Wonder Woman - Golden Themyscira Armor

Has anyone else seen the voodoo magic that pixelstitcher has accomplished so far on the leather bodice??? If not, you should really check it out: https://www.instagram.com/pixel_stitcher/

I've started building my own bodice, but am having to add one wet formed piece of leather at a time. I do not know how she got the leather to mold/form like she did!

If you check out @_meaganmarie_ feed you'll learn a bit more (such as they soaked the leather for 25 minutes and then placed and molded it to the dress form) but I'm still amazed... I have hidden darts in some of my strips so far and don't know how to do otherwise. Makes me feel like a leather noob :confused

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else seen the voodoo magic that @pixelstitcher has accomplished so far on the leather bodice??? If not, you should really check it out: https://www.instagram.com/pixel_stitcher/

I've started building my own bodice, but am having to add one wet formed piece of leather at a time. I do not know how she got the leather to mold/form like she did!

If you check out @_meaganmarie_ feed you'll learn a bit more (such as they soaked the leather for 25 minutes and then placed and molded it to the dress form) but I'm still amazed... I have hidden darts in some of my strips so far and don't know how to do otherwise. Makes me feel like a leather noob :confused

2PlayerGame Awe, you are too sweet! I'm excited for how this costume is coming together! We're figuring it out a bit as we go along too! I actually patterned the bodice for Meagan's Diana using muslin first, to figure out the initial shapes and placement, as well as test fit it for her. While the actual bodice from the film was hand sewn (which is only visible if you look very closely on the close up high res images) we knew we weren't going to have time to do that (or patience hahaha) and we wanted to make sure the bodice would still have the structural integrity of a good seam, so we chose to top stitch instead of glue/hand sew. Since we already had it all patterned in muslin, we copied it over to paper and then cut it out of leather. Next we sewed it based on each over or underlapping layer and began we forming from there. While I am still learning a lot about leather, I did experiment a bit when I made a Xenomorph inspired jacket for the 2015 Her Universe Fashion show, so I knew we would get a good level of stretch out of the leather once it was soaked in warm water. I find that depending on the leather and thickness, it helps to let is soak for 15-30 minutes in warm water. Also, expect to work and reworks and shape the leather for a good while to really make sure it's taking the shape, and check on it periodically as it dries. It may also take a day or two to dry fully, so keep that in mind when budgeting out your time. And lastly, clips are a great way to hold your leather in place, but keep in mind that when the leather is wet, it is very soft and will likely get dented wherever you clip things together, which is why you see that we used strips of muslin to gently wrap and hold Meagan's Diana bodice in place. I hope this helps a bit, and I'm happy to help if I can! I'm learning a lot, but also just enjoying working in such a unique medium! Can't wait to see your Diana bodice too 2PlayerGame!

Well hey there pixelstitcher! Thanks for the detailed reply! I've actually used some of your same methods (patterned the bodice in muslin first with detailed notes marking which sections lie under or over others) but until I had seen your photos, I didn't know it was possible to get that kind of stretch and movement from a "single" piece of leather! Consequently, I'm probably assembling more individual pieces than necessary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, I may be using leather thicker than needed? (I'm using 4/5 & 3/4 oz veg tanned) I'm on a time crunch as well, working to get this finished for Labor Day weekend, so I'll be sacrificing some accuracy when it comes to painting. I'm gonna have to forego the "zebra-like" pattern and instead just use Angelus paint to create a brushed bronze patina overtop some gold. I'll be sure to provide more pics once I have a little more progress. Looking forward to see your finished pieces as well!

IMG_2931.JPG
Well I can't figure out how to rotate the picture...but there's the finished product. Might try and make screen accurate wedges at some point, but these heels were super comfy. How was Dragon*Con?

Your Wonder Woman Corset Costume looks good; you just need little bit makeup and hair style look otherwise all the cosplay looks good on you. Well Crafted :thumbsup
You should also try Wonder Woman Maroon and Blue W Corset. Its on sale on eBay and Amazon in low price.

View attachment 745531

So, I decided not to change my skirt material after all (I like this fabric way too much and I haven't had any success finding a good microsuede or leather lining). Since my last post, I dyed the skirt, shortened the length, widened the slit, and distressed with an airbrush. I am super happy with the results!

As you should be. It looks really nice. What colors did you use for your distressed look? Did you use acrylic paints?

Well, I obviously never got to working on this! But you all have done brilliantly!! I saw so many fantastic Diana's at Dragon Con (even one with the gold texture/pattern perfectly painted on the bodice), but didn't manage to take any photos. Anyone else want to share what they've accomplished?

WW1.jpg

WW3.jpg

WWgold.jpg

WW2.jpg

I've been meaning to share some shot of the finished costume! DragonCon was amazing (always is) and I really enjoyed wearing my finished training armour costume! I already want to remake some pieces (for instance, I don't like the paint job on the bracers) but all in all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out and came together :)

Wow 2PlayerGame, that's awesome. The pictures with the Greek(ish) stone pillars are brilliant... they make an excellent costume look like it stepped right out of the movie. Excellent pictures.

@springsteel I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you may be referring to me?? Pictures are above :)

Hell yeah you are!! The Peachtree arches look amazing with you! I don't remember what I was wearing, but I awkwardly grabbed you as you headed down the stairs/escalator in the Marriott. Phenomenal costume! I feel like I shouldn't even bother with it now that I've seen perfect.

springsteel I remember that!! I wish you would have made me slow down and tell me that you were also in this thread! Glad we could meet momentarily though!

Also, someone needs to make this costume and do a tutorial justice. I vote you do it!! ;D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back