The King in Yellow

Mike J.

Master Member
Thanks largely to the H. P. Lovecraft renaissance, and more recently, season one of True Detective, we are experiencing a Robert W. Chambers renaissance as well.

Back in 2012, Robin D. Laws published a set of 'expanded universe' stories inspired by TKIY, and just today completed a fantastically successful Kickstarter campaign for a TKIY RPG.

I'll start the ball rolling by asking if anyone here has ever made any TKIY-inspired materials? Anyone?

I've got some ideas kicking around in my head, and a few in progress as well.

Attachments

• Alleged Original Dustjacket Art for TKIY.jpg
    Alleged Original Dustjacket Art for TKIY.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 80
I took a turn at designing my own Yellow Sign, as everyone seems wont to do.

After plenty of rough doodles & sketches, I came up with a couple variations – all with an incredible secret message concealed within them!

Chambers described The Yellow Sign thusly:

"...a curious symbol or letter... It was neither Arabic nor Chinese, nor, as I found afterwards, did it belong to any human script."

You can see I have a sort of Arabian tile version, a sort of Oriental version, and a post-modern high-tech version.

Attachments

• YSCAthumb.png
    YSCAthumb.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 62
  • YSOG1e copy.png
    YSOG1e copy.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 54
  • YSOG2bthumb.png
    YSOG2bthumb.png
    74 KB · Views: 55
I also designed a monogram or royal cypher for Hildred Castaigne, loosely inspired by similar seals used by European royalty.

Here are a few other ideas I'm kicking about – vote here to give me an idea of how interested you all would be in them:

http://www.strawpoll.me/13438016

Attachments

• HR1.jpg
    HR1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back