The most accurate ANH Vader helmet out there?

Originally posted by cking+Feb 11 2006, 06:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cking @ Feb 11 2006, 06:03 PM)</div>
No, I'm saying that a thinner neck version of the facemask existed because it can be seen in the movie.
The fatter neck version of the facemask can be seen in the Death Star conference room scenes and others.
In other words, it appears that a thin and fat neck version existed. Maybe they made a thinner, tighter fitting version for Dave Prowse to use in the duel?

Chris

<!--QuoteBegin-RKW
@Feb 11 2006, 05:59 PM
So you're saying that the width of the GH face mask and chest armour neck opening is too wide?
[snapback]1181828[/snapback]​
[snapback]1181831[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hmmm.....well it doesn't look that thin to me.

But then we could all be fooled by differing camera angles.

Maybe you should get a screen grab looking from the front if you want to point out whether this is fat or thin neck?

Chris

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 11 2006, 06:10 PM
[
Hmmm.....well it doesn't look that thin to me.

But then we could all be fooled by differing camera angles.
[snapback]1181839[/snapback]​

Looks pretty thin to me...

ANH-Duel-Helmet-Neck.jpg

Originally posted by Darth Phaeton@Feb 11 2006, 01:16 PM
IT IS THAT SIMPLE, if people just would let it be that simple, and not get to the state of panic, that they might loose, their self imagined god like status.

Come on everybody, say after me. THIS IS A HOBBY, AND NOT AN NATIONAL SECRET, I WON'T LOOSE MY LIFE, BY SHARING.  :)

Dan.

I am sorry you see it that way, Dan. I have always respected your knowledge of Vader, and your ANH Vader was an inspiration for me to get my own completed. When I joined the hobby, people like BingoBongo and GH were there to provide me with feedback and information and were both very helpful. I've taken that information and try to help others with it if I can. Then I began to see how some people took advantage of the knowledge they were given and used that knowledge to put down the very people that helped them originally so they could promote their own new products. Because of a few bad apples here that have cashed in on the good will of others, what is the point of sharing information? Certainly not in the spirit of the hobby as has been demonstrated time and again. The interests of those individuals may have helped many to obtain Vader helmets, but for those few others who are _truely_ interested in screen accuracy, it has done more harm than good.

In the past I've said what I think about the screen accuracy of the GH, JB, VM, SPFX and Gino Vader helmets, for better or worse. Granted what I said most often questioned the authenticity of the helmets, but since I am a scientist, I won't state something on a whim or based on conjecture. This is a hobby and we should all be friends, but there are those here who do not act like friends or even hobbyists.

sincerely,

Thomas

PS. BTW, when you look down on the mask, the neck will always look narrower, whereas when you look straight on or up at it, the neck will always look wider. It's a matter of perspective.

Cking, the picture below is of the same helmet you have posted above. So it is all about the angle you look at the helmet.

I agree that angles make a lot of difference.
However, I'm still pretty sure that the helmet appears fatter or thinner in certain scenes.

I believe that only a couple of helmets were used throughout production, but that's just based on observation and comments from Brian Muir and John Mollo.

Chris

_Very_ nice screencap, RKW. I've seen that image a million times but the detail in that one really comes through nicely. There should be a Vader helmet screencap contest as a new thread sometime ;).

I think there was only one faceplate used ;)...ya I know funny coming from me as I originally thought there were as many as four LOL.

:cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by RKW@Feb 11 2006, 02:28 PM
Cking, the picture below is of the same helmet you have posted above. So it is all about the angle you look at the helmet.

[snapback]1181891[/snapback]​

That pic to me is the definitive Vader helmet. It just looks rough, powerful, and fits Anakin's willingness to be in the front of battle. It's not a beauticians helmet (yes I like the others...but this one is just *IT*).

Originally posted by cking@Feb 11 2006, 07:31 PM
However, I'm still pretty sure that the helmet appears fatter or thinner in certain scenes.

I believe that only a couple of helmets were used throughout production, but that's just based on observation and comments from Brian Muir and John Mollo.

Chris
[snapback]1181895[/snapback]​

An idea put forward to me by Phil is that the differing widths might be put down to how tight the helmet straps were.

I dunno......I just know that I wouldn't want to put any force on my helmet for fear of cracking.

It also appears to me that the neck covers the entire neck hole of the chest armor. I have yet to see a fan-made helmet's neck cover that gap in GH's armor. Wouldn't that mean wide neck on screen?

Are you sure that neck is covering it?
To me, it looks like the neck is going down inside the neck opening on the armor.
Just something to consider.

Chris

Originally posted by SithLord@Feb 11 2006, 08:41 PM
Very good point....the GH neck covers it...nearly...if a faceplate doesn't then it's not the original size...

:cheers,

Thomas
[snapback]1181927[/snapback]​

I'm lost.

I thought the 20th century faceplate was one of the closest , yet the helmets based on this particular helmet don't cover the GH armor....

Originally posted by RKW+Feb 11 2006, 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ Feb 11 2006, 02:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-cking
@Feb 11 2006, 07:31 PM

Chris
[snapback]1181895[/snapback]​

An idea put forward to me by Phil is that the differing widths might be put down to how tight the helmet straps were.

I dunno......I just know that I wouldn't want to put any force on my helmet for fear of cracking.
[snapback]1181906[/snapback]​
[/b]

....you'd really have to cinch the straps quite a bit to pull the neck in that much. You're right, the f-glass would probably crack first....

It is interesting to note the depth of the neckline on the GH chest armor as compared to screen used.....mine seems to plunge deeper then what's shown....

Originally posted by Cougar@Feb 11 2006, 09:06 PM
I always thought GH helmet was the most accurate ANH available? Is that not the case?
[snapback]1181938[/snapback]​

At one time maybe, but not anymore.

Originally posted by Keith@Feb 11 2006, 09:27 PM
My GH ANH has the thin neck.
I've not seen too many like mine. Most have a Mike Tyson neck.

Keith.
[snapback]1181951[/snapback]​

Does your one have the corrected finger nail slots?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back