Elite Tie Pilot Helmet

Deetz

Elite Tie Pilot helmet from The Force Awakens. I printed the original master on my Makergear 3D printer, it was then moulded and cast with smooth-on onyx black. Painted with createx acrylic.

Very happy with the result, I just need to add it to the display case!
:D

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet01.jpgElite_tie_pilot_helmet02.jpgElite_tie_pilot_helmet03.jpgElite_tie_pilot_helmet04.jpgElite_tie_pilot_helmet05.jpg

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet01.jpg

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet02.jpg

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet03.jpg

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet04.jpg

Elite_tie_pilot_helmet05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Can you tell us about overall investments re. time and money?

Yes absolutely. It's an expensive hobby of mine that's for sure. 3D printers of course can be bought in a wide range of prices, I ended buying a Makergear, very nice but expensive. Molding and casting supplies I bought were a gallon each of onyx black resin, brush-on 35 mold rubber and Plasti-paste (for the mother mold).

A gallon of resin will do about 4 helmets. The brush-on silicone is good for at least 2 different helmets as is the plasti-paste. All told about $400.00 in Canadian play money. Since I'm making quite a few versions in the long run it's not that bad for the mold supplies. I still have enough left now to mold my next print of a scout trooper helmet.

It takes a good 8hrs or more to make a mold of the helmet, but roto-casting it in resin take about an hour. Like painting all the work is in the preparation. Don't skip the prep work!! Sanding sanding and more sanding will consume the vast majority of time.

Now of course, I didn't buy all of this for just 1 helmet. I've made 4 different helmets and working on a fifth, plus each one has a variant paint scheme to play with bringing that up to 6 helmets completed.:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back