Colorcast Resin Pigment Compatability

Plokman

Hey Everyone,
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place as always but I could not find a section for this kind of thread so admins if you guys know this is the wrong place please forgive this Green Cadet of replica models. Anyway I am about to purchase my first batch of Casting Silicone and Resin and I have decided to pick from the Micro-Mark family. I think for the purpose I'm going to be using it for they have the best bang for my buck for the very first batch but I am unsure on something and I need to know before I purchase it and that is mainly for the Resin.

The fact I'll be casting Lego custom accessories I'm not picking any resin that hardens white as painting can throw off the thickness with all my current paints and methods of applying it can throw off the delicate compatibility with real Lego pieces such as their hands which are exactly 1/8th inch precisely (Little tip for anyone who want to make gifts for Lego fans. I can't cover every design after all.) so I am going for semi-clear resin that I can dye any color I need. Now here comes my question the on the Colorcast Resin what kind of dyes are the safe to use to dye the resin?

Micro-Mark have their own pigments but they don't have a majority of the colors I need such as Steel metallic and so on and they all seem to be a liquid based dye as well. But I want to use powder dyes as they are more affordable (Especially after discovering a few powder dye substitutes thank you Peter Brown) so my question is would powdered Dyes be compatible? I just can't find any information on the subject and I want to get a move on.

So I ask for those who have more experience with resins of the kind (This stuff) of resin would I be ok with powder pigments or should I find a different resin? I am such a newbie to this stuff. I thank you for your time everyone and I hope that I am not being a pest to the Admins with any possible extra work.

Thank you very much and hope you all have a good day,
Plokman

P.S. I know why you guys have the "No New Tags Without Permission" but is there a list of existing Tags? I just want to know what is open to me. Just want to help my threads reach the right people you know sorry again if I am being a bother.

Having learned the hard way that things are not always compatible even though they should be, my advice is contact the folks at Micro Mark and ask them. They'll be able to tell you if the products your looking to substitute will work with their product or not.

Indeed I've seen a messed up casting again Peter Brown was the one who has demonstrated this. One resin he had Quite literally volcanoed on him. He was able to make use of it but still better safe than sorry I called to ensure that it was compatible with Powdered metal colored dyes which means a Cheep set of dyes for me since you can make Powdered pigment from Pastels and a few other items.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back