2001 a space odyssey

Gwarguts

I am going to be undertaking the project of 3D printing, finishing, and painting the clavius helmets from 2001.

I was wondering if anyone has the X Y and Z dimensions from the screen used props.

The other thing would be the neck rings. Are they custom machined or did they come off of something?

Thanks for all of the help. I will be posting updates as I go and if anyone wants to help me with more parts and where to find them please let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A very well known banned member here was the leading manufacturer of replica 2001 helmets (pantographed off a real one IIRC) and made Mr. Savage's helmet and suit. The neck ring on the originals was a custom machined piece, There are a couple of members here who have his replicas if you do a do a search. There's also at least one scale model on Thingiverse.

A very well known banned member here was the leading manufacturer of replica 2001 helmets (pantographed off a real one IIRC) and made Mr. Savage's helmet and suit. The neck ring on the originals was a custom machined piece, There are a couple of members here who have his replicas if you do a do a search. There's also at least one scale model on Thingiverse.
Ive heard of him before i can't get in contact with him. Scale model of what on thingiverse?

Now the process of scaling it up to full size and splitting it into multiple parts

I took some photos of my red helmet a year or so ago... And just this morning took a bunch of rough measurements of it for you. You can see the collection of photos at the following dropbox link. (Let me know if you have any issue accessing the files..)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mbff18vxb8ky5wa/AACsuJ4-WEeQFt7AwGeWr5eTa?dl=0

I couldn't find my regular tape measure, so there will be a little inaccuracy due to the curvature of the surfaces with the hard tape measure.... But hopefully it will still get you in the right ballpark.

Hey Zyote, can you get me the height of the helmet and the width (ear to ear) i can't seem to find those in the pictures. Thanks

I don't have much that would be helpful beyond a bunch of old 2001 stills and BTS shots that you likely also have. But I can tell you I've wanted one of the Clavius suits for a good thirty-plus years.. I missed my window back before banned member went off the rails, and if you can pull this off, I'll nominate you for sainthood.

I don't have much that would be helpful beyond a bunch of old 2001 stills and BTS shots that you likely also have. But I can tell you I've wanted one of the Clavius suits for a good thirty-plus years.. I missed my window back before banned member went off the rails, and if you can pull this off, I'll nominate you for sainthood.
Helmet is one thing for sure. If i can pull this off I will be making fiberglass casts of them and selling them as kits. Need to start printing the helmet first.

Helmet is one thing for sure. If i can pull this off I will be making fiberglass casts of them and selling them as kits. Need to start printing the helmet first.

So long as the price isn't outrageous. When Micdavis sold them he was very proud of the price. He intentionally priced them so high that it insured that only an elite few would have them. It was such a shame as this is one of my grails. :facepalm

So long as the price isn't outrageous. When Micdavis sold them he was very proud of the price. He intentionally priced them so high that it insured that only an elite few would have them. It was such a shame as this is one of my grails. :facepalm
I was thinking 250 to 300. I dont think 250 would be asking too much. Maybe even 200 if i can make them fast enough

My helmet is from him. I didn't know anything about his back story here before I ordered it. But in his defense, he was friendly, and communicated often with me during the process. I even had an hour or so long conversation with him on the phone about the helmet he makes, it's lineage, and history of the piece in general.

The helmet itself is very nicely made, for my novice eyes, I would say it looks flawless. materials are solid / and it is hefty in weight. It really is a grail piece for me. Would I buy any more parts from him in future? Sure. Was it worth the $2001.00 I paid for it? For me, yes. Is that expensive? I don't believe so, given the quality and the amount of work that has clearly gone into it.

Gwarguts: I'll try to get the additional measurements tonight for you.

Yea i thought $2001 was a clever price but at the end of the day it is true art.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back