How do you get a thick seam out of latex?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I have this rubber mask and it has a really thick seam along the top of the head and it's sides. If it were resin, sure, sand it off. Latex is a little different. I tried cutting off as much as I could then applying more latex over it in hopes of masking it but it's not working out to well. Sugestions?

Use your dremal tool with the cotton bullet used to polish and some rubber cement thinner. That should do it. Just dip the bullet in the thinner and go over the seam,take your time and it should remove most of it without any problems.

I know this is an old thread, but I have been looking to answer this question also. here in the UK, we dont seem to sell 'rubber cement thinner', but I have found someone who runs a fetish store that sells latex thinner (all in the hunt for thinner, honest!!) anyhow I have emailed the guy to see if he knows if it will work.

Ive also been trawling the internet and have found this tutorial, which looks very helpful

seaming a latex mask.mpg - YouTube

So although im sure you have solved your seam problem, I thought i would add to the thread in case anyone else (like me) comes looking for answer

Cut it off with sharp scissors, leaving a "trench" over the seam. Cut away more than the seam, i.e. INTO the mask a little bit. Then, rinse with mineral spirits. NOW you can fix the seam with thickened latex. Simply add cabosil into the latex rubber until it's the consistency of peanut butter. Trow it into the seam and wipe the edge with something like a q-tip soaked in mineral spirits. Treat it like bondo. As it sets up you can stipple in a texture or use a tool to blend wrinkles and such. Hit with a hair dryer or heat gun to speed up cure.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back