5K Of Batman

CharlzO

A few days ago at work, a co-worker had given me a link to a local 5K event at the local Arts Council fun day. I'm not a huge runner, but I do try to get out and jog here and there. And then I looked at the weather, and it said mid 50s, and possibly rainy. That was the point where I made a comment "Well, I do have one outfit at home that would keep me warm." And then I decided further, that there was no reason I couldn't have a little fun with it. While it was a timed run, it wasn't like I was planning on winning, and I knew there were going to be people participating for the fun, not for the race. So at that point, I made the decision to bring a little Gotham to Norwich, NY.

FB_IMG_1494175904170.jpg FB_IMG_1494175982731.jpg FB_IMG_1494175817833.jpg

I also was able to take pictures with about a dozen people afterwards, and it was a lot of fun going down the road, having kids hollering from their bedroom windows, cars going by with the thumbs up out the windows, and the cheering when I crossed the line.

I also learned a few things. Even prepared mentally for the potential heat of the suit (which wasn't the biggest problem), I did forget to factor in the overall weight. That became very apparentl about a block down the street. So at that point, I decided I would jog at least until we got off the Main Street and around the corners, and then walk a little, and then alternated between jogging and walking (though I tried to walk in a way to imply I was stalking down an injured bad guy ahead of me), saving my strength until the last stretch back to the finish. I also learned that while single layer of socks works fine for walking, it doesn't for running in these boots. Whereas for Halloween I wore it all day and walked a few miles with zero issues, running needs more padding. Hard with the fit of the boots being perfect, but I needed a 2nd pair. Lesson learned. Instead of my normal eyeblack which went missing on me, I stopped and picked up some Maybelline which was a lot easier to apply, and held up beyond fine through the whole thing. Granted, I was only out for a little over an hour or so total, but it was raining, and I was sweating some, and it never faded or ran at all. I also learned that there is NO point in trying to take that stuff off without remover. Seriously, I tried just soap and water and a cloth and felt like I had about rubbed my cheekbone raw just to make a dent!

I had a lot of fun, even with a slow time, but it was a blast. Never felt the rain (take THAT!) and other than a couple blisters that I felt at the end, it was totally worth it. Kids loved it, adults loved it, and I'm glad I got to go out and dress up again.

Oh, and if you want to know why things like this are perfect for Batman? Because modern day races don't start with a gun, so you can run to the table and yell "Where's the trigger?!" You can also get to a corner and if you see no one, yell "Where are they?!". And the best, is at the end when someone shakes your hand and asks "What's your name?" You can simply say "It's not who I am underneath...."

Actually, I use the Coofunkcurly stunt cape, so it's already really light, and have it mounted through the jacket securely enough that I would hate to have to remove it. Plus, it's pretty resilient from what I've read and seen. I decided to go full package with the boots and all. If I had a good set of black sneakers, I might have reconsidered that, but I went full package. Can't say that I'd be running a lot more of these in it, but to show up and walk, I'd definitely do!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back