J.F. SeBashtians chess set

Bash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Oddly I hadn't been on the lookout for one of these but once reading on the RPF a few nights ago that it was an off-the-shelf item and not (as I had naturally assumed) custom made for the film, I instantly wanted to hunt one down to add to my Blade Runner collection.

I had read these come up rarely and so I went to eBay to try my luck. And found one instantly. First time. Unreal.

chess1.jpg

chessred.jpg

chesswhite.jpg

I am aware that the King (and I believe the Queen also) is not the true to the screen version. Those ones seem impossible to find.

I also read that apparently the set should be a mixture of Kingfisher and Wren pawns and mine is only kingfisher. I then later read somewhere that some old bird :)D) who used to work for the company said the mould got damaged or something and so some of the later kits basically ended up with just Kingfishers instead of Wrens.

I had also read that if you only had one type of Pawn then the set was a cheap knock off. This as far as I can tell seems not to be the case as you can see by the below pictures that this seems to be an original 1982 (same year blade runner was released oddly enough:cool) set, and amazingly came in what looks like its original box, with the Guarantee and 'key' to which each piece is. (Something i'm really happy about).

chess_box.jpg

chessguarentee.jpg

chess_pieces.jpg

I bought the set off some guy in the states; it's a wonder that no pieces got damaged in transit and also that the set hasn't been damaged AT ALL over the past 35 years of its life. He said they had only been taken out of the box a handful of times. I've checked each piece and there isn't so much as a scuff on any of them.

Chuffed to bits with this purchase not only due to the mint condition of the set but also that it's original at least in year if not quite to the film. I may well build an uplit chessboard next as the one in the photos is from a random set I have and is too small to accommodate the pieces.

I welcome all input / extra info guys as always, so feel free to chirp up (sorry i'll stop) with any useful information. Hopefully some of you may find this interesting as well.

The only thing that might burst my bubble slightly is it says on the guarentee it was sold by Gambit and I believe the film one was made by Banbury? (Reseller? same company perhaps?). But the pieces seem completely accurate and the date seems about right so who knows. Again, any light that could be shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated guys; regardless the outcome it's a lovely set and I paid next to nothing for it so I shall remain thrilled regardless.

:D

Excellent find! I've looked for years on and off with no luck.
I had read over at Prop Summit or Blade Zone that the company who made them was Banbury but I think maybe they sold the molds years ago. Not sure on the last part.

If you do an uplit board, I'd love to see your build process. I have another set that could be in Universe and would like a board for it.

Again, well done on this one. It's a rarity.

Fill out the form and see what happens! :lol

:D Hahah! amazing! I already used google maps to see what was there and it looks like the shop is gone so might keep it for posterity :lol Im wondering now whether the set is Banbury and perhaps the shop itself was called Gambit....

Nice find. How come no-one ever wants Tyrell's set ?

Tyrells set looks a bit **** I think :D which is odd cos the guy was clearly loaded.

Joking aside, I had actually wondered this same thing to be honest. Has anyone ever tracked his set down?

Mini update:

Thought i'd ask the seller if he had any info on the set. This was the response:

Hi, glad to give any knowledge I have on objects.This was my father in laws set.He loved playing chess, even had a electronic one so he could play whenever.After he retired around 1980, they vacationed in Europe, they are descendants of the Guthrie family who have a castle in Scotland. My wife does not know how he got it, maybe when they were there or ordered it sent sent to US.Hope this info helps.

George.

Shame it didn't shed much more light on the origin of the set, but nice of the guy to take the time to reply, and kind of cool to get a back story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set. One question? I keep seeing it pop-up that the pawns in the film were a mixture of the king Fisher and wrens, but when I go through the hd screencaps, I never see a king Fisher at all. I can clearly see seven wrens on the black side and 5 on the white.

Bash, the Tyrell's set is really difficult to get...and way more expensive than the Sebastian's. Italian chess set, and you'll have to get the proper pieces to make sure it's screen accurate.
As SRS is a Napoleon fan, he made sure the set was matching the "First Empire" look that was used while filming Tyrell's scenes (you'll notice that, near that set, there's 2 Royal Doulton French soldiers standing side by side;)).

bs-019-af.jpg...fff.jpg

I am not the expert....I am merely repeating what I was shown in a different thread.
The picture on the left is accurate Sebastian chess pieces. The one on the right is eBay Blade Runner chess pieces.
The peacock should have a comb on top. The owl should have tufts on his ears. The eagle should be very different and with a chain across it's chest.
The pawns (as noted) should be different.
The set on eBay is not accurate.

Last edited:
See people keep saying the king fisher is part of the original set, but I see no KF's in this screenshot:

blade-runner-movie-screencaps.com-8882.jpg

Maybe I'm missing it?

kkk.jpg

You're right, ALL the pawns are the same in this picture. And those pawns are VERY different than the pawns that are in the eBay chess set.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back