Can Gelcoat Be Warped?

Jesuit24

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Rather than trying to correct a warp, I actually want to add one to a hollow Velociraptor head cast. The head kind of curves in at the sides with a pronounced brow allowing forward vision from the eyes when worn, but since this mask won't be worn, I want to make it more JP screen accurate by stretching the sides out so they're flatter against the snout. If this was just a resin slush cast, I'd just whip out the heat gun and heat it up but I'm not sure if gelcoat CAN warp with excessive heat. I've put plenty heat on it and it's not budging, so rather than carry on and tax my heat gun further, I want to get thoughts from you guys.

I don't know what kind of gelcoat your item is made from, but polyester resin can be warped with heat. I've done it before, but I remember it taking a ton of heat. I had to get the resin so hot it became sticky again (had to wear oven mitts), and then I had to use a lot of force and hold it until it cooled. It took a few tries but I got the result I needed.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back