Ash's Robo Hand - Ash Vs Evil Dead

Cbstudios

Sr Member
Being a massive Evil Dead fanboy and cosplayer/costume builder, the release of Ash Vs Evil Dead was absolute heaven. As soon as I saw Ashy Slashy's new robo-hand, i knew i had to build it.

To Begin with, I was originally only gonna make the wrist cuff for my saw, but plans changed when I realized I couldn't easily open my beers with a chainsaw.

First thing I needed was the black housing on the wrist plate. I found the files posted on Thingiverse by Identity Crisis Costuming, and raiding my local electronics store for the red lamp. The lamp is actually a switch, and I got a push on/push off switch, but after looking lately, I'm pretty certain its the rocker switch version. Too late now I guess. Having the size of the lamp bezel, I was able to scale and print the housing, which I tweaked heavily, adding panels and making it slightly more accurate. I then moulded it so i could cold cast a hollow resin version for fitting electronics. The base plate I decided to do in 100mm PVC pipe.
E37c45v.jpg

At this point, I decided I wanted to add all the screws in with actual screws, Allen heads, Tiny M3 bolts and some torx security screws. I used my dremel to hollow out the bezel mount and cut my plate to size and shape. You can see in the above pic, I sliced off the silver dial thats next to the lamp, as I could scratch build something much closer.

Next up was fitting my dial and lamp, as well as the ribbon cable. One thing I found was that my lamp LED was 12volt. I ended up gutting the assembly and epoxying just the shell and gasket together, and adding an LED with a small battery assembly, much nicer than burning out 12 batteries. The housing was painted black, and I used steel wool to buff the edges back to show the Cold Cast Aluminum surface.
D0W092f.jpg

I don't have pics of the next few bits, but I used Chicago screws, and aluminum bar stock to attach the straps and buckles, and used the same bar stock to make a close enough over-center latch for the top. The whole baseplate was sprayed silver, and I used latex to mask off the chipping, and sprayed the whole thing red. Latex gets rubbed off when the red is cured, and boom baseplate done. The housing was bolted to the plate with the allen head screws in the four corners, then all i had to do was add some fake wires and some blue electrical tape to the fake torch on the side. I went over the whole set up with some black and brown acrylic paints, then It was bolted down to a quick gauntlet cuff I stitched up from vinyl, and I was ready for the con!

TcYoCRg.jpgCFU4ctk.jpg

NOW..... fast forward a month or so.... and my buddy lets me know he's getting rid of some costume stuff, including a set of heavily beaten up motorbike gloves..... so I decided to make the full glove.

I used the same 100mm PVC pipe to make the backplate for the hand, and cut some strips to form the clamp cuff, not a whole lot to say about this but trial and error and a whole lot of reference. I dremmeled out the cable holes in the backplate, and mounted the bolt to attach it in the leather glove. I used some 3mm sheet PVC to make the cable bridge, and then the whole thing was glued together with PVC cement. I then sprayed it all silver, then the masking and red was repeated. The bolts in the cuff were real ones I cut down and super glued in, and then the whole setup was hit with the black and brown acrylics,
15ftE07.jpggJqK4TN.jpg

The cables were pretty basic, I needed something flexible between the hand and arm, so I settled on 3mm elastic cord. I hit it with silver paint and they looked close enough. I made the cable mounts on the bridge with some disassembled pop rivits and heatshrink, then superglued the cables in. The thin cables on the hand were chrome elastic I found at the craft store, again, super glued in place. The braided hose near the thumb was a black shoelace sprayed silver, it's temporary till i find a better solution.
dinWsEz.jpg

I was wracking my brain trying to work out how to do the fingers, which are made to look like inset motorcycle chain. I finally settled on latex. I built a close enough form, mimicking the look of the original, out of EVA foam, made a quick plaster mould and cast 4 chain strips out of it. Hit them with some plastidip and drybrushed silver highlights. The existing leather and knuckle pieces were cut off the leather glove, then it was all glued down with contact adhesive. I then formed the silver bands out of EVA foam, and did three heavy coats of silver plastidip. A drop of super glue holds them in place.

I've still got to build the thumb assembly, but for what its worth, I'm damn pleased with the whole build.
8l3xK2Y.pngtDCp3gr.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back