A-Team Murdock's leather jacket

Here you go, crazy fools... all that practice paid off. Time to leave '12 on a crazy note.

a_j___s_hm_murdock_jacket_74___anter_master_by_ajhoward-d5pxk43.jpg

Been a few years since I've posted, (not much else to say really) but just wanted to share with whoever is interested about what Funko released on their H.M Murdock Pop vinyl.

AJPaint.jpg

I bought this out of the love of the show, and serious curiosity at how a designer would take on such a fun feat. When I opened it up and saw what was on the back, I went from, "Hey, that's pretty good!" to completely numb after a few seconds of staring - I knew this was imaged from my replica and not the original jacket. I thought I was just seeing things, but I verified it after a bit of studying and comparison (and after 24 hours of doubting myself completely again, went back to yet again make sure)

The dead giveaways are the higher 9 in "1970", the tongue, the right side teeth (see how it's just a bit higher and thinner?) The top left ear (curved, not straight) and the tan points on both sides of the mane are an exact match. The original jacket does not have these things.

I've had a few days for this to roll around in my head and still shocked, kinda stoked... bit grumbled that the designer didn't drop a clue.

Honest question - how would you react if this happened to you?

I would try and get a paycheck as the original artist of that version.

Of course, consult a relevant professional.

BTW, love this jacket. Been considering getting one for years.

Last edited:
Thanks Southpaw. Unfortunately from what I gather on the legality of this, collecting anything is a no-go because the replica itself is infringing.

Well, at least I can say the art was good enough to make it onto a licensed product, though I'd never set foot anywhere near the design process. Maybe I'll try taking up a custom order here and there in the near future - seems to be a good sign to go for a round 2.

A.J.

Ha... welcome to the club! I've had many of my props copied by official licensees over the years. Take it as a compliment and move on... that's about all you can do.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Ha... welcome to the club! I've had many of my props copied by official licensees over the years. Take it as a compliment and move on... that's about all you can do.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Thanks. Just in case anyone wants to see somewhat of a side by side... the "forehead" proportions are a dead giveaway, along with the nose, wider chin and whisker area, the shorter tongue, and the bottom right mane is stretched out a little further, just like mine.

Seeing is believing I suppose... they squished my original pic for a more round shape (probably to fill the back as much as possible) then edited in a few fill-ins due to the shrinking (wider teeth, etc.)

Props to the design team for the effort, but why do such detail on the jacket, then paint his hat black and not navy blue? Huge thumbs down for attention to detail.

ComparePic.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back