1980/90's action figures and playsets

Joe Scrivens

My growing collection of 1980/90's action figures and playsets, 100% complete in their original box. I am aiming for completion on the TMNT Playmates 1988 10 backs and the TMHT Playmates/Bandai 1988 playsets.

FB_IMG_1479070759048_zpsmmxf9rki.jpg

20161123_150104_zpscasoat8m.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The only playsets I have from when I was a kid is the Death Star. It's 100% intact but it has play wear. I have all the foam debris that goes in the trash compactor, but it's starting to break down and turn into dust. Having to keep it outside in our garage doesn't help I'm sure.

The only playsets I have from when I was a kid is the Death Star. It's 100% intact but it has play wear. I have all the foam debris that goes in the trash compactor, but it's starting to break down and turn into dust. Having to keep it outside in our garage doesn't help I'm sure.
Not an easy set to find! Is it complete with it's box?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gotta love those turtles! Had I known I was going to turn into a collector when I was older I would have saved all my original figures. All I have from the 80's now is a handful of micro machines.

I still have my castle greyskull(missing the drawbridge dang it) Ghostbusters firehouse, and the TMNT Technodrome. Too bad its missing the eyeball though. I played the hell out of those things. Good luck on getting everything!

I sold off all that stuff back in 2006 at an estate sale, i wish i hadn't because soon after i got into customizing. I had nearly every ID4 Independence Day playset including the tiny ones that were inside the alien heads. It's getting harder and harder to find stuff in the boxes at a reasonable price as more people are collecting, my buddy used to get Transformers for next to nothing back in 1996/1997 and now even the parts alone are top dollar. Now I know why my dad always got mad when i tossed out the boxes for stuff. I had about 25 1990s X-Men figures, before Marvel Legends happened, that were carded that i let go dirt cheap too. When my mom worked at kmart she'd let me put like 150.00 worth of them in layaway and make payments after her discount.

Thanks for sharing,Joe !
After selling my Transformers (and regretting it),I recentely ran into a website that sells Takara Masterpiece Transformers among others.I was blown away by the amount of detail,and improved articulation and proportions of the overall figure.I never knew they kept making Transformers after the G1 toy line.
Turtles,Spider-man and G.I.Joe were awesome as well

I made a stop-motion using most of the old figures except the turtles, they were the 2003 ones. And the Super Shredder one, the most pathetic figure ever.

Thanks for sharing,Joe !
After selling my Transformers (and regretting it),I recentely ran into a website that sells Takara Masterpiece Transformers among others.I was blown away by the amount of detail,and improved articulation and proportions of the overall figure.I never knew they kept making Transformers after the G1 toy line.

Don't feel bad, I also sold my Gen. 1 Transformers when I was around 12. I had Optimus, Jetfire, Shockwave, all the tapes, and a bunch of others I don't recall.

Well Sluis,one thing that could make parting from these toys 'bareable' is that the '90ies Transformers toyline was way too rigid and fragile (in my humble opinion).Look at the Takara Masterpieces today and the improvements made on joint articulation and detail.In that sense,the toyline was 'upgraded',eventhough they have now pretty much become expensive Collector's Items.Nevertheless love 'em :angel

The newer ones my nephew got in the last maybe 6 years or so do seem more fragile as well. Also they are complicated as heck to transform! Some of them I had to check instructions to transform. The originals were so much easier!

Thanks for sharing,Joe !

Takara's also doing reissues of generation one. Bigbadtoystore.com is a good source for them in the US. The hasbro stuff is okay but they always shortchange us on stuff like the Masterpiece figures as they didn't even give Rodimus his trailer in the US when japan got it. Hasbro's been trying to shut down 3rd party companies as they're losing so much money to them as the companies put out way nicer figures and usually characters fans want but never get.

they are complicated as heck to transform! Some of them I had to check instructions to transform. The originals were so much easier!
The '90ies toyline was for kids to play with; by looking at the prices,you can already see the Takara Masterpieces are collector's items and most definitely not meant to be played with.
Wes R: Hasbro did a good job back then,but lately when I look at their robots I even tend to prefer Third Party Transformers over theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that one of Krang's vehicles?

yeah, its was home base for all the baddies. this was one of my favorite toys i got for christmas. we didnt have a lot of money growing up, so toys were limited. i cherished this playlet and still have it today packed up in storage

- - - Updated - - -

another sought after toy of mine was this...

89_express_Catalog.jpg

i was 6 years old when i needed my tonsils out. when i came home dad set this up in the living room for me to surprise me. this set here is the most important collectable in my life... the damn thing still works too... i love it "thanks dad"

I had MUSCLE figures, Gobots, Centurions, MASK, Starcom, He-man, Tranformers, Star Wars, GI Joe. I probably had more GI Joe stuff than any of the others. I even sold all the rest (I stupidly gave away my SW stuff...) to buy more GI Joe toys.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back