Interest BLADE RUNNER 2049: Portable Voight-Kampff Scanner - Lights, Sound, Practical Effects

Ein

Sr Member
hvLC6dLl.jpg

I've had enough of you jerks nagging me in my thread about this item, so I'm making an interest post! (I'm kidding, I love you guys, and thank you for being so supportive).

NUQc626.png

The portable Voight-Kampff scanner is a device that "K" (Ryan Gosling's Character) uses at the beginning of the film to identify the Replicant that he is hunting.

rLpE6xq.gif

We get to see it briefly in use in the film, during which time it shows off some of the other practical effects. The screen on the side of the device illuminates a bright white, but does not appear to be an actual functional display. The LED beneath the camera lens element also strobes a blue-white-possibly-red cycle during the scan.

GeR1yK6.gif

This was subsequently confirmed by a video from Tested.com during an interview with props master Doug Harlocker, who reviewed the devices a bit more specifically. A green screen version of the scanner was among the collection, suggesting that the intention might have been to CG something onto the display. Ultimately, nothing ever does actually get shown on the screen during the film, leaving us to speculate what it might have shown.

MAk8xo9l.jpg

rpQakfk.gif

KZbzDcn.png

A few weeks ago I actually sent Doug Harlocker an message asking for information about this device. I never got a response. That's totally fine, and what I expected - the man's an important and busy dude. However, it is now my powerful and compelling goal to make Doug Harlocker rue the day he ignored my e-mail. I plan on accomplishing this by one-upping his screen-used prop, making something even cooler than what was actually used in the film. You hear me, Doug? You hear me!? You will rue the day!

(I am totally kidding about the above and have nothing for the deepest respect for Mr. Harlocker, whose work (and the work of his team) is exceptional. Just playing, yo. Pls notice me).

For real, though, here's what we're looking at in terms of device functionality I'm presently designing for:

• Working spring-loaded slide for the top 'camera' component. Push button, device extends; push the device back closed and it will latch shut. Easy enough.
  • Device will power on only when camera is slid out. Likely to be a contact or limit switch that is triggered when the top extends outward.
  • Working front-facing "scanning" LED - likely going to be using a neopixel or similar RGBW LED for this, along with an Arduino microcontroller to strobe the output. Going to be on a push-button switch on the front of the device - it'll scan for as long as you hold the button down.
  • Red SMD LED(s) on the device where necessary to mimic the lighting on the screen-used prop. These will be on during the entire period the device is on.
  • Working screen. This is the biggie. Following the conclusion of a 'scan' - i.e., when the button is released - data will populate onto the screen with images of an eye, identity/DNA analysis, warnings, etc. If I have the memory on my microcontroller, I will likely try to have randomized functions for what information is displayed on the analysis (i.e. Replicant, Not-Replicant, etc).
  • Rechargeable. I'm building this around a Lithium Polymer battery and the final device will hopefully be able to plug into a micro USB cable to recharge. I have hated having to engineer ways to get into my older props so I could swap batteries out, and the LiPo batteries just have more capacity.

Other design specs and features considered:

• The shells of these devices are likely going to be resin cast and painted. The last project I did was actually cold cast in graphite, which I quite liked because it meant that any scratches or damage to the prop ended up weathering the device realistically (Graphite scratches a dark metallic color. Think like a pencil). Not sure if that's going to be my approach yet.
  • M2 screws are going to be used where possible to physically secure device components (hatches, rails) in a fashion that mimics the screen-used prop.
  • Lenses (particularly the camera one at the front of the device) are probably going to be cast in clear resin, but otherwise non-functional.
  • The metal rails that the device slides out on are, for the time being, expected to be laser-cut plastic that is then painted. I'd love to make them out of actual metal (sheet aluminum, for example) but my laser cutter is not powerful enough to cut those materials.
  • The visible circuit board component on the device is going to be nonfunctional - purely aesthetic - and probably will also be a piece of laser-engraved plastic.
I've spent a lot of time agonizing over getting the scale and dimensions of the device and its components right. I'm reasonably confident I've got a good scale established that would stand up to scrutiny next to the screen-used props. Ultimately, what I'm shooting to make here is something that meets and exceeds what the actual movie prop does.

GFVtz6T.png

As a rule, I almost never make one of these threads unless and until I'm sure I know I can do the run. Usually, I want to at least get a prototype of the item made, so I can "lock in" the features I intend. As of the initial date of this post, I'm still in the designing stage, and have yet to make a physical item. Most of the work going on right now is to make sure I can jam a working screen into this device without complication. The ultimate feature set of this item may change. That said, I figured having an interest thread would be useful because it would give you guys something to follow if you wanted to eventually buy one of these. Moreover, it gives me an idea of how many I might want to make. My last run, the Titanfall Data Knives, rounded out at a comfortable 10 items - I get a sense there may be more demand for these.

As of right now, I'm ballparking the cost for a fully-finished item to be in the $250 range. This figure may totally change depending on what the final item specs end up being. We'll see just how hard these end up being to make, and I reserve the right to adjust this number up or down as appropriate once I get everything sorted out. I'd like to make custom boxes for these the same way I did with the Data Knife, if only because I think it adds to the professionalism of the final piece and, lets face it, they have to ship in something.

I'd encourage those of you who might be interested to drop a post here so that you get subscribed to the thread for updates. I'll be continuing to work in the main thread and will update this one as appropriate as we near the possibility of a full run. When that time comes, I'll be looking for people to place deposits (Probably around $100) so that I can purchase all of the necessary materials, electronics, and other hardware to start production. I'm probably only going to be doing a limited run of these, but I'll make that call once I have a better idea how difficult these will be to make to the standard I want.

EDIT: Nov 22, 2017 @Remote_People was nice enough to PM me a current tally of the interest list. I was remiss in not keeping a running list in the OP, but I'll try to fix that moving forward. Was more focused on getting work on the actual prototype done!

1. Scadge
  2. Mylodon
  3. Enigmatic
  4. propmaster2000 (kit)
  5. prop factory
  6. veektohr
  7. UnitPD
  8. Mr Webber
  9. Jedisushi
  10. MattgomeryBurns
  11. danielwolx
  12. Soulinertia
  13. tennantlim
  14. podman
  15. benhs1898
  16. ferchitsu
  17. PhillipD
  18. Johnnyfl
  19. MurdocXXL (2) with Stefan Jones (*also slot 35)
  20. GasmanR
  21. KramStaar
  22. mackle89
  23. Sundowner
  24. aeonpulse
  25. PAULH (kit)
  26. Buch
  27. NedSkywalker
  28. Andymac84
  29. masterchief0185
  30. Birdie
  31. RhinoActual
  32. Kurt237
  33. Kylash
  34. DVD Connoisseur
  35. *Stefan Jones
  36. Sarednab
  37. sstnickg
  38. Belmekor
  39. TomVDJ
  40. C0mmand3rC0dy
  41. blastmaster
  42. Lutts
  43. FuseNova
  44. Trooper_trent
  45. Lanboy
  46. Hairyloft
  47. Version1138
  48. apocalyptickids
  49. Hall86
  50. ApostleofColor
  51. Padawan311
  52. hbw60
  53. Remote People
  54. mburkit
  55. glottis
  56. Marv
  57. Mookie (2)
  58. cyberblock
  59. Sikes
  60. Vaders Legion
  61. saladking
  62. Fragment
  63. Indierevolver
  64. ThadExMachina
  65. Timtastic
  66. mmbmg653
  67. darthwhitey
  68. pucknell
  69. circa1964
  70. nickytea
  71. BR12819
  72. SpeedRacerx
  73. Borax (kit)
  74. tmax
  75. SentientPie
  76. GRINCH
  77. Helixios
  78. BradWright
  79. asavage
  80. Enormicon
  81. Marcuskelly720
  82. Riskbreaker
  83. the Pawn
  84. zsherman
  85. CalamitysChild
  86. Ridley
  87. Bbabylonia20
  88. Clutch
  89. wayouteast
  90. Caboose1510
  91. MAJSmith
  92. Georgedawestie
  93. McVoight (2)
  94. klytus
  95. TomVDJ
  96. rickhoward
  97. NerfHerderDL44
  98. captainsolo

hvLC6dLl.jpg

NUQc626.png

View attachment rLpE6xq.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Portable Voight-Kampff Scanner - Lights, Sound, Practical Effe

Totally interested, you did excellent work on the titan fall knife. Would be sweet to nab one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Portable Voight-Kampff Scanner - Lights, Sound, Practical Effe

Definitely interested

Excited to see you get a working prototype, absolutely loving how everything is looking so far!

Also, when you get there keep us updated on any thoughts​ you may have regarding a possible kit version

Count me in. The work being put into this project is on another level.

A kit version would be my interest.
Just the body with no electronics. (Stunt model, hollow to accept electronics and mechanics later).

very interested.
I definitely want to participate in RUN.

Absolutely in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count me in for one

Interested!

Well the jerk store called and they're running out of you!

KIDDING.

Yes, 100% in for this. I absolutely love functioning props and I'm distracting easily by flashing lights.

Definitely down for one.

Definitely interested

Count me interested.

Totally interested in this. Looking forward to see how it comes to life.

Interested :thumbsup

In for one :) Many thanks

In case this is time sensitive in want to reserve as spot for my Buddy STEFAN JONES as well...

So Count me for 2 if possible.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back