My original Roger Kastel watercolored pencil sketch of JAWS

Thanks Erik, we are all simply striving for the same mate, good luck with your path forward..

JAWS art? Hmmm, nothing from memory. I did do a painting of Roger's Jaws poster on the back of a denim jacket when the movie came out and I sold it for a mint (or what might have been consider a mint back then.. :D). Nothing more recently unfortunately but hopefully when I retire I will have a chance to indulge..

Thank you again sir.

Highest regards,
MARK

Thanks Erik, we are all simply striving for the same mate, good luck with your path forward..

JAWS art? Hmmm, nothing from memory. I did do a painting of Roger's Jaws poster on the back of a denim jacket when the movie came out and I sold it for a mint (or what might have been consider a mint back then.. :D). Nothing more recently unfortunately but hopefully when I retire I will have a chance to indulge..

Thank you again sir.

Highest regards,
MARK

:DIf you ever take on a Jaws-inspired image, if there's anything I can do for you regarding hi res imagery for reference. Look no further.
Best to you. Erik

Here is another one of my most valued Jaws-memorabilia possessions: It is absolutely the only item in the world autographed by BOTH Jaws-artist Roger Kastel and Allison Maher who was the model who posed for Roger's photographic source reference for the swimmer. I verified this with Allison who told me she had never signed anything related to JAWS to her memory. This poster is an original one sheet used for the 1975 theatrical release, and was hanging on my wall back in the eighties when I was a teenager. I scanned it at super high resolution and digitally removed all visible wrinkles and folding creases in Photoshop. Both signed it in identical gold sharpies. Truly a one-of-a-kind.
Plus it has the sentimental value of having adorned the wall of my childhood. Thought it was worth adding to this thread.
72SmallMASTERHIRESJAWSPOSTER.jpg

Is this Mark Raats? I was just looking at your artwork online. COMPLETELY STUNNING work, my friend. You are the heir apparent to Drew Struzan as far as I'm concerned. Well done! I wish movie one sheets were still the chief venue for true artwork like yours - as they were in the seventies and eighties. But Photoshop. Perhaps it will be the case again. If so, I'm sure you'll be very busy indeed! I'm not knocking Photoshop or digital painting software - since as a photographer and graphic designer who works almost exclusively in it, I haven't room to be too critical, but I always am more "drawn" in when I view physically crafted art as there will never be a more beautiful, pure visual expression of imagery - with thousands of years of cultural history to attest to it.

As to the whereabouts of the Jaws painting. Roger is mystified and would like to have it back. It is, after all, his property legally - as its creator - who never gave it away to anyone. I'm sure someone has it out there, and most likely will never reveal the fact publicly.

I recently had a conversation with the model who posed for the swimmer for Roger. I told her if there was ever a "Mona Lisa" of movie posters, I'd be hard pressed to find any other to claim that title. She laughed and said she has virtually never been recognized for it, and it was not something she ever considered very significant. Naturally, I differed. She signed by original Jaws one-sheet in the same gold marker that Roger has done previously - making it the only Jaws poster on earth signed by the both of them.

Nice to meet you. Keep up the truly amazing work! I hope you get lots of it!
Best, Erik

PS: As a shark fan myself, I've been thrilled to do the covers for Steve Alten's MEG series for over a decade. Now WB is releasing a major motion picture based on it called "The Meg" starring Jason Statham - the trailer just came out online a few days ago. Though I was not considered for the poster by Warner Bros, they did use my customized title graphic, so I'm a little stoked about that. Here are some of my MEG covers and other books... No candle to your work. :) but for what its worth...

View attachment 809734 View attachment 809735 View attachment 809736 View attachment 809737 View attachment 809738 View attachment 809739 View attachment 809740 View attachment 809741 View attachment 809742 View attachment 809743 View attachment 809744 View attachment 809745 View attachment 809746

Saw the trailer for the movie MEG in front of Deadpool 2. Looks like it will be a fun movie, especially with Jason Stathom. :thumbsup

Apologies for briefly hijacking your thread Erik.

I was commissioned to do a private drawing for a collector and I have also spent the past two weeks with Richard which has been fantastic.
Interestingly, we ended up in the middle of the ocean on a boat called "Great White" which I guess could have ended badly but fortunately time was not spent watching yellow barrels popping up in the surf, we drank and simply compared scars

Jaws_LoRes.jpgIMG_4878.jpegIMG_4874.jpeg

Great fun all round.

Kind regards,
MARK

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back