Sewing question - removing stitches and putting in blind hems (Star Trek TOS)

OB10

Sr Member
I picked up a classic Trek red shirt and pants on ebay. All in all, they look really good. Not as good as Anovos (I've worn an Anovos Trek shirt before), but waaay cheaper. The pants have a nice sparkle in them. The chevron isn't as good as the ones Katarra and others sell, and the rank braid is a bit lower quality than Katarra's, too (from what I can remember, I don't have other braid handy to compare it with). My main complaint (and still, not a very big one considering the price) is that they just visibly stitched the hems of the sleeves and the body of the shirt instead of using blind hems (it's not a long sleeve T-shirt, dangit!). The uniforms in the original series avoided visible stitching and used blind hem techniques to finish off the sleeves and hem of the shirt. The question is: if I remove those stitches and sew in blind hems myself, will the holes in the fabric from the previous stitches remain visible? Also, both the shirt and pants seams are finished off with a serger. I would be finishing it off by hand sewing for the blind hems.

I'd like to do it for a couple reasons. The pants come long so they can be hemmed up to proper length, and they're too long on me. I can wear them fine, but the cuffs are closer to my feet and should be raised much closer to my knees. The Anovos shirt I borrowed a couple years ago was an XL, which was a bit snug on me, so I bought a 2XL. The sleeves and hem of the shirt are a bit long. And if you've seen the velour shirts in the first 2 seasons, you know how they shrink, and the sleeves and hem go a bit high. If I raise the hems of the sleeves, I'll also have to move the rank braid, which will potentially leave more visible holes. I should also replace the chevron, but those holes should be covered by the new chevron.

I don't do a lot of sewing. It seems every few years I'll get inspired and get around to making something, mostly with a standard (non-serger) sewing machine. I've needed to do some hand sewing on some of these projects, but I don't consider myself to be a world class sewer or professional level costumer, neither with a sewing machine nor by hand. Last year I made a Captain Pike era tunic that turned out pretty good, though. Different sleeve and collar than the red shirt, but I think it came out nicely.
If done properly, I think blind hems would make the shirt look much better. I'm kinda leary of the idea of leaving obvious former stitch marks in the fabric, though. But, raising the shirt hem and bottoms of the sleeves might pull the potentially "holey" area to the inside of the shirt where they wouldn't bee seen, anyway. The shirt is polyester, and the pants are also poly or some synthetic. I'm not really worried about holes in the the sparkly black pants, though, and I'd probably be machine stitching the cuffs back on. Kinda concerned about ripping out serged seams, though. So how much of an idiot, or cheap genius would I be to try to hand sew these hems myself?

So there's no one here who can sew better than me? :D Come now, you're being too modest!

IMG_3689.JPGIMG_3692.JPGIMG_3701.JPGIMG_3708.JPG

I've added some pictures to maybe help explain things better. The first 2 pics are of the bottom of the shirt, one showing more of the interior than the other. The 3rd shows the top portion, unzipped, with one of the sleeve cuffs. The last picture is of the pants cuffs. It looks much lighter than it actually is because of the flash. Hopefully you'll be able to see the unwanted visible seams on the sleeve cuff and lower shirt body, and the serged areas inside. I can post larger or more detailed pics to show the sergey areas or other areas better if that would help.

So (sew?), is trying to rip out serged seams gonna be a disaster waiting to happen, and will the former stitches look like pooh when done? Or will it look fine, being part of the whole costume/clothing design process?

In other words, am I overthinking this and being a chicken? :$

If you’re not sure if holes will remain after removing the seams, you can try it on a not very visible place... normally nothings happen and the fabric looks like before !
The only solution I see for your problem is to remove the seams careful and attach the cuffs from the inside with textile glue again, but it could be that the glue-seam is visible from the outer side...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back