Iron Man - Armor Strapping

mcdavies

Hi all...

I am in the process of doing a 3D print set of Iron Man Mk46 armor (using the Do3D files). Going pretty well although sizing has been an issue...I am NOT 5'6" tall with a 28" waist!

I'm at the point where I can start assembling the torso and am wondering what people typically do for strapping / attaching the armor? I'm sure I could wander around and figure it out on my own but there has to be a lot of examples out there that I can learn from. Anyone care to explain how they did it...and pics would be GREATLY appreciated!

Oh, and I'll post pics of where I'm at once the assembly gets underway...

Mark

I use the square magnetic purse snaps. I attach two to a plastic plate and glue that to the armor. The other two are attached to the nylon strap. Having two seems to keep them centered and stop any twisting. They self center and the magnets have a decent shear strength. I have not had any cut loose during a troop. You can get them on the cheap from Dritz at WalMart.

IMG_3216 (1).JPG IMG_3217 (1).JPG IMG_3218 (1).JPG

Been toying with ideas of how to do this when I hit that stage. Strong rare earth magnets from home improvement stores (like Home Depot) may work pretty well, aren't too expensive. Velcro may be a good route. Having your base layer outfit with strategic industrial strength velcro from a craft store with the companion patch adhered strongly to the 3D prop may work too. Elastics and buckles are also an option, I've used them for a Vader suit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back