District 9 Arc Projector!

unorthodoxdesig

Hey all! It's been a while!

Since my last post I've been able to work as a prop maker for Alien: Covenant, Thor: Ragnarok, and Pacific Rim: Uprising!

I'm back in Canada now and am starting a build from one of my favorite movies (especially visually!), District 9!

I'll be 3D printing the Arc Projector (Lightning Gun) from the movie, and casting a small run of them (mods please move this to another forum if needed)

Just trying to see what the demand would be like, it's a gun I've always wanted and Weta hasn't made any more...

Message on here if you'd be interested in one!

3b0b7b1dd5576c77446efb9b8e3ef3db.jpg

So I've modeled most of it now.. still have to chop up some of the bigger pieces. The detail inserts will be printed separately to maximize 3D print cleanup times, and for better detail preservation/bubble control while casting.
arcgunn.JPG
First detail plate printed! Still trying to leverage the capabilities of this machine.. printed this one very slow at high resolution to avoid layer misalignment. I don't want to spend massive amounts of time sanding! For the opposite side verion I'm going to drop the build plate a few degrees, and increase the infil so I won't have to smooth the top surface as much for pt 2.
38823972_531448980607727_2667435103273091072_n.jpg

More to come soon hopefully!

www.unorthodoxdesign.ca for other projects!

That prints not looking too healthy, what slicer you using? Try idea maker... The built in profiles are a good start point for nearly all slicers...

You have some really bad over and under extruding areas

I think you need to dial in your printers configuration... nozzle size and filament size... Also a few more top surface layers after infill...

Also looks like your filament is getting snagged or taught...

Thanks for the feedback :) Definitely have to dial in the settings a bit. I'm using an original Flashforge Creator so it can be finicky at times. Switched to Simple 3D so hoping that'll help.

- - - Updated - - -

ARC PROJECTOR.JPG
ARC GENERATOR MODELED!

Ive never heard of either of those... And ive been around :p

Seriously try ideamaker... And Slic3r (slic3r certainly needs more tweaking and ive had some trouble getting good prints out of it but others swear by it)
your modelling work is flawless :D love it

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back