Interest Jedi Knight: DF2 style full metal Holodisc

tomleech

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First of all I know zenix also has an interest thread going for this same thing and I also know he does great work as I have a couple of his other items. That said I've also been working on this for a while and I've already got a prototype on the way and manufacturers lined up so I figured it was worth at least trying to see it through. I guess it's just a good time to be a JK fan :)

If you're into Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II you may have seen I'm part of a current run with CSJ Props and Mastercraft Custom Sabres producing what we believe is going to be the most accurate version of Kyle Katarn/Qu Rahn's lightsaber possible without hands on the original prop.

I've done my best to exhaustively examine the limited reference available for this prop also and while I think the reference is too little to achieve the same accuracy as the hilt I've certainly tried just as hard with this design :)

I currently have the prototype of the grip section on it's way from Shapeways and when it arrives it will be sent off to be examined for moulding and casting in solid bronze, at which time I'll be able to give some kind of cost estimate.

The disc part itself will be waterjet cut from aluminium (or possibly non-stainless steel to allow for rust) and will be free spinning on bearings.

I'll update this post as new info comes in but for now here are some renders of my final design:

holo1.pngholo2.pngholo3.pngholo4.png

Prototype has arrived, been checked over and sent off for a solid bronze casting quote :) Here are some pictures of said prototype and a short video:

IMG_111.JPGIMG_7017.JPGIMG_7020.JPGIMG_7023.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work! :thumbsup
I'm in zenix's interest list, but honestly do not think a run will happen. :cry
Is your prototype available on shapeways?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back