WTF: Shawshank Redemption: Accurate Bible

OppositeofAngel

I am looking for a bible that is accurate to the one seen in The Shawshank Redemption. From reviewing stills of the movie prop, the bible is the King James Edition, and printed by the National Bible Press. I have seen a few bibles from the 1950's that look similar, just wondering if there was a specific version used for the movie.

Then of course, I would have to cut out the outline for a rock hammer from Exodus back to go with the story. I am following the rock hammer thread as well, as I am starting a Shawshank collection of my own.

Here is some reference pics of the real prop...
27zi6nk.jpg

2z3q7f9.jpg

4rry47.jpg

Thanks for any info or leads. Thanks PHIL

I know a bunch of pastors in the Philadelphia area. I've been contacting them and asking them to look around. If I come up with any, I'll let you know. One for me and another for someone else are already pre-spoken for, but I'm hoping I can find a stash somewhere.

You're on the right track. It's a 1940s Nat'l Bible Press version WITHOUT the words of ****** printed in red. Basically just the no-frills edition. Also the attached bookmark should be black to be considered accurate.

Believe it or not, they do pop up on Ebay from time to time. During my search, it was always an item that garnered several bids. (whether they were Shawshank fans, I'm not sure) The copy I ended up with was the purple bookmarked version, but thanks to this screencap, I can confirm it was used in at least one scene:

th_tsr3.jpg

Do a search on the forums, there's a few old topics about details of the Bible. My memory's a bit fuzzy as it's been awhile since did any research on it. Good luck!

i apologize
i jumped to the conclusion you were going to make a replica of the prop
ie. the thing that is pictured in the first post of this thread

I have the correct bible; they're not too hard to find. I've had several over the years (red-letters and accurate copies)!

Someone actually suggested that I make a copy of it rather than cut up the original bible because that's "sacrilegious." I suppose they didn't consider that the copy would also be a bible...

- D

Cool Thead. I too am following the Hammer thread. Great info on the Bible, scored one for 4.99.

Do a search on the good ol bay for "Old Bibles, vintage Bibles, used Bibles" and such. Found the red letter one. Close enough for me. Just a few differences on the outside.

I plan on making a template out of plastic, razor knifing the pages to fit the hammer. Yes, I will hack it up. :angel

Riott, you could make a template but there's really great reference of the cutout! An easy way to do it super-accurately is simply to lightly trace it in with a sharp pencil before cutting - you can see exactly where the outline should intersect each letter on the page!

Riott, you could make a template but there's really great reference of the cutout! An easy way to do it super-accurately is simply to lightly trace it in with a sharp pencil before cutting - you can see exactly where the outline should intersect each letter on the page!

Didn't think of that.. Whoo hoo! So the first page will be accurate, ill make the template off of that for the rest of the book. Awesome!

do they know you plan to cut it up?
Yeah. Would this be considered sacrilegious?
It's just a book as any other. The words and message are what should be considered important if you believe in it. Think about it. If you re-wrote those words onto plain notebook paper it wouldn't be any different. It's the message inside that counts.

I say cut away!

I'm not one to rain on anyones' parade,but isn't this supposed to be in the junkyard? If not - my apologies for my confusion,as I'm still new here,and I don't completely understand what all constitutes junkyard standards. I just wonder if this would be more effective there?

Even if you're new here, you know that weve got admins that make those decisions for us right? If its not in the correct spot, it will end up there eventually :lol

So what kind of rock hammer did you get?

SO its a 1940's era KJV bible, anyone have one that is identical to the ones in the movie. The ones I have seen are from 1955 and 1957 that are close but the title page is slightly different and the Exodus pages are completely different. Anyone have a specific year of bible to be looking for for a good match? I have looked all over eBay and nothing looks close enough.

1940s National Bible Press King James Version without the words of ****** printed in red.

That nugget of info above landed me a Bible just like the one pictured your above post save for the one I found has the red print. You can see the difference on the cover. I also think the one I landed has a better color on the page edges. That one above looks to have it as well, but either the photo whited it out or they scraped it off. So it works for me. Ill keep digging for the real one. This one was 5 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360189695436

Last edited:
here are photos of my accurate bible.
mine has the purple page marker, which was also seen on screen.
there is NO coloring on the edges. the red on the edges was to tell the ones with the red words apart from the other ones.
I actually have the original box this bible came in, and it has no date but the 40s is the correct era.
sorry the exodus pic is blurry, its hard to hold the bible open, and take a one handed pic with a small camera. :lol
BTW... i will NOT be cutting up this bible. #1, i dont think its right, and #2, this is such a RARE bible from the 40s, that it seems a shame to destroy it. ive also added a pic of my shawshank collection.
DSC00427.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back