Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

Is there like any size chart or guide for the V3s? Are they true to size? I couldn't find anything regarding the size and I wanna make sure I order the correct one.

Good find. So it looks like they re-worked the LEDs as proper power indicator in the PL version.
You know, thinking about it... If David has seen this, the final v3.1 pl Mags may have came out different. Just like how he was using one size label before I sent him the other ones. If he had been sent this while they were still working on them, they may have been more accurate to the official ones

Several people had mentioned that only green lights are seen, and the other day, I decided to take another look at the BDs, and sure enough, green only.

NIKE apparently made the jacket(s) and there was a sort of doco on YouTube a few years back where they explained the choice mostly rubber materials. Like the shoes, several were made but what happened to them is anyone's guess. Given the nature of latex, I'd say it crumbed on most of them.

Well the screen used 2015 jacket has a lot of information on it. The denim jacket and vest have zero other than what fans have taken from pictures. We have more information on Doc's rifle from part 3 than we do for the 1985 costume.

Mine were TtS

Are they true to size for all sizes. US10s seem to be correct.

You know, thinking about it... If David has seen this, the final v3.1 pl Mags may have came out different. Just like how he was using one size label before I sent him the other ones. If he had been sent this while they were still working on them, they may have been more accurate to the official ones

If you sent him the labels and he took action on those, them maybe it worth sending him this anyway. Who knows what improvements can be implemented later on.

Well the screen used 2015 jacket has a lot of information on it. The denim jacket and vest have zero other than what fans have taken from pictures. We have more information on Doc's rifle from part 3 than we do for the 1985 costume.

Sorry, nothing to add here. I not as much of fan of that outfit as I am of the 2015 outfit.

Question ?

Where i can buy this ==> "A pair of v3's with broken lights for 200$"
I search on site web "sneakerahead.ru" but i don't find :(

a Idea ?

The broken light pairs are limited. They had select sizes and limited numbers. You will just have to keep checking up with them or bite the bullet and the pair with lights.

So in the film, the strap of the MAGs was pulled tight by a stage hand. It is supposed to wind up on a spool inside the buckle (according to the Nike patent), but that DOES NOT really work, due to how large the wrapped spool (with the strap) gets.

So a while back I suggested a track system to allow the strap to slide in, under itself. It could even be held in place with magnets and those magnets could be used to replace the switch that turns on the lights.

Today I had a play with some plastic and came up with this.

Template
36aea492b1504209a20a24d7836589e4.jpg

Using the same technique as when I did my first MAG pattern, I was able to use the complex 3D shape of the V3 buckle as the master, tape it up, peel off the tape and lay it out flat to form this 2D shape.

Buckle concept.
a54c4a33dc4e0c8304436119d88d409b.jpg

This is made from 2 layers of 3mm and ideally it needs to be made from up to 4 layers to get the right shape as a final part.

Strap logo added for point of reference.
Closed.
2802aba93dd27cc750c3d77e09630fbb.jpg

Open
f979238c3597e389490080e3778c9fcd.jpg

Closed
e74ed17826808fd52d5f8ea6da1e36f0.jpg

Open
9fc39954b04c9d1c501ccd2d70ee79b7.jpg

The strap can come out if need be, but there seemed to be enough room in this loop to slide my food in and out. The strap did pop out a few times during testing.

The buckle is made from Perspex that thermoformed and layered. Next time, I think it will be better to layer up all the parts first, then heat and bend.
The strap in this example is HIPS and it seems the superglue I used to attach the strap logo in attacked the plastic as it snapped and you can probably see that in the 2nd image. To do this a proper version would need a better type of flexible plastic and I think polyprop would be ideal. Have it laser cut to have the logo slot and magnet holes done.

Anyway, this is just a concept idea but one that could be workable with more time.

Last edited:
cavx this strap looks awesome. I wonder if you would overcome your problem of the logo coming undone by wrapping the whole strap in laminating plastic and sealing everything in place. This would also help seal the electronics that wound eventually live inside/underneath the Nike logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cavx this strap looks awesome. I wonder if you would overcome your problem of the logo coming undone by wrapping the whole strap in laminating plastic and sealing everything in place. This would also help seal the electronics that wound eventually live inside/underneath the Nike logo.

Thanks. The goal here is to keep everything as close to the same size as the factory parts, but have a whole new level of cool to them.
The logo is least of my worries. It was only put on there to give a point of reference when the strap was open or closed. I could have used a dot from a Sharpie.

When the straps are done properly, they will laser cut and the polygon shape will be cut out allowing the new Glow Kit I am making to fit right in.

Well, i've got 250$. Hoping David is willing to be flexible and sell me a pair of ones with old lights through Western Union. I can't get anything more for about 2 weeks, probably even longer

Last edited:
i would say magnets would be nice for the straps
and the strap does not necerraly have to go through the buckle hole

Exactly. It just feeds into a slot. When I drew this up in CAD, it seem like all that is needed is one magnet on the strap and two in the buckle, one on each side - open mode and closed mode. Done.

You scored. That is just over half of the amount most of us had to pay. ,

I do have a box but I thinks it is slightly over rated.

At least you have a charger. I bought 2 pair and still don't have one. I had to source the plugs to USB leads.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You scored. That is just over half of the amount most of us had to pay. ,

I do have a box but I thinks it is slightly over rated.

At least you have a charger. I bought 2 pair and still don't have one. I had to source the plugs to USB leads.

Heh, don't suppose anyone on here has a box they'd be willing to send off? Lol highly doubt it. I had a pair before, for which I paid full price. But I sold them to buy my little bro a nintendo switch. I'm going to a convention in a little bit so I needed a pair and fast for my costume

Ok reworked the new buckle. I am going after the more rounded movie version than the flatter 2011 / V3 version.
Hopefully this shows all angles.
I will need to remove the broken HIPS strap and replace it with a new polypropylene strap.
36a664177f3cf4c0e693b22e8e21e802.jpg
7481d181268bf7bbbc4f0bc190fc1181.jpg
afd5271d29e2cd38e342e24614a45f27.jpg
e145cc4a89018aa0a5869ba02a314e6f.jpg
5b9d35a8a0d81cedd6f2c206147bd578.jpg
8afd1743e16c6c2ef92da53d2e341509.jpg
931797b6c7d7d7b4288e0f70b56462ed.jpg
0f8cdfe2a1794e0855a28c6a93a347ca.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back