James Gunn fired from GOTG 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about backlash and the number of people who have signed this, makes wonder what this will do to the box office for part 3. If you look at the bad press that has tanked a movie before it’s release in the past, what will Gunn getting fired do here?

Not only that, but will the cast of GotG want out of their contracts if they don't get Gunn? They seem to be like a very close family and already Bautista, Pratt, Saldana, and Klementieff have made statements in support of Gunn and I wonder what sort of effect it might have in that regard. There's been plenty of stories where actors refuse to come back if the same director doesn't.

On the subject of past coming back to try and ruin someone's present/future, RDJ handled that pretty well once:

Starting at 4:08. Kind of interesting what he says about the past and preset in things you say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I challenge anyone to sit through this and still feel that even the most disgusting jokes or the slightest effort to make this situation normal in the name of art are at all acceptable or explainable, especially when done by a grown, mature man who basks in the glory of his fortunate life. There is no statute of limitations on basic human decency and understanding.

I challenge anyone to sit through this and still feel that even the most disgusting jokes or the slightest effort to make this situation normal in the name of art are at all acceptable or explainable, especially when done by a grown, mature man who basks in the glory of his fortunate life. There is no statute of limitations on basic human decency and understanding.

Who, exactly, are you challenging? I don't really see anyone in this thread defending his "jokes" or calling them normal. Even among those willing to defend HIM under the benefit of the doubt that he's changed and is remorseful for the tweets, there still seems to be pretty much universal agreement that the tweets were at the very least in incredibly poor taste and at the worst reprehensible.

The issue seems to be whether or not people want to believe that he wrote those tweets earnestly, or as a very poor taste attempt at "provocation."

Who, exactly, are you challenging? I don't really see anyone in this thread defending his "jokes" or calling them normal. Even among those willing to defend HIM under the benefit of the doubt that he's changed and is remorseful for the tweets, there still seems to be pretty much universal agreement that the tweets were at the very least in incredibly poor taste and at the worst reprehensible.

The issue seems to be whether or not people want to believe that he wrote those tweets earnestly, or as a very poor taste attempt at "provocation."

My post was very clear and didnt name any member, just a reminder of how serious the entire subject matter is and what the real life consequences for many people who are, have been and will be to them. As you have quoted me again, I will ask again, How do my comments relate to your post from the last time you quoted me?

There is no excuse upon making "tweets' about children. He's sick and a disgusting animal! I'm a father, so he and anyone like minded can roast...

That petition has rose to over 253,000 signatures now. I wonder when these petitions ever start sending a clearer message or reconsideration to the cause?

Kinda makes you wonder if we have a big departure of celebrities on twitter that it would actually drive it's stock down?

I really, really doubt Disney will walk this back, if only because of how bad the headline looks.

Consider the comparison between the current one: "Disney Fires James Gunn Over Controversial Tweets" vs. "Disney Rehires Director Who Made Pedophilia Jokes."

Which one do you want running above the fold in Variety?

I really, really doubt Disney will walk this back, if only because of how bad the headline looks.

Consider the comparison between the current one: "Disney Fires James Gunn Over Controversial Tweets" vs. "Disney Rehires Director Who Made Pedophilia Jokes."

Which one do you want running above the fold in Variety?
I doubt it, too.

But they might also consider that acquiescing to this has already emboldened Cernovich to start digging dirt on other Disney/Marvel people such as Sarah Silverman and Patton Oswald. This is what happens when you give in to “terrorism.”

I doubt it, too.

But they might also consider that acquiescing to this has already emboldened Cernovich to start digging dirt on other Disney/Marvel people such as Sarah Silverman and Patton Oswald. This is what happens when you give in to “terrorism.”

As far as I know, Oswalt's comedy doesn't include anything nearly as controversial as what Gunn did. Silverman skirts the line, but her persona is well known and well established. At a certain point, I expect Disney to push back. Gunn was an extreme case, given his twitter history. The other two aren't (as far as I know) nearly as bad.

I actually watched a video of Cernovich`s today where he was retweeting this Oswald guys brothers deleted racist tweets and they were being deleted by Oswald as he was doing it. If your going to attack people for being racist and all sorts of other things, better make sure your not guilty of exactly the same behaviour on a regular basis yourself. Why are there tweets being deleted by the tens of thousands I wonder. Do these people think Twitter is some private little club or something? Live by the sword then be prepared to die by the sword. Terrorism. Wow.

Last edited:
I doubt it, too.

I am deeply offended by your use of the word "terrorism" in this context

I risked my life in 1992 to fight real terrorists and countless others all over the world have done the same and that cheapens the sacrifices we and our family's made and are still making to this day.

ter·ror·ism - [ˈterəˌrizəm]

NOUN - the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

How is re-posting someone's own words even remoting close to be being terrorism?

But by your logic, Gunn is a terrorist since he has done the exact same thing to people who don't agree with him politically

But they might also consider that acquiescing to this has already emboldened Cernovich to start digging dirt on other Disney/Marvel

I read on Reddit (yeah I know :facepalm) that this whole controversy was started because Gunn called Cernovich out on social media regarding the nature of Cernovich's tweets. Then in response, Cernovich dug up Gunn's pedo tweets. I don't know what the true story is. But if this is true, I can't help but think that Gunn got what was coming to him. If you are going to publicly lash out at someone, make sure your own nose is clean. I am a fan of Gunns. I loved both Guardians movies and I was really looking forward to the third. I really hate to see this happen to him. But he is clearly guilty of saying those things and he will have to suffer the consequence of that. As for Cernovich, I don't know anything about him. I had never heard of him before this controversy. He sounds like a dirt bag. Hopefully this will pass and I never hear of him again.

I am deeply offended by your use of the word "terrorism" in this context

I risked my life in 1992 to fight real terrorists and countless others all over the world have done the same and that cheapens the sacrifices we and our family's made and are still making to this day.

ter·ror·ism - [ˈterəˌrizəm]

NOUN - the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

How is re-posting someone's own words even remoting close to be being terrorism?

But by your logic, Gunn is a terrorist since he has done the exact same thing to people who don't agree with him politically
OK, I'll bite.

Are you truly this butthurt or is this an attempt at virtue signaling?

You'll note that "terrorism" is in quotes. It was referenced to parallel the principle of acquiescence to threat. Cernovich has chosen Disney as a publicly visible target in order to intimidate celebrities from being openly critical of the president. Sacking Gunn is only positive feedback for him and only encourages him to double his efforts. Evidently this is exactly what is happening. Whether or not there's tractionable material about Silverman or Oswalt is not the point. The point is that Disney will have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. If Cernovich or folks inspired by him continue to dig there's always going to be something you can find about someone that can be exploited.

I'm not saying Disney's move to fire Gunn was indefensible either. They're pretty much in a no-win situation and are in the position of picking the lesser of two evils.

With all due respect to your service you don't know me just as I don't know you.

And, since you brought it up, I am a civilian from a military family and have strong ties with both military and law enforcement. I started off in Physics research at UC Berkeley - Lawrence Berkeley Labs for DoE and later changed my field to study and went back to school a physician of internal medicine. As a medical doctor I've devoted my life to the care of both military vets and active duty and have worked at DGMC at Travis AFB as a contract physician for a few years and am currently in practice at the VA in Palo Alto California (one of the really good VA Hospitals) where I also teach for Stanford University.

So while I might not have experienced first hand your degree of sacrifice on a personal level, I remain in perpetual service to hundreds of my patients - vets with active medical and psychiatric needs who have given and lost at least as much as you might have given. If I decided to work in the civilian sector I could be earning twice my salary and deal with a less challenging population with easier work hours. That option is always out there for me but I choose to remain here.

I don't think there's a single person here who thinks I meant "terrorist" in the literal sense. I'm sorry if you did, but don't think for a second that I don't appreciate the sacrifices made by military vets and their families. I deal with all of them every single day.

Take care.

Technically Cernovich's methods are a form of intimidation for a political purpose.
I don't know what either Oswalt could have tweeted that was racist or bigoted, but Cernovich himself has a history of terrible, toxic behavior online.
But anyway.

At a guess, it's this stuff, which, if you view the tweet out of context, looks like he's saying racist stuff, but if you view it in context, it's abundantly clear it's anything but.

It's like if you broke a phrase into two separate tweets, and then only point to the one that looks bad.

Example:

Tweet 1: "I support Nazis"

Tweet 2: "Being shoved into a rocket and shot into the heart of the sun."

And then you say "OMG!!! LOOK AT HIS FIRST TWEET! HE'S A NAZI!!!"

I get what Oswalt was trying to do. He's trying to get a casual reader to go "HUH?!?!" and then look deeper, or to troll an idiot into saying "LOOK! I HAVE PROOF!" and then "spring the trap" that shows you were saying the opposite. But it's a clumsy approach that's likely to create backlash because people aren't going to bother to dig deeper than the surface level and will just use the info to harass you, even if it's disingenuous.

I'm not butt hurt and I lack the sopistication to even pretend to know what virture signaling is and have zero desire to waste time looking it up.

Terrorism is ILLEGAL and mostly based on violence, even the intimidation part is based on the premise of violence

Comparing something like this to terrorizm, or claiming someone is like Hitler or a Nazi, or that an event is like "Pearl Harbor" or "911 all over again" is nothing more the over the top hyperbole that does nothing to advance the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back