Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Volpin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
EDIT: Holy long thread, Batman!

Go to P. 16 for final pics and video of my "Discovery" style Daft Punk Guy helmet.
Go to P. 20 for the start of my TRON remake.

———

I've got a thread going on about this as well over at the 405th, but figured I'd toss my progress out here for you guys to see as well.

daft-punk-helmet.jpg

I started doing research for this project back in February, and the build started in late March. In my research, I did come across a thread on the RPF where people were discussing Guy's helmet. One member called it "deceptively complex." After having worked on the mold master for a few months, I can definitely say he was right.

There is a pep file floating around for Guy's helmet, but the more I looked at it, the more it looked incorrect. I decided to do a full sculpt from scratch.

I should preface this by saying I have never done a helmet sculpt before, and because of this my entire process has largely been invented on the spot. I've learned a LOT in the duration of this build, and I definitely know what to watch out for next time. In the end, this helmet will be a mix of the "Discovery" and "Human After All" helmets - having the shape of the latter and the illumination of the former.

First thing was first, I needed to make accurate illustrations of the helmet and figure out the wiring I'm going to be tossing in there. Guy's helmet is the gold one, with the large black "fishbowl" visor, and large color bars left and right. After a lot of research, I built this in Illustrator:

3383268111_d959c5fae9_o.png

You'll notice the mention of shift registers in there. I'm going to be using an Arduino programmable logic board to power the LED banks. By using 4 shift registers, I can control 32 independent channels for all the LED effects. These will all be selectable from a controller connected to the helmet, which will be build into a wrist piece (this - the wrist controller - is the way Daft Punk controlled their V1 helmets)

I won't be making the LEX matrix that covers the front part of the helmet for 2 reasons: #1 - you wouldn't be able to see anything out of it, and #2 - I plan on running the whole helmet off a small (pocket-sized) battery pack. An LED bank of that size would require a backpack system. While that is canon to the "Discovery" era helmets, I didn't want to have to build a backpack system for support.

Next step was some PCB layout design. This is the "chin" LED banks, where you see the red, yellow, and green square LEDs in the picture above, as well as the 2 rows of white LEDs. There will be 2 of these boards, a left and right.

3530595463_3339c50f9d.jpg

This is the board that will house 4 white LEDs and illuminate all of the color banks on the left and right sides of the helmet. There will be 16 of these total.

3383268035_eac98868ed_o.png

Enough drawings, onto the actual work!

Strange as it sounds, I took the template I made above, and built a faux 3-D helmet out of it on illustration board. This gave me a rough idea of scale before actually sitting down and carving clay. I also took the excess material from the illustration board and kept it as templates to put over the working helmet to make sure I was getting all the curves right.

3384045020_784968bd02_b.jpg

This next part is a little weird. This is my first helmet sculpt, so I'm really winging it here process-wise. I started by covering my fake 3-D thing with a bunch of expanding foam:

3383230977_1611c82dc6_b.jpg

Which I then carved into a rough shape:

3384045246_a12308af46_b.jpg

...really rough...

3383231189_fb5edc08b0_b.jpg

Then I got started with some clay, which (after drying) got some apoxie sculpt in the lower places. I know this seems like I'm using every material in the book, and I think in the future I can cut down on this a lot... but its actually working out rather well so far.

3383231317_607427b3f2_b.jpg

The ear puck areas were trimmed out

3383231437_e6cebf6355_b.jpg

And then I built up some of the areas in bondo to match the curvature of my diagrams

3383231931_2187523101_b.jpg

Ear pucks were carved out of MDF screwed together to make sure I kept the same shape.

3383231659_c5207b8d9a_b.jpg

and were shaved down on a router

3383232447_17b8163ff5_b.jpg

A couple of test fits

3384046200_40c09621f7_b.jpg

3384046708_e4fde37772_b.jpg

And after anchoring the baseplates for the ear pucks (am I just making up words here?) and sanding down the first coat of bondo.

3384047218_aa28753b7a_b.jpg

3384047634_76dda86442_b.jpg

THE QUESTION I GET ASKED MOST OFTEN: How are you going to see out of it / How are you going to make the visor?

The master is 1/8" deeper in the area where the visor will go. Once I pull a finished mold, I'll cut that part out and make a vacuum-form mold from the resin piece. This will be used to vac-form the visor out of tinted PETG or Acrylic.

I have more progress, but need to run to a meeting, so I'll be updating this again later today.

Edit: I know my pics are huge, so if they need to be taken down in size a bit, just let me know.

Last edited:
Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

Excellent build blog! I always thought this would be an interesting electronics project but never wanted to go all the way and make the helmet to install them into. There are a few really good builds on youtube that have been linked from here before. I'm interested to see this one through to the finish. :thumbsup

Whoa this looks cool! I eagerly await updates. Can't wait for the LEDs!

Awesome start on the helmet. I really like seeing it through all it's stages

Strange as it sounds, I took the template I made above, and built a faux 3-D helmet out of it on illustration board. This gave me a rough idea of scale before actually sitting down and carving clay. I also took the excess material from the illustration board and kept it as templates to put over the working helmet to make sure I was getting all the curves right.

3384045020_784968bd02_b.jpg

Hey Volpin! Glad you finally made it!

Thanks for posting these WIP shots, I didn't know how you started this one. I take it the inner board is the actual wearable part of the helmet…Can you explain how you figured that part out?

I'm watching the hell out of this thread.

I can assume there will be video when it is done?

Great stuff so far!

Awesome !!!

How many hours of work went into this ´til now ?

At the point above, about 10 hours. By the time I get to the bottom of this post, probably closer to 40. At where I am right now, I'm at 60+

Hey Volpin! Glad you finally made it!

Thanks for posting these WIP shots, I didn't know how you started this one. I take it the inner board is the actual wearable part of the helmet…Can you explain how you figured that part out?

There's a tutorial floating around out there by a guy named "Featherweight" on how to make a cardboard helmet. It involves cutting strips of board to fit around your head like a circlet, then making arches that go front to back and left to right to construct the "dome." I did this, then cut corresponding shapes out of the illustration board and mounted the profiles on the rig.

Unfortunately (since it looked so god-awful ridiculous) I don't have any process shots of this part of the build. To be honest, I was pretty doubtful it would work at all, so I didn't document it. It would probably work again for another helmet of this complexity, but something with a lot of undercuts to it wouldn't work as well.

So, from the status above, I sanded down the and put on a coat of Krylon primer. At this point I thought I only had a little more to go before the final curve was set... but later on I found out I was way off.

3386850502_c3856c8a06_b.jpg

3386850418_545f55144e_b.jpg

The rough areas you're seeing around the steps in the helmet will be covered eventually by the upper and back "hoops." I was only getting the main curvature down at this point.

After taking some of my templates out and checking the curvature of the surface, I determined that there were some major low & flat spots. Some as deep as .25" from where they needed to be. Since this is a mold and I'm not worried about weight, these got some bondo build-up. You can't really tell but there about 4 different "build up, sand down" rotations in here.

In case anyone is wondering, I alternate colors of primer coats to know how far down I've sanded.

This was after the lowest spots had been filled in:

3421583909_56d7ba6043_b.jpg

3421584091_152f359369_b.jpg

After another light skim coat of bondo, sanding, and more primer, I was satisfied with the curve of the helm. I built up several layers of primer and buffed them down with steel wool to clean the surface up a bit and show any low spots in the reflections

3421811422_06327e7f41_b.jpg

It had the texture of an old bowling ball. Kind of neat. After this, I marked out what areas needed to be raised and filled in the lowest spots with florist's foam

3421811556_4e0cdbb7b7_b.jpg

these areas were then built up with Apoxie Sculpt and sanded down to a rough shape

3421811704_42d047cddd_b.jpg

3421811862_aec8cb210d_b.jpg

More incoming soon. The guys at the 405th have seen my most recent progress, but I don't want to make a post that's three miles long, so I'll space these out a bit.

Last edited:

Loving it all, I'm really excited about your planning process and how smooth it looks.

This build thread is AWESOME!!

Fantastic work so far. I cant wait to see its completion.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back