Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
Subscribe
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 23, 2017, 7:34 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #251

Kylo1 said: View Post
    That's a good an idea thanks although I did want to rough the saber up a bit and give it some oven cleaner treatment before I addressed the paintwork.
    You can always do this of course, beforehand

Cha´m
  2. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    May 23, 2017, 8:01 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #252

I'd use some acetone and a combo of shop towels and q-tips to remove the paint, although the oven cleaner can remove it, too.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    May 23, 2017, 8:12 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #253

Or perhaps just a light rubbing of fine sandpaper/ steel wool to take the shine off the gloss paint
  4. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    May 23, 2017, 9:39 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #254

Hi all. I have just purchased an Anakin Starkiller unibody V2 and I was wanting to add some more weathering, replace the current clamp/clamp card & re-do the paintjob using a satin black paint rather than keep the current gloss paint. Any advice on what paint stripper best to use?
    Attachment 730681

I do believe that was mine
    If you have a set of the trooper-trent stencils when you repaint it make sure you remove them as soon as possible after paint goes on.
    I found that if you leave them for any length of time they stick like **** to a blanket!
    May 23, 2017, 10:09 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #255

userd1402 said: View Post

I do believe that was mine
    If you have a set of the trooper-trent stencils when you repaint it make sure you remove them as soon as possible after paint goes on.
    I found that if you leave them for any length of time they stick like **** to a blanket!

Haha yes it was yours...I love it! I just wanted to make it more weathered using the methods that I have seen on here and I think I would get a better result by removing the paint first. Yeah I have got a set of trooper-trents stencils so thanks for the tip
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    May 23, 2017, 7:14 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #256

Some acetone or lacquer thinner and some paper towels should take the paint of with some gentle rubbing. You can also bring a dish sponge with the scrubbing side to help speed that process up.
    May 24, 2017, 8:47 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #257

Trooper_trent said: View Post
    Some acetone or lacquer thinner and some paper towels should take the paint of with some gentle rubbing. You can also bring a dish sponge with the scrubbing side to help speed that process up.
    Thanks guys. Would actual paint stripper be too harsh to use then?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 24, 2017, 3:19 PM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #258

Thanks guys. Would actual paint stripper be too harsh to use then?
    i would do what trent said, acetone. i use acetone on aluminum all the time to redo paint jobs.
    May 25, 2017, 5:11 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #259

halliwax said: View Post
    i would do what trent said, acetone. i use acetone on aluminum all the time to redo paint jobs.
    Ok great. I will post pics with my progress
    Jun 15, 2017, 1:02 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #260

Just wondering if anyone knows what the original finish to the clamp on the V2. I have a pair off Romans chrome and satin clamps and am unsure which to use. In my opinion vintage photos and stills point to a weathered chrome clamp being used but its hard to tell for sure.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 15, 2017, 7:16 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #261

Just wondering if anyone knows what the original finish to the clamp on the V2. I have a pair off Romans chrome and satin clamps and am unsure which to use. In my opinion vintage photos and stills point to a weathered chrome clamp being used but its hard to tell for sure.
    Weather clamp all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:03 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #262

Thanks Halliwax but do you know if the original V2 clamp was chrome or satin?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:12 AM - Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread #263

The original clamp always seemed "brushed nickel" to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk