I've got an airbrush kit, now what?

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang,

I just received an airbrush kit + compressor for my birthday and was wondering if there were any tips and tricks I should know. I watched a few videos on how to properly clean and maintain but that's about it. I'm really interested in this alclad paint too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

congrats!! You'll never look at another rattle can again... hahahaha

Read the instructions first.

Get comfortable with it. It's going to feel kinda alien at the start, but that's ok. Practice on some paper to get used to it. Do the dots, lines... play with it a bit. Use bits of paper to make quick masks...

as for the alclad paints, thin coats is the key. The results are amazing though.

enjoy your new toy. :)

I bought one myself about 5-6 months ago along with some new brushes and kit so I can practice painting again. I wound up falling into just doing it digitally and it's been collecting dust since. :lol

congrats!! You'll never look at another rattle can again... hahahaha

Read the instructions first.

Get comfortable with it. It's going to feel kinda alien at the start, but that's ok. Practice on some paper to get used to it. Do the dots, lines... play with it a bit. Use bits of paper to make quick masks...

as for the alclad paints, thin coats is the key. The results are amazing though.

enjoy your new toy. :)

Thanks! I plan doing a lot of experimentating before trying in on a prop. Is it safe to spray in doors? I may have to wait till spring otherwise.

I bought one myself about 5-6 months ago along with some new brushes and kit so I can practice painting again. I wound up falling into just doing it digitally and it's been collecting dust since. :lol

Oh come on, now is your chance to pick it back up!

Thanks! I plan doing a lot of experimentating before trying in on a prop. Is it safe to spray in doors? I may have to wait till spring otherwise.

It depends on the paint you use, but you can always set up a small exhaust to be able to spray indoors. I do all my spraying indoors, but I open a window and set up an exhaust to get the fumes out.

Primer isn't always necessary. For most model kits I just need to wipe down with some rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth before putting on the base color

Sometimes I will even wash the parts in the kitchen sink with a little dishwashing detergent and scrub with a toothbrush.

About the only time I prime is for mixed media subjects or work I had to do lots of filling and sanding.

I don't always prime, but when I do I use Tamiya fine surface primer out of a spray can.

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone. Practice. pick any scrap plastic you have decide on a paint style you want to try, paint the scrap and try it. Do it over and over with different techniques of washes dry-rub etc etc. one of the pointers I found that is actually really good is when you screw up - and you will - don't throw it away and start over. Try different techniques for "fixing" it. I found the tricks I have for "fixing" things are at least as valuable for hiding goofs on a finished model as painting it perfect the first time.

Graduate from scrap to "cheap" models. Or even better old broken ones - try "fixing" them up. again its just another form of practice... Don't work on anything you plan on being proud of (although you may become surprised at how well things come out).

techniques to try/master:

laying down a clean primer - no bumps or bubbles or dust etc.
same thing with a color on top, flat, gloss, and clear.coats.
washes
dry-brushing
preshades
applying decals (to gloss coats) and sealing.
spatters

that's the big hitters of things to master. with those in your tool box you'll be making some great models

Jedi Dade

Get a respirator. How safe it is depends entirely on the paint, but I can tell you from personal experience, even water based acrylic paint can and will get into your nose and lungs as you work with it. Generally working in a well ventilated are or with some exhaust fan you should be ok, but there may be times when you'll want or need to work in an enclosed environment, and that's when the mask comes in handy.

Also get or make a cleaning pot. You're going to have to shoot cleaner through the brush when changing colors as wells as end of work clean up. You could spray into a towel or a plastic bag, but that gets messy, not to mention then you will still have some paint floating around in the air.

I made a cleaning pot out of the small plastic nozzle that came from an old cleaning pot and a gallon milk jug. I stopped the top of the jug with an old pill bottle that I'd filled with a few cotton balls, a bit of activated charcoal and more cotton balls. Some plumbers tape around the bottle gave me a tight seal, then I drilled a few small holes in the cap of the bottle to let out the excess pressure.

Also, if you've still got a fair amount of paint in the cup after shooting, don't be afraid to pour that back into the bottle, even if you added in some reducer it wont really harm the paint.

You're either going to figure out you're a complete natural pro, or a caveman banging it with a rock saying "C'mon, paint it!" :lol I'm the latter, though I haven't really taken steps to practice other than simple paint jobs.

I'm trying to decide what project I would like to start on after some practice. I may see if I can replicate the appearance bluing for a resin pistol!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back