Help Winnie Cooper become Wonder Woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is about Danica's Wonder Woman costume, so I'll begin with an update: a picture of her plated breastplate, belt, crown, and wristbands.

parts_gold_2.jpg

Those of you following this thread know that while Danica was going as Wonder Woman, I was going as Iron Man. TMP was providing my suit, which was held up due to some unforeseen troubles on his end. Nonetheless, the raw suit arrived last week, and we figured with extreme luck and rushing, we could get it painted, plated, and prepped in time.

While Don Bies has been supervising both projects for us, and his wife Anna has been sewing Danica's costume, the work on the Iron Man suit was being handled by one of their friends - a fellow ILM/Kerner colleague named Mark Buck.

Tragically, Mark was killed in an auto accident last Thursday night.

In the few conversations he and I had, he seemed smart and kind, but truthfully, I hardly knew him. Since he and Don's families were close, I'd like to invite Don expound a bit on who he was, and what his loss means to our industry. Suffice it to say we've lost one of the good guys.

_Mike

That's horrible Mike. But where did you get those plated? Are they GOld plated or Vacumetalized?

Brad

That sucks - Car accidents take so many before they should go.:thumbsdown

The gold looks nice, the breastplate and belt are fantastic - although I thought the bracelets were Silver. :confused
Even in the pic you posted on http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=46135&page=29
They look silver to me (just the bottom part reflecting the gold of her other pieces). But the top looks silver compared to the tiara. of course you can do them however you want, just I think they are traditionally colored silver.

Last edited:
The gold looks nice, the breastplate and belt are fantastic - although I thought the bracelets were Silver. :confused

Yes, that was the original plan. There's been a bunch of weird mojo around these projects since the beginning, and in this case, Don had to send stuff off to get plated in order not to miss the deadline, even though at the time he couldn't reach us for approval because we were out of the country. He made a judgment call (the right one) and I wasn't available to clarify this prior to the plating being done. It'll be redone at some point.

_Mike

What a tragedy. :(

On a lighter note, those pieces seemed to have turned out beautifully.
The sculpt for the breastplate is tops.
I agree about the bracelets being the traditional silver.

Anxious to see how the fabric based pieces turn out.

our Condolensces to Mark, his Family, and everyone who knew him..
Very, sad :(

The pieces are coming out great, can't wait to see this project finished..

Mike, allow me to hijack this thread temporarily in honor of Mark Buck. I'll update everyone on the techniques used to create the armor soon.

Thank you for your condolences regarding Mark.

He was a good friend and an amazing artist. He was larger than life, and always brought a smile to everyone's face, even at the most desperate times. You've all seen his work in Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, Bicentennial Man, Episodes 1-3, the Special Editions, Galaxy Quest, The Matrix Sequels, Pirates of the Caribbean and countless others. He worked on the upcoming Star Trek movie and had just finished work on Terminator 4.

Please keep his family in your thoughts. His son turns six next week.

You can read the tributes and memories pouring in to Mark's family here.

--Don Bies

Rest well, Little Buddy.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Don. I look forward to seeing Mark's work on this project, Star Trek, and the countless others he has given us. His spirt and work live on.

Mike for the head piece are you going to go for a metallic finish or matte finish on the red star? Will the platting have to be sanded down for the paint to adhere?

Last edited:
Wow...I'm really sorry to hear about the loss to the filmmaking community. A lot of those films that you listed in his portfolio are ones that I enjoyed immensely.

Sorry here to hear of such a tragedy. On a lighter note the armor parts of the costume came out fantastic. She's going to be hit at the party this Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back