Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 2:46 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #26

Nice! The picture I took of my old green PCB w/ red LED's made the saber bible! Really bummed I didn't keep that one. I think that picture was from my sales listing, actually.
  2. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 9:04 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #27

@SethS just to add a touch more color to this convo now that I’ve had a nights sleep - the cave scenes and funeral pure were shot on Dec 20, 1982. As far as I can tell, most everything that happened after the new year was related to visual effects, score, and stop motion stuff. The only things I can find that were filmed again involving people happened in late February of 83 when they had Mark shoot the funeral pyre again(!) for some reason and there may have been something about an Ewok shot in there. It’s still certainly possible that ISYHCANL pickup still came during that time and was indeed last.

I will say, I do think the ISYHCANL pickup and the cave scene probably happened pretty close to each other, but currently still leaning towards the cave being last. I don’t know the details of this discussion but wouldn’t that make sense though? Isn’t the “hero” missing and the cave build one still left in the archives? Sorta like the ranch saber — Last one used, got saved kinda deal?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 10:21 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #28

Happy birthday @SethS !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 10:30 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #29

ms80444 said: View Post
    @SethS just to add a touch more color to this convo now that Iíve had a nights sleep - the cave scenes and funeral pure were shot on Dec 20, 1982. As far as I can tell, most everything that happened after the new year was related to visual effects, score, and stop motion stuff. The only things I can find that were filmed again involving people happened in late February of 83 when they had Mark shoot the funeral pyre again(!) for some reason and there may have been something about an Ewok shot in there. Itís still certainly possible that ISYHCANL pickup still came during that time and was indeed last.

I will say, I do think the ISYHCANL pickup and the cave scene probably happened pretty close to each other, but currently still leaning towards the cave being last. I donít know the details of this discussion but wouldnít that make sense though? Isnít the ďheroĒ missing and the cave build one still left in the archives? Sorta like the ranch saber ó Last one used, got saved kinda deal?
    I still think the isyhcanl and cave saber are the same saber. The 3 bottom rings in the grenade are identical

I find it hard to believe the prop department would have made 2 sabers with the same exact spacing

I donít see it hard to believe them hacking up the smooth control box to add electronics real fast

If you look at the control box today itís a complete hack job

I am on board with tom that the isyhcanl and cave saber are the Yuma saber dresses up and repainted

I completely agree with Seth, the smooth control box is much better looking.

Once I get some extra change and I can bit some more end mill bits, Iím going to fool around with making one
  5. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 10:36 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #30

halliwax said: View Post
    I still think the isyhcanl and cave saber are the same saber. The 3 bottom rings in the grenade are identical

I find it hard to believe the prop department would have made 2 sabers with the same exact spacing

I donít see it hard to believe them hacking up the smooth control box to add electronics real fast

If you look at the control box today itís a complete hack job

I am on board with tom that the isyhcanl and cave saber are the Yuma saber dresses up and repainted

I completely agree with Seth, the smooth control box is much better looking.

Once I get some extra change and I can bit some more end mill bits, Iím going to fool around with making one
    That does, indeed, make sense that they would have just taken the same hilt and then made a new box for that cave scene. But that also supports the theory that the cave came after the pickup since thatís how the prop was left.

So sounds like maybe a primary Yuma became the ISYHCANL, which then became the cave saber and thatís how the prop remained in the archives. Do I have that right? That all seems very plausible to me.

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 11:27 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #31

ms80444 said: View Post
    That does, indeed, make sense that they would have just taken the same hilt and then made a new box for that cave scene. But that also supports the theory that the cave came after the pickup since that’s how the prop was left.

So sounds like maybe a primary Yuma became the ISYHCANL, which then became the cave saber and that’s how the prop remained in the archives. Do I have that right? That all seems very plausible to me.

this is what i believe, but could be totally wrong.

gotta figure out when the ISYHCANL was filmed. if we can prove the was filmed AFTER the cave scene, then we got a ton of new questions
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:03 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #32

Now that I know the have scene was also a pick up, my initial can be retracted. The pic with Narwuand does imply that the ISYHCANL was EARLY since Lucas showed him the door.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:08 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #33

Thank you! I had no idea where it came from. It’s the only close match I’ve seen.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:33 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #34

Random question on the cave scene: are the blinking arrows on the saber a practical effect or was that done in post? Iím guessing the latter, but not sure.

From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:44 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #35

Pretty sure it’s practical— probably the reason they needed a bigger box!
  11. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:47 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #36

Practical effect.

Just to throw gas on a different fire, I'm not sure how many Yumas were made but I'm of a mind that the Yuma in the chin-rest pic, ISYHCANL, Hero are the same thing. It looks like all the holes line up; tri-ring, and control box, too.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:47 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #37

SethS said: View Post
    Pretty sure itís practicaló probably the reason they needed a bigger box!
    I actually just watched the scene like 4 times and changed my mind after I saw one shot where the saber is tilted at a pretty extreme angle but it still looks like the green arrow goes on. I find it hard to believe someone would have gone to that trouble if it was done in Post - not to mention your point about the bigger box. Makes sense. Thanks!

13. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #38

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    Practical effect.

Just to throw gas on a different fire, I'm not sure how many Yumas were made but I'm of a mind that the Yuma in the chin-rest pic, ISYHCANL, Hero are the same thing. It looks like all the holes line up; tri-ring, and control box, too.
    Agreed. If I were a betting man, thatís where Iíd place my money.

14. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 12:59 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #39

I'd go so far to say there might just be the one Yuma. I've not seen or heard of any others show up, and that would explain why (and the sheer coincidence that most photos of the Yuma all share eerily similar, if not spot-on, features).
  15. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 1:13 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #40

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I'd go so far to say there might just be the one Yuma. I've not seen or heard of any others show up, and that would explain why (and the sheer coincidence that most photos of the Yuma all share eerily similar, if not spot-on, features).
    I forget, the V3 is there too right?

So maybe it was just the V3 and the Yuma at that point? (And the resin V2 for Lukeís belt climbing the side of the barge).

That would actually make a lot of sense. Explains why those two are the ones left. Because thatís all there was.

From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 5:07 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #41

Do the rings on the Yuma match the hero? I suppose that could have been part of the clean up.

The V3 isn’t used outside of the UK.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 5:55 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #42

Do the rings on the Yuma match the hero? I suppose that could have been part of the clean up.

The V3 isnít used outside of the UK.
    I believe the 3 bottom rings are a exact match
  18. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 6:14 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #43

The V3 isn’t used outside of the UK.
    Well ****. Now I’m really screwed up. If that’s the case I may be back on the multiple Yuma’s train.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 6:30 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #44

For the sail barge sequence I think there was one primary metal Yuma, several resin Yuma copies, at least one resin V3 (the super detailed one).
  20. RPF Premium Member
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #45

For the sail barge sequence I think there was one primary metal Yuma, several resin Yuma copies, at least one resin V3 (the super detailed one).
    Ohhh there was a resin V3 there. I think thatís what I was confusing me - I was forgetting the resin/metal part of the equation on the V3. That makes sense - Thanks for clearing that up for me!

From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 7:13 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #46

Sure!

I could be totally wrong though!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 25, 2017, 11:45 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #47

We are in the same boat on this
  23. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 12:07 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #48

I'm thinking it's just the one metal Yuma and then multiple resin copies of the V3. The rings on the Hero and Yuma seem to match, the holes seem to line up, and the box/tri-ring configuration looks to be there.

The stunts used for the R2 launch show the neck details and sail-barge climb show the rest of the body, details that match what's seen on the detailed V3 cast. Surviving resin stunts of the V3 are seen in the archives video, along with resin Hero(s) we know were made for touring.

If the V3 didn't make it back to the States after principal photography wrapped, the resin 'stunt cast' may have just been recasted while the one fencing stunt (Yuma) was being machined.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 12:19 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #49

The only resin one I feel like we see outside of the R2-fire saber, is the one needed for Mark slamming against the side of the sail barge.

I know we've said that's resin cause of the tilted emitter. I've assumed it was a Yuma... compared to the high res V3 resin image we got recently It doesn't have the groove in the upper neck. Do you spy a resin elsewhere?
    Last edited by SethS; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.
  25. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 12:41 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #50

It doesn't have a groove in the upper neck, I believe, because they put gaffer on it to dress it up like the V2 (they even dressed the emitter face), but it does have the same clamp band details on the V3 resin stunt.

Beyond those two shots, Hamill climbing up the sail-barge and the previous R2 lauch, the only other scenes in the film that probably have the resin stunts are the inserts of the hilt going into the air and falling down.

Speculation aside, I don't believe there are resin Yumas of that time because I've not seen any resin copy of the Yuma sabers that had the original "blank" box, nevermind the ISYHCANL details; the resin Yumas I've seen all have the Hero's "cave build" box detail. Now, it may have been possible they made resin Yumas minus the box, but every resin stunt we've seen thus far has the box/clamp detail as part of the cast.