Fallout Mini Nuke 3D print

mattycsi

Master Member
A friend at work was interested in my some of my past builds, particularly since I got the 3D printer. He asked if I could print him something and he settled on the mini nuke from the Fallout games.

We settled on a model from Thingiverse by a user called Powerhobo.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2170272

It is made to be a container also, so it has some functionality too.

First off, printed the model
20170507_100101.jpg

It is an excellent model, it printed very well with no problems at all, it came out really clean.

I started at the top with the nose cone. I used Halfords knifing putty to fill it. It goes on well and is really easy to sand. I gave it a couple of passes and then hit it with primer. I painted in some rust with acrylic paint. Part of why I agreed to the job was to have a go at some heavy weathering. Most of what I do is only light or clean.

20170515_140748.jpg20170515_140735.jpg

I used vaseline to dab around the rust areas as a mask. I'm using Halfords camo green for the main colour, so I didn't want the other colours to be too bright, and as I already had some, I used red primer for nose colour.

20170515_161346.jpg20170515_185949.jpg

Still working from the top down, the next piece is the lid of the container. Same process as before. This time I gave it a coat of silver hammer finish before adding the rust and top coats, wipe off the vaseline when done. I used the filler primer I had for the yellow as again it is quite flat and doesn't stand out too much from the green. Then glued it to the nose cone. I use power flex gel Loctite, its solid.
20170602_195023.jpg
20170603_123422.jpg20170603_124752.jpg

Then decided to go at the fins and tail ring. I wanted to try a different technique on this, so sanded/filled etc, coat of silver and rust.

20170607_192556.jpg

Then gave it a light spray with plain water and chucked a load of rock salt it.

20170607_192442.jpg

Let it dry a few hours and then hit it with the green.

20170607_202011.jpg

Let that dry then wiped and lightly brushed off the salt. Was praying that it didn't come out a godawful mess.

It did ok! It leaves a lot of texture on the part too, it feels a lot more authentic.

20170607_221519.jpg20170607_221412.jpg20170607_221545.jpg

The fins and centre ring are done too, but not a whole lot to look at there really.

I used real screws on the part and have some nice little bolts that will go in that tail ring. I'm currently leaving those bolts and some for body outside to try and get some natural rust on them.

So now I'm filling and sanding the main body of the nuke. will update when there is something of interest with that.

I'm not well versed in weather techniques, but the vaseline and rock salt as masks are pretty brilliant. I'll definitely remember those.

Well you are doing a great job on the heavy weathering

Cheers.

I'm not well versed in weather techniques, but the vaseline and rock salt as masks are pretty brilliant. I'll definitely remember those.

Thanks. The main thing to remember with the vaseline is that it is quite thick. It's difficult to paint on exactly where you want it, it works for this where it can be dabbed on quite random.

With the salt, I crushed up a load to try and get more variance in the pattern, but where it was quite fine it just seemed to land and stick in clumps masking off more than I really wanted. I won't bother crushing it again, I'll just sprinkle it as is. I took the tail in today to show my friend and he is happy with it, I had offered to do another pass on it, but he's happy and it is going to sit on his shelf not mine so it's all good.

I glued up the fins and the tail ring. I will be weathering the fins further, but I'll do it once it's connected to the main body as I want a seamless rust where the parts meet.

20170610_204724.jpg

the body is just on there to keep it all in place while the glue goes off, it has a little more sanding to go yet.

Saved this thread as reference when I need to do some weathering.
Looks amazing so far....

Thanks. I hope it's useful.

I got the bolts for the main body rusting away nicely in the garden.

20170613_110114.jpg

I'll be cutting the threads down quite significantly, they're very long, but the heads are a good size.

I put them in a jar of salt water with a dash of vinegar and bleach and left them overnight. Then gave them a quick rinse and put out in the garden.

That pic is after just 2 days being out, from them being completely pristine silver.

PowerHobo's model does include bolts that you can 3D print, I have chosen to use real bolts and screws as I think using real bits where possible does help to sell the illusion a little bit.

Finished this bad boy today.

I painted the main body with the silver hammered finish paint and added rust with acrylics.

20170614_124401.jpg

I used the vaseline masking method, I wanted it to match the top and nose cone. If I was starting over I might use the salt method more.

20170614_151856.jpg

Put the bolts in the tail ring. they just didn't want to rust up, so I painted them later.

20170616_104243.jpg

I used this stuff, picked up on special offer, to rust the tail bolts
rust.jpg

I cut down the big bolts for the main body and glued them in

20170616_134307.jpg

And no nuke would be complete without a radioactive sticker
20170617_103120.jpg

Weathered that in a bit, and job's a goodun

20170617_123216.jpg20170617_123341.jpg

that looks great. I've been wanting to make one of those for my desk at work. Made one a while back from a plastic egg and board, but nothing this detailed. Shopping for a printer now.

Cheers.

I handed it over yesterday, he's very pleased with it and has pride of place in his lounge.

Only problem now is, the other lads into gaming are all looking at me with big puppy dog eyes.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back