3D printing High-Impact Polystyrene (HIPS)

Photon

Recently I've been musing about getting a 3D printer (fused filament type) as a aid to my modelling. I noticed that High-Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) is one of the filament materials commonly available. It seems its mostly co-extruded as a support material for PLA then removed from the part and trashed.

It seems to me, the fact that it sands easily and is solvent-bondable would make it much preferable to PLA for model making...especially given that most kits & evergreen bits are also styrene.

So has anyone here printed it? Any issues? Is it a challenging material to print?

Thanks!

HIPS is my main material so far. Took me some time to control it but now I run it pretty smoothly on my Robo3D R1plus.
240 C on my hotend, 70 C on on the bed. 3DLAC spray to bound PARTS on the bed and most important, enclosed printing area to keep the heat until the end of printing.
Let the piece cooling down on it's own and it will detach itself from the bed.
HIPS is really sensitive to change of temp during printing and can warp easily.

I print exclusively in ABS now.... styrene! But my machine is a Raise 3D N2+ and it's fully enclosed so the warping problem is not a concern

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back