Who you gonna Call...when you got $80K

I got to ride in that! It was a hell of a fun ride, especially when the siren and lights got switched on while passing bunches of people! :D

I know that they restored her for a promotion for the "Ghostbusters" video game. A beautiful sight to see, no less. :D

Actually this is the Universal Studios Ecto-1 replica. It started its like in USF Orlando as the show car for the Ghostbusters attraction, at the time it was a highly inaccurate replica. While all the elements where there, the roof rack was way off, and the door decals too small. After the closure of the attraction the car was held is storage until sold off to a private collector (name withheld). This collector then restored the car and gave it a much more accurate roof rack, but decided to leave some inaccuracies (like the strobe light bars instead of rotating Code units.) It was then sold at a mere 30 something thousand dollars (to be on display in a museum) apparently it never went there as it ended up being auctioned.

The Ecto-1 restored for promoting the video game is the REAL Ecto-1 used in Ghostbusters and at the beginning of Ghostbusters II. That car HAS NOT left the ownership of Sony, and I doubt it will. If it did, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in Dan Aykroyd's hands.

One thing is for sure, it seems the only people who know the facts behind the Ecto-1 and its sisters out there are Ghostheads, everyone else (including many replica owners and the media) have no clue what they're talking about.

P.S. loosetoon, I'm willing to bet the Ecto-1 around Athens is actually the Ecto-Dub. A recently converted Dodge Magnum. It has Swan wing doors, a fitting stream lines roof rack, one white light bar, and a slick pneumatic suspension system. It was recently in the parade at Dragon Con.

P.S. loosetoon, I'm willing to bet the Ecto-1 around Athens is actually the Ecto-Dub. A recently converted Dodge Magnum. It has Swan wing doors, a fitting stream lines roof rack, one white light bar, and a slick pneumatic suspension system. It was recently in the parade at Dragon Con.

Hey, Dan. Yeah, I know Chase's Ecto Magnum and that's the first thing I thought of too. But according to my friend who saw the one tooling around Athens, it looked to him like a movie version.

Actually this is the Universal Studios Ecto-1 replica. It started its like in USF Orlando as the show car for the Ghostbusters attraction, at the time it was a highly inaccurate replica. While all the elements where there, the roof rack was way off, and the door decals too small. After the closure of the attraction the car was held is storage until sold off to a private collector (name withheld). This collector then restored the car and gave it a much more accurate roof rack, but decided to leave some inaccuracies (like the strobe light bars instead of rotating Code units.) It was then sold at a mere 30 something thousand dollars (to be on display in a museum) apparently it never went there as it ended up being auctioned.

The Ecto-1 restored for promoting the video game is the REAL Ecto-1 used in Ghostbusters and at the beginning of Ghostbusters II. That car HAS NOT left the ownership of Sony, and I doubt it will. If it did, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in Dan Aykroyd's hands.

Oh, okay! I've seen that replica before. It was back in 1993 (If I recall correctly) during Halloween Horror Nights. The final show of the night was "Robosaurus II," where a mechanical robot gets possessed by a ghost. They had the Ghostbusters pull up in the Ecto replica and take down the robot. :D Man, that was a good memory.

Anyways, yes, I saw the USF replica. I also remember visiting "The Bone Yard".

loosetoon - I know exactly which one your friend is talking about.

243422029_34f8861f2d_o.jpg

This lovely Visage is from Athens, Georgia. I believe it to be a 71 Cadillac, if your friend has truly seen it driving around lately this is very good news. The last I heard about this beauty it was yarded due to some electrical problems.

I don't know who the owner is, but I did try to get in contact with him for the D*Con parade last year. Oh well, maybe this year.

CB2001 - I miss the Ghostbusters attraction at USF, during one visit as a kid I went through it seven times in one day. I could never get enough of it.

The story about the cop threatening to arrest the guy in Athens with the GB car is a lot like what happened to my friend with the Sony one. Most cops ignore it, several having followed him to just get a look at the car when he stops, and know that no one is going to mistake it for an emergency vehicle, but one cop in who saw it when he was driving it threatened to do a similar thing. It's like a standard ****** test for cops, to determine if the cop is a small dick compensating power trip ******* with a badge or a regular cop.

As long as I seem to have the right experts on this thread maybe one of you can answer a question. My friends and I went to see Ghostbusters open at this drive in theatre http://www.drive-ins.com/pictures/ilt53dr001.jpg 53 drive in which is located in Palatine Illinois. Coincidentally right by where they shot a lot of the Blues Brothers.

We arrived at the drive in early to park and get a good spot. We noticed this cool ambulance parked in the drive in nicely tucked in with the mix of cars. Anyways once we saw the movie we all realized that ambulance was in fact the Ecto. Of course when that realization hit we went to look for it and it was gone. I have a feeling it left either at the beginning or midpoint of the movie.

I know this would be a typical Ackroyd move to make since he did live in the area. I have never been able to track down anymore info about this happening. It was crazy because I was talking to others at the drive in and they noticed it as well.

Let me do some digging for you on which particular Ecto-1 that may be. I can assure you though it is not Dan Aykroyd's, while he did campaign to buy the Ecto-1 (possibly the Ecto-1A) from Sony neither car have left studio ownership. I can confidently tell you he does not own an original or a replica.

Any other details of course you have would help, year of the Cadillac (if it was a cadillac) and so on.

CB2001 - I miss the Ghostbusters attraction at USF, during one visit as a kid I went through it seven times in one day. I could never get enough of it.

Hey, sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I have to replay to this.

I honestly never got a chance to see the "Ghostbusters" attraction itself, only the "Robosaurus II" atttraction from "Halloween Horror Nights". But I know how you feel about missing attractions at USF (I miss "Back to the Future", the Hitchcock attraction, and the Bates Mansion and Motel).

However, if you are in the Florida area and happen to be going to MegaCon, there's going to be a Ghostbusters' ride there, called the Ecto-1B, a 1970 Cadillac Miller Meteor. But here's the link to the MegaCon page about it: http://www.megaconvention.com/view/programming/ (scroll down until you see Movie Cars at MegaCon)
There's a page about it here: http://www.ecto1b.com/

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back