Subscribe
    From
    India
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 10:31 PM - Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #1

From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 8:38 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #2

Just got back from seeing this. Absolutely loved it. An incredibly moving film. Maybe because I share a cultural heritage with this film is why it moved me so much, but its so great that I think anyone would be able to enjoy it.
  3. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 24, 2017, 12:28 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #3

Was it better than Book of Life? Because that movie was awesome.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 9:47 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #4

A somewhat predictable storyline, with solid animation and decent character chemistry. I enjoyed it, but wish I heard more guitar work.

There was a little weirdness with how the film was presented. One being a hellaciously awful ~30 minute made for TV Disney Frozen “holiday special” which was substituted for the higher caliber Pixar animated short. So bad, 8-10 target marketed kids actually left for drink refills.

Other oddities being an out of place spoken presentation from the Coco film makers. It started with BTS DVD extras pointing out how laborious the city animation work was and ended sadly with them thanking the audience for coming. No, it isn’t sad to thank the audience, but it seemed sad in the wake of recent news events.

I seriously hope Disney never pulls that short Disney Princess/Pixar side cross-contamination crap again on another Pixar release. I liked Frozen, but that short was a visual crime compared to Day&Night, La Luna, Partly Cloudy, etc.
    From
    Orlando, FL
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #5

I loved it, my wife and I were in tears by the end of it, probably the only Pixar movie that has actually done that to me. Frozen can take a hike but I'm sure that point is moot.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 4:33 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #6

brandomack said: View Post
    Yah, I can't get excited for this movie at all, because I feel like I've already seen it.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #7

Other than the Day of the Dead thing, I don't see the connection with Book of Life. Totally different stories. Its like saying all movies that take place in NYC are the same.
  8. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 7:40 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #8

darth_myeek said: View Post
    A somewhat predictable storyline, with solid animation and decent character chemistry. I enjoyed it, but wish I heard more guitar work.

There was a little weirdness with how the film was presented. One being a hellaciously awful ~30 minute made for TV Disney Frozen “holiday special” which was substituted for the higher caliber Pixar animated short. So bad, 8-10 target marketed kids actually left for drink refills.

Other oddities being an out of place spoken presentation from the Coco film makers. It started with BTS DVD extras pointing out how laborious the city animation work was and ended sadly with them thanking the audience for coming. No, it isn’t sad to thank the audience, but it seemed sad in the wake of recent news events.

I seriously hope Disney never pulls that short Disney Princess/Pixar side cross-contamination crap again on another Pixar release. I liked Frozen, but that short was a visual crime compared to Day&Night, La Luna, Partly Cloudy, etc.
    Disney has removed the Olaf short!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...-Let-It-Go/amp
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 8:21 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #9

Oh man that is great news! Thanks, MovieFreak!

I am glad Disney can react in real time. That really speaks well for Disney. The storyline/dialogue seemed like a real rush job.

Also wanted to mention in the middle of the Olaf short, Gad absolutely kills a musical number. I hope Disney releases that song.

Anyway, this is great news, thanks!
  10. Lord of the Couch RPF Premium Member dbuck's Avatar
    From
    california
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 9:16 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #10

My granddaughter loves frozen but I wasn't going to take her to see this and turn the evening into a two and half hour plus marathon. Now perhaps the wife and I will take her.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 12:44 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #11

JoeG said: View Post
    Other than the Day of the Dead thing, I don't see the connection with Book of Life. Totally different stories. Its like saying all movies that take place in NYC are the same.
    Agreed, aside from the setting the two movies have nothing else in common. The stories are completely different, where as The Book of Life was a love story, Coco is about family and doing what you love.

I'd strongly recommend setting aside any pre-conceived notions about Coco because of its visual similarity to BoL and just go see it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. My wife and I went to see it Friday because my brother-in-law invited and we previously had no real interesting seeing based on what was shown in the trailer but we came away totally loving it. It was a beautifully animated movie with a wonderful that was very touching and if you somehow manage to come away from it completely dried eyed then you're just not human and are probably the same kind of person who watched Up and didn't get the least bit misty eyed at the beginning.

- - - Updated - - -

darth_myeek said: View Post
    Oh man that is great news! Thanks, MovieFreak!

I am glad Disney can react in real time. That really speaks well for Disney. The storyline/dialogue seemed like a real rush job.

Also wanted to mention in the middle of the Olaf short, Gad absolutely kills a musical number. I hope Disney releases that song.

Anyway, this is great news, thanks!
    I'm glad too that Disney is removing the Frozen "short" from the beginning of Coco, that was one long "short", way too longk, in my opinion. Watching it I was ready for it to be over by the end of the first act where Elsa & Anna ring the bell.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 12:57 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #12

Moviefreak said: View Post
    I wish I had known this before I took my kids to see Coco today. All they did during the short was ask "Dad, when is Coco coming on?". I would have totally waited until after December 8th had I known about this unbearable short film.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #13

Coco is definitely my favorite pixar film. No question.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    6 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 3:40 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #14

Movie of year. Had to fight water coming out my eyes
    6 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #15

Yeah. I have nothing to say about this film except that it's amazing.

And I normally hate pixar stuff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    Ok
    6 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #16

I was disappointed.
    I thought it was utterly bland and predictable.
    They had so much rich culture to work with which made it all the more frustrating that pretty much everything, from design work to the plot and characters, were so dull and dephtless.

The plot was so very Disney paint-by-numbers that it started to feel like a chore about half way through. By the time they got to the mysterious patronage cliche' reveal (which was so painfully obvious) I was past ready for it to be over. My eyes were just about rolling by the end, and they may as well had "CRY NOW" flashing on the screen it was such heavy handed emotional manipulation.

The Book of Life was by no means perfect, but in comparison, COCO is as soulless as someone left off the ofrenda.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    2 Days Ago  Dec 13, 2017, 11:38 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #17

brandomack said: View Post
    JoeG said: View Post
    Riceball said: View Post
    Agreed, aside from the setting the two movies have nothing else in common. The stories are completely different, where as The Book of Life was a love story, Coco is about family and doing what you love.

I'd strongly recommend setting aside any pre-conceived notions about Coco because of its visual similarity to BoL and just go see it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. My wife and I went to see it Friday because my brother-in-law invited and we previously had no real interesting seeing based on what was shown in the trailer but we came away totally loving it. It was a beautifully animated movie with a wonderful that was very touching and if you somehow manage to come away from it completely dried eyed then you're just not human and are probably the same kind of person who watched Up and didn't get the least bit misty eyed at the beginning.
    My biggest gripe against going to see it was that I thought it was going to be a Book of Life rip off.

I am so glad it was it's own thing.

Also the commercials I remember seeing gave no real detail as to what the movie was about

All in all, I reluctantly went to see it since my wife and daughter wanted to see it, and came out totally enjoying it