My Daughter's $25.00 Scratch Built Rey Staff

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know these builds are a dime a dozen now but my 8 year old daughter made me happy yesterday by saying for the second time in her life she wanted to be a Star Wars character for Halloween (was so surprised because she usually wants to be a Disney Princess). She wanted a Rey staff and I wasn't about to buy that crappy Rubies one for $25. So I took a quick trip to Lowes and $21.00 and 30 minutes later I left with the below pieces. I want to keep this project around the same price as what it would have cost had I bought the Rubies one.

Since she could care less and I don't want to spend much money, screen accuracy is out the window. This is just a fun Daddy / Daughter project that will hopefully be in Star Wars spirit what it lacks in accuracy.

Rey 1.JPG

So this is what we came up with today, I think it looks good. First thing out of her mouth after this initial mock up was, "Can you put lights in it?". *Sigh*.........well, I do have an idea for that................

Rey 2.jpg

Rey 3.jpg

If those words ever came out of my 9yo. niece's mouth, I'd buy her the full price expensive version! :lol So far all she will say is that she likes Ahsoka, but the movies (she would only watch ANH and ESB) are "boring". :cry

that looks awesome so far, can't beat it for $21! The scratch made ones can look really good when the paint and wraps are added. I did one last year before 3d prints came out. Some pics of it are at:
https://emeraldb.com/2016/03/27/star-wars-rey-costume-part-4-build-reys-staff/

I was considering buying a 3d print one, but we upgraded the sling on it to the screen accurate one and took it to a Con a couple months ago. Got alot of compliments on it and people really liked the fact it was made from plumbing parts. So I think we are going to stick with it for now.

Very cool you are putting that level of detail into a kid's costume, the kids who come around here for Halloween never have anything that good!

Fantastic! I love the Home Improvement Store found item(s) builds. Better yet... another Star Wars Fan realized!

Good for her!!

Hopefully this will be the first of many Halloweens for you and her as Star Wars characters! :thumbsup

Thanks all!

Finished assembly on this today and my daughter couldn't be more excited. Used a drill press to bore a hole and added an on / off switch.

IMG_2645.JPG

Then I secured three pink LEDs to some foam board and added to both ends.

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

Ran all the wires through the staff.

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

And final assembly.

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

The ends with the LEDs unscrew so I can change the battery. I'll tape off the clear windows on this next and start painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update, base coat of black ties it all together. Need to start weathering, add the fabric around the center, and add rings and a sling, maybe a few greeblies if I have time.

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

Very nice... Do you have a parts list, my niece is wanting a Rey costume.

I knew someone was going to ask that after I tossed the receipt. I should have remembered based on my scratch built light saber crystal chamber thread! Sorry, I don't have that list. But, if you print the picture in the first thread, I am sure someone in that section of Lowes / Home Depot can point them out. I used 1/2" SCH 40 for the main staff, I believe some 3/4" SCH 40 for the two larger handle sections, some couplers (both threaded and slip), and the two end pieces below the clear window pieces, comes as complete pieces (see pic below). Sorry, hope that helps.

2.jpg

Jumping around between projects again, but I managed to get $1.60 worth of fabric for the center handles and then mounted the rings. Just need to adjust the sling and start weathering.

IMG_2715.JPG

Wanted to try and work on this before Halloween gets here. I used a telephone handset cord to add some detail and then we started putting some base coats of weathering down. Will try and finish it this weekend.

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

I helped a youngin' with one of these too. She came to me with a bag full of Home Depot parts and a phone cord. They come out pretty good, as I see you already know.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back