Red Planet

Anyone has or know where to get the harness pants and the Toshiba thing on the chest? I am missing those.
I think no one has that Toshiba cartridge including Propstore

Funny i just saw some of the props from this film,
I dont know which ones i havnt seen the film but it looked like the ship in the top pic
the dome of it any way ill get some pics of it next week if any one is interested

I am looking for the harness too. I gad one on my previous complete suit I owned. Fairly complex item. Would prob need to have one made using another as a pattern. They did not make many harnesses unfortunately

Steve

On a related note, I've always liked AMEE's battery / fuel cell. Looks like a neat little prop to me. Detailed.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screenshot1 25 Enhanced.jpg
    Screenshot1 25 Enhanced.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 389
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374601528.662515.jpg

Just had lights fitted to the inside of the helmet - they were stripped out when the scenes they were used in wrapped.

At XFX... alot of helmet cleanup of parts and prep for plating, and all the magnetic stuff for the attachment of all the upper helmets to the collars... yea, I liked that project very much. The people were great and the mood was pretty fun.

I, too, spent HOURS on these suits and bits.... Egads....
i think I clocked a 32 hour day once... Was told I could nap on the couch while we waited for something... I forget...

I can't believe I'm in the presence of some of the people who worked on the suits and helmets from RED PLANET. You guys (and or gals) are amazing. RED PLANET is one of my all-time favs.

If anyone can answer, I've always been curious about the helmet glass. Is it actually a piece that slides up and down? In some shots from the movie it looks CGI-ed.

Jon

I can't believe I'm in the presence of some of the people who worked on the suits and helmets from RED PLANET. You guys (and or gals) are amazing. RED PLANET is one of my all-time favs.

If anyone can answer, I've always been curious about the helmet glass. Is it actually a piece that slides up and down? In some shots from the movie it looks CGI-ed.

Jon

IIRC if it moved it was CGI, if it was static real. someone asked about the shoes / boots. The soles at least were Oakleys. I had a pair loooooong ago but cant remember the actual model. I do remember they were were slip on.

These were the shoes im thinking of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oakley-Wome...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
I'm thinking of modelling the suit hard parts in Blender so if anyone has any detailed pics of the screen used suits (helmets, collar, chest & boots) then I would love to see them, Red planet is one of my all time favourite films simply because they got the fluid dynamics of fire in space as close as I can imagine to what real fire in space looks like :D

I'm going to watch the film again tonight!

Jon,

To answer your question about the helmet glass, mine opens. This is the original Pettengill helmet used for the vfx shots when the "nematodes" explode.

I would love to have a complete helmet or suit. One of my favourite movie space helmets. The movie...Not so much.

Mike.

Attachments

• DSC00153.JPG
    DSC00153.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 269
  • DSC00156.JPG
    DSC00156.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
  • DSC00155.JPG
    DSC00155.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
  • DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
Raven,

Mike here.

If that question is for me, my visor is haphazardly attached by two of the cheapest screws and corresponding holes. This allows it to retract inside the helmet.

Hi Mike, I have had both a hero helmet and a stuvt and neither had this feature. Very intrigued. Mucous you post any photos. I just managed to find most of the tools for the suit which will post soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steve,
You are very lucky to own hero and stunt versions of this helmet. As I said before, this was a well designed helmet. Because mine was used for vfx, it has a few shortcomings. Namely a broken (purposeful) top piece bridged by a metal band, and some delamination of the gold film on the visor. (Difficult to see using iphone). Also, if you look closely to the inside shot, bottom left, you will see one of the two flimsy screws that they used to manually actuate the visor. If anyone can tell me what the sticker with the number 4 (top left inside view) specifically represents, I would like to identify it.
Thanks,
Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 265
Hi Mike

In my opinion your helmet was only used for the SFX shots when Pettengill dies. The retracting screen was probably fir filming access only. As is the missing area at the rear of the helmet - to enable a camera to get inside.

When the screens retract earlier in the film it is is done by CGI and not using a real visor. Interesting piece though.

Steve

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I too, feel like this was just for vfx shots. I wasn't sure of how many helmets were made for production, or if this number 4 corresponded with a hero/stunt helmet? Possibly damaged by accident? I was aware of the CGI on the visors, and that a camera was inserted in the back of this helmet for that specific shot. The previous owner was on the vfx team, but couldn't answer definitively, if it was indeed a back-up stunt or hero helmet.
Still looking for a hero helmet...
Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back