F&M Bwing build up and BIG mods!

Haha, you guys! I do make a mess Michael, an awful mess, tools buried under tools, but i tidy up as i go TBH as i get a bit OCD about it all lol.
Working on the main wing right now, what a PITA, its getting there, but again, some tedious porous surfaces, and quite a bit of blending and rescribing are taking a fair bit of time, but I'm close now to having a hull i can start putting together on the armature, with.....the shock....GLUE haha, be nice to start actually start some interesting stuff instead of polishing it up......pics to come!

lee

Main wing in basic form added. now i can start to assemble whats here, finalise any filling, scribing, rivet drilling and clean up, and have some killer fun with OE donor parts! main wing was maybe the hardest part thus far, so much to keep track of as it builds, all parts were lay flat on glass, heated to be perfectly flat, this helps them marry up nicely, but there are still areas to keep an eye on. The centre recess in the main wing centre, this area is tricky, as it sits lower, than the edge of the surrounding wing surface, nothing that can be helped in casting such a complicated chunk of parts, but go easy, and dry fit, dry fit, and dry fit, test everything over and over till it all meets and marries nicely and as flush as can be, take huge care, NOT to sand too much wing join surface.
I think the hardest part of the main wing are the leading edges, pretty sure id lost some wing contour, so my leading edges were a pain to get even close, I've done my best here, and its not too bad, bit i still have a slight wave after a LOT of blending and opening surface bubbles, by the time its painted, or, i pass on into the afterlife, no one will ever know LOL.

Those Danbo's, they get everywhere!

Just for Michael, this is as messy as i like it to get mate lol, it does get worse, but i hate the clutter lol!

bests......lee

Hehe, im a model "maker" who likes a clean spot bro LOL. So next stage, the main wing gun housing, bit of filling to do, gotta sculpt some Magicsculp around some of the plating to save it, ill nail that, i always drill out those bubbles, easier to work on, then the edge seams will be cleaned on joining as there pitted a lil bit!

Heres the basic set of sub assemblies. All are now cleaned up, with just some very finer points to be worked on, but all are happy to be skewered now!
Many, countless hours of cleaning, sanding, filling, blending, sculpting, scratch building, using real kit parts for accuracy, adjusting, shimming, drilling, cutting, tapping and forward thinking, went into getting this far, skills I've learned over a very long period, so if your somebody who steps into a studioscale forum, and soils on the carpet, please find a home elsewhere, there are MANY talented model "makers" in here, not just the ones who whine nobody comments on your thread :).

lee

I didnt have that much bubbles in my kit ! At least not on the gun pod... I drill holes too, then glue a styrene rod with CA, once cut and sanded flush it's perfect !

Keep up the good work !

Yeah its been a bubble affair Julien, nothing i can't handle, just kills your spirit after a bit when you think you can really crack on, you gotta do more of the tedious stuff, but thats the game, and it gives us a super clean model in the end, its worth it, and lets face it, look how rough the ILM castings were in comparison!
Never tried the styrene rod trick, may have to and put another string in my bow as a model "maker" :lol

lee

I didnt have that much bubbles in my kit ! At least not on the gun pod... I drill holes too, then glue a styrene rod with CA, once cut and sanded flush it's perfect !

Keep up the good work !
yeah,same here mine has very few bubbles.clean and quite sharp detailing.i don't expect too many fix ups to do.
very inspiring work here:thumbsup

Cheers guys! Its not that bad mofo, just more irritating as it sets you back so many hours i guess, detailing it super sharp ill give it that, just niggly bubbles, but then, this does look a pig of a kit to cast, almost home now on said niggles, then its all happy camping in styrene, kit parts and brass rod, it'll be fun!
Paint will be a big plus on this, it a great array of colours all muddled in, hopefully i can get close to what Guy and Julien have laid down already!

lee

This is what i thought id do for the engines. Use a Brabham BT46 from rim as a reflector, it fits nicely inside, i would hand turn these out of a piece of driftwood, but i lack the skills and a lathe, and the driftwood TBH, but anyway, just dropped an orange LED inside, hooked to a cheap 9V and, well, what do you guys think, brings it a little closer to the prop, which seems to use Halogen bulbs and turned alloy reflectors, but using LED's, we don't need no blooming alloy lol.
Fudged a rim, need one, or more if you got em, save me buying more Brabhams.......hoping for some good Karma here!

lee

Guy Cowen you are a soldier, thanks mate, just need one more after a schoolboy foolish error haha!
Julien, thanks mate, but ill try to do a better job next time, thinking about putting a styrene plant in the garden, with plenty of sunlight, i may be able to grow my own!

lee

Guy Cowen you are a soldier, thanks mate, just need one more after a schoolboy foolish error haha!
Julien, thanks mate, but ill try to do a better job next time, thinking about putting a styrene plant in the garden, with plenty of sunlight, i may be able to grow my own!

lee

Haha if it ever works, please let me know how you did ! :)

I think I'm going to do the same as you on my B, looks so cool !

It doesn't, I've tried it but I have grown a huge 9 foot 312B that flowers all the bits you don't need!!!

Cheers mate, thats saved me some wasted energy :lol. Well, really want to do a bit on this, but, i really have sprung a nasty reaction to this resin, hands were a tiny bit sore the other day, dry....just did five minutes cutting a booster cone away, and bam, burning and itching like hell, i see a future in latex.....:lol

lee

It looks orite, but I don't think you're really trying Lee, get your finger out !!

:lol....you know I'm kidding...it looks fab mate !!

Phil

Hah, cheers Phil, its getting there, driving me loopy, but getting there. Greg its been a bit of a labor of love now, the more I've built, the more I've had to go through hell filling bubbles, its tedious but worth the trouble for such a nice model. Just got done priming the engines on a new styrene base, just easier for lighting, soldered all my light board up, to realise, the wire is a bit stiff for any decent use, so just ordered some nice 20awg silicone and JST connectors, should make it a bit easier to run them through.

lee

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back