3D printed Ebon Hawk Remodel Project

Peep Williams

Over the last probably year and a half off and on I've been modelling one of my favorite ships in the Star Wars Extended Universe, the Ebon Hawk. I was unsatisfied with the available models for 3d printing online, and decided I would give the model a go myself.

I started with the original in game model, which was quite low resolution.
JcpINUA.png

This was a great place to start reverse engineering the form from in order to increase the number of polygons for an acceptable larger scale 3d print.

Here's what I've come up with. I have tried fairly hard to keep true with the original model, with only minor idealizations and changes here and there. I want this model to be a really close representation to what I remembered in KOTOR 1 and 2.

First, some comparisons to the low res model:

FD7Yts7.png

luPvCEn.png

And a dimetric view with the model lines hidden:

qqtGElp.png

And finally, a top and bottom view of my remodel:

wBi9rfW.png]

I am in the process of 3D printing what I have here. I hope to update the thread as I progress with 3D printing.

Very Cool project! One of my favorite ships as well. Sadly, there is precious little about physically modeling this beast. The best reference I’ve seen is a scratch build on Starwarsmodels.com that is also idealized.

Are you familiar with the Ebon Hawk paper model by Martinux on deviantart.com? It is available for free. As best as I can tell, it is very accurate to the game. He managed to get the code from the game to make it. I’ve been building it out of card stock off and on. It is about halfway finished. Once I finish it, I plan to scale it up and build it out of styrene sheet. I do such things because I am compelled to build an interior…yes I know, a fool’s dream.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Mark

Really great work!

So. This begs the question...are you going to offer this as a kit? Once it's done, clean up the print lines, make some molds, pour some resin...I'd buy it!

You know, I never even thought about that possibility. First, to offer it as a kit to the public, I feel I'd need to add quite a bit more detail, as it stands, it's really quite plain, panel lines are few and far between, there's an incredible lack of greeblies, and I don't even know what scale it is in.

Not to mention I've never done casting before.

You know, I never even thought about that possibility. First, to offer it as a kit to the public, I feel I'd need to add quite a bit more detail, as it stands, it's really quite plain, panel lines are few and far between, there's an incredible lack of greeblies, and I don't even know what scale it is in.

Not to mention I've never done casting before.

Just planting a seed...

If you did end up pursuing it as kit offereing. What I would probably do is use your print as a foundation, get the surface as clean as you can...then make your molds. Once you had a nice clean resin copy of the printed ship, then add your panel lines and greeblies to the resin master. It would be far easier to scribe panel lines into resin than the PLA. Then once you had a finished master resin copy, make a new mold of that, and there is your new fully detailed pattern for your kit.

But I've never done it before either, so I really have no idea what I am talking about...lol!

But you'd have at least one customer! haha.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back