HELP! Terrible experience with Plasti-dip - need ideas on how to recover this prop

indiefilmgeek

Sr Member
Ok, so I need some help. I've been using Plasti-dip as my EVA foam sealer for over 8yrs now, and I've NEVER had any major issues... until today.

Today, I attempted to seal my EVA foam Red Knight Helmet from Fortnite (my daughter's Halloween costume). And the coat came out like coarse sandpaper. Absolutely horrible... 'Fuzzy' edges and very rough surfaces.

There are 4 different types of foam being used (all of which I've used before), and I switched Plasti-Dip cans to see if it was just a bad can of plasti-dip.

This basically ruined this piece. ANY ideas you have how WHY this happened or how I can recover this would be much appreciated!

44558892351_a830bae168_h.jpg

29620676717_11cd1e2f64_b.jpg

Re: HELP! Terrible experience with Plasti-dip - need ideas on how to recover this p

I recently have used plastidip spray (black) on PLA printed parts and it came out nice and smooth... Maybe they are switching formulas?

Re: HELP! Terrible experience with Plasti-dip - need ideas on how to recover this p

Ye ouch! Yeah, that's happened to me, but just once. Luckily it was a small piece. I had to start over. I tried sanding, peeling and scouring. Sadly, I just restarted my project. It sounds like you're project is very involved. I wish I had a quick fix, but alas, I don't. I haven't tried this, but if the project is trashed anyway and you're looking for a way to fix it I would try a Hail Mary and spray it with a high build primer then a light sanding. I have no idea if this would work but if the piece is ruined anyway it may be worth a shot.
My heart goes out to you and I've been in similar situations and you just have to think, it's ruined anyway, anything I do now may either save it or it was bad anyway.

It could be:

The weather
Excess oil on your fingers while building
Bad eva
Bad plastidip
God hates you

My only guess would be a bad batch of cans or a wisp of dust/heavy pollen in the air. For a fix, I would try the brush on plastidip and see if the solvents and brushing motion would break down the smaller bits that are sticking up. Then move to a high build sandable primer as stated above. It can't hurt as the piece is maybe beyond saving. Best of luck!

Sorry your project was ruined, but if you can repeat this, you could simulate a cast iron effect which might prove useful for other projects.
Did you switch manufacturers of the foam you are using?

TazMan2000

I hope you can salvage your work, Indie ! ~ fingers crossed ~ Best of luck !

I think this is old plastidip, either you've had the can a while or the supplier you got it from had poor stock rotation and had it on the shelf a while.

I had a can I used to freshen up my urethane Dark Knight cowl every now and then, all of a sudden it gave results similar to this. I had it a good while by then. Mine wasn't as pronounced or deep as yours. I wet sanded it with 220 grit then 400. Wetting the paper only, not the part. Then sprayed with a new can.

I haven't used it for a while, but would always test spray plastidip before using, if its old the rubber in the solution appears to almost congeal and come out lumpy.

Hi there. not sure what you can do to fix that piece, but for the future, if you warm the can in a bucket of warm water for 5 minutes before spraying, that should give you a smooth even spray... also make sure you give it a good minute of shaking before you spray.... if you give it a very light coat and then immediately go back and give it a full coat before the first coat dries, that should give you a nice smooth coat if done right... and spraying a test piece beforehand is always a good idea.

Getting some urecoat with black colorant should cover it and smooth it. It will dry glossy. If you want it matte finish, then wait until it’s half cured (still tacky) then cover it with powdered sugar. Then can wash it off with hot water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would cut the exposed dimples and dremel sand and wet sand everything and coat again. Try a small area first. High humidity? Looks like air was pushed out from foam during hardening.

Also, I use plasti-dip on prop Star Wars hoses I make, and I noticed if it put it on real thick instead of several light coats, it smooths out nice. Also don’t let it get to hot too fast, it needs time to flatten out, so keep it cool. You may have drips, but those cut off easy. And remember - ALWAYS DO SMALL TEST SAMPLES FIRST :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks really cool! Too bad that's not the look you are going for.

Thanks for the input! I actually did a BUNCH of testing after the initial coat (different cans, same can, different materials, etc). I could never get it to happen again, so it must have been some fluke of several things... maybe a cool can, some light dust on the piece, not thoroughly shaking the can, etc.... But it was strange and hasn't happened in all the years I've used Plasti-dip (or since this time).

As for the helmet, I just played up the 'cast iron' look and finished it as it was...
45176946594_ab0e9d17d9.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back