Borg Queen: Body suit build / casting questions pg 3

Re: Star Trek: Borg Queen costume questions

kevoris, love those pics! I think it definitely needs to be sculpted if it is to look right. And I hate back-and-forthing between sites, but in response to a post on Dewback Wing about slip casting the prosthetics, which may spark up more discussion here, I posted:

Neon1138 said:
I don't think slip casting would be appropriate. Foam latex has to be cooked but I've seen foam urethane, which sets up at room temp, used to varying degrees of success. Many have concerns about possible fumes when used as a facial prosthetic, but throwing the pieces into one of those vacuum sealer bags (the ones used for preserving food and the like) sucks all that out without damaging the pieces... just make sure to do it before painting. A lot of people would recommend multiple pieces, but if you haven't done that before I think a single piece appliance would be your best bet.

For an idea of what this would entail check out http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/index.php, awesome place for physical special effects gags and make-up.

If you have a chance, tk1780, glance through there, it'll help you to understand the dynamics of producing this costume in a "professional" manner, i.e., the most difficult way possible. :lol

I love this costume and I'm so glad someone is having a go!

Having worked with craft foam almost too much, I do think it would be very possible to get a close likeness to the rib casing, but I agree that the breast cups and over the shoulders would not likely work at all. Even if you could heat it and stretch it over a form it just would never hug the arms like you would want it to.

However, I wonder if it might be possible to sew something like a black divers suit for the upper part of the costume... gluing it to a plastic formed shape that you want.

Penwiper got a plastic form from ebay and put stickers on it as a base for her Dark Galadriel armor chest piece and I don't see why something like that couldn't be done with gluing the wet suit to it... Again, just for the top and around the arms, with the rest being done in craft foam.

If you're interested more in methods with craft foam, just let me know. :)

Guys this has been just great, thank you for the help. Neon Sentry I should put you on my payroll ! I have people that work for me at my office that I would love if they had half of your skill for finding things. My freind was very happy wit hall the effort you and everyone else offered up on this.

Sounds like in 2009 we will have a Borg Queen at Dragon Con. She is looking into this hard for next year. Not enough time to do it this year but figures for 09 will be doable.

Thanks again, you guys Rock ! Neon Sentry PM me if you ever need a job in Alberta ! :lol:thumbsup

Wow, thanks for the positive note for me to end my night on, and you're quite welcome.

I'm glad she's taking up the challenge and diving into this; I'm quite excited to see the end result next year. Give her my best wishes!

Re: Star Trek: Borg Queen. Body Suit costume constuction questions. Pics on page 3

Yup should be very cool. Hoping it will work out for her as I know I would love to see this made.

Gang here are some pictures of the body suit. Some pics provided by members here. Anyone have a clue who might be up for the chalenge of casting up something like this for like not a huge fortune ? Know this is kind of a Junkyard question but this is just as in for getting info, not making a deal.

Note this gal is 5-2 and around 108 pounds, tiny pretty thing ( she is going to hit me when she sees this ) :lol Again any info or scources team please post them up or send me a PM. She wanted me to say a huge thanks to everyone who has droped some info on helping. Please keep it coming.

Here are the pics for examples of what she is after.

BorgQueenSuit.jpg

post-531-1209330370.png

post-531-1209330335.png

Great stuff man, thanks much. She just told me she has started work on the head appliance and is doing some head and body casts. She has got a lot of info from here and other places to give her ideas on how t odo this up.

Looks like we will have a Borg Queen gang, thanks for all your imput. You all rock with your willingness to share info and help with ideas.

Thanks much ! :thumbsup

Those sculpt pics are awesome, TK1780! I've never seen those before! Where did you find them? Also, I have been tracking down the greeblies on the Borg Queen Skull, turns out they were Zoids parts! I'm mentioning this, because for a while I've also been trying to figure out what the hooks are that fasten her torso into her body. If you look closely, especially the hinges, they look an awful lot like Zoid parts too, but I'm not sure which one. I'm not sure what the hooks in the back of skull and the "distributor cap" are, if they are a found item or what, so I scratchbuilt the ones on my sculpture. I'll see if I can find the picture I used for reference. I'm hoping to go to Dragon Con next year and would love to see a really good Borg Queen!
I haven't done much work with foam, but for the breast cups wouldnt it be possible to use cups from an actual bra, attach them to the wetsuit or corset, and laminate thin sheet foam over it? Isn't that similar to how they do the muscle suits for Predators, Batman, and such?
By the way, I'd be happy to donate the hose material for the head!:) It's wire loom material, but the only kind you can find in auto stores is the split loom. To get the uncut loom for my sculpture, at least where I live, I had to buy 100 feet from an electronics supply house, which is a bit overkill, lol!

Beagle Bill

:thumbsupKevoris

Her name is Damaris, and I am sure once she has more stuff on the go will be posing up pictures. If she is still not able to get set up here as a memeber I will post them up.

By the way she is the one who found those images here is the note she passed on to me " kevoris posted a question on the RPF board as to where I got the sculpt pics.. I got the screen shots from the collectors edition 2 disc first contact DVD set. It's on the second disc " Also Kevoris I am sending you a PM as well on this, so watch for it :)

Thanks again team, this is great info, she is very happy with everyone droping info. Looks like we are all going to have a Borg Queen at D-Con 09....or maybe sooner......? :lol God as if I donthave enough costumes, now I may have to build up a drone so I dont feel out of place :rolleyes:lol

Please keep the info or any ideas coming

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back