DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON: Baby Groot Detonator Replica

DoggieDoc

Hello all! I am a bit of a lurker here as I am much more active on the Sideshow Freaks forums making 1/6 scale accessories. However I was approached by a member there about making the detonator as seen in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 to go alongside the baby Groot life sized figure.

Anyway, I am currently in progress on my build, having done this project from the ground up. I 3D modeled everything myself in Google Sketchup. I printed the majority of the parts on my Original Prusa i3 MKS2, and then fabricated the non printed parts and used off the shelf parts for things like wiring, lighting, etc. I also printed the buttons on my printer and, after some preparation molded them and cast them in red resin.

I don't have a TON of time to post the entire build quite yet, so I thought I'd add a few photos and then I can detail everything a bit later.

Attachments

• Groot detonator1.jpg
    Groot detonator1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Groot detonator10.jpg
    Groot detonator10.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Groot detonator9.jpg
    Groot detonator9.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Groot detonator8.jpg
    Groot detonator8.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Groot detonator7.jpg
    Groot detonator7.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Groot detonator6.jpg
    Groot detonator6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Groot detonator5.jpg
    Groot detonator5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Groot detonator4.jpg
    Groot detonator4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Groot detonator3.jpg
    Groot detonator3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Groot detonator2.jpg
    Groot detonator2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 152
And a few more images. This is where I currently am on the project. I am in the process of finishing a couple other projects but working out the finishing touches on this is where I am going next.

Attachments

• Groot detonator15.jpg
    Groot detonator15.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • Groot detonator14.jpg
    Groot detonator14.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Groot detonator13.jpg
    Groot detonator13.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Groot detonator12.jpg
    Groot detonator12.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Groot detonator11.jpg
    Groot detonator11.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
Thats a really nice build. What parts did you use for the timer?

Thanks! The tier is just a lit up piece of plastic, actually. I originally was going to try and use a real digital timer but I didn't want to mess with the amount of electronics needed, plus it would make it a bit ore expensive. So instead I actually just printed out a digital clock template and transferred it to a transparency. I then cut out the digital numbers with an x-acto knife and painted the plastic black so light would come through the numbers. Then I placed a yellow and a red transparency over the black plastic so when I put a white led behind it there was a nice red-orange light to the numbers.

ANd now a little. more progress as I start working on the light up Annulax batteries...

Baby groot detonator batteries lit up2.pngBaby groot detonator batteries lit up1.pngBaby Groot detonator with batteries4.pngbaby Groot detonator with batteries3.pngBaby Groot detonator with batteries2.pngBaby groot detonator with batteries1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back