STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS QUESTIONS YOU ALWAYS WANTED ANSWERS FOR and OBSERVATIONS

Re: STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS QUESTIONS YOU ALWAYS WANTED ANSWERS FOR and OBSERVATI

When Finn goes looking for water after his crash he asks 3 people at the village for water. The third person/alien says to Finn " I shot the Copolia " . Who is the Copolia? Do we ever see the Copolia?

Um... That's not English he's speaking. :p

what is the name of the ridiculous looking droid who tells the resistance that bb8 is at Maz's Castle. I thought I read somewhere that was supposed to be played by a female human?

Sure you're not getting that droid mixed up with the human female who alerts the First Order that the droid is there?

--Jonah

Re: STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS QUESTIONS YOU ALWAYS WANTED ANSWERS FOR and OBSERVATI

Um... That's not English he's speaking. :p

Sure you're not getting that droid mixed up with the human female who alerts the First Order that the droid is there?

--Jonah

No there is a goofy droid looking thing that reports BB-8 is there to the Resistance.

No there is a goofy droid looking thing that reports BB-8 is there to the Resistance.

Yes, I know. OP said he thought he read somewhere that that was supposed to be a human female and not a droid. Since two individuals at Maz's place reported the droid's presence, and one of them was a human female, I asked if maybe he miinterpreted what he read.

--Jonah

Actually, I have to say that I DID notice a big difference in that scene (where Han is talking to Rey outside the Falcon and hands her a blaster) - and I did think Ford looked much older in that scene than elsewhere in the film. His face looks much looser and more tired, and his hair appears thinner, longer and more unkempt - all of it contributing to him really showing his age (or older). Now, of course that could be due to being filmed at a different time, or being filmed in (what appears to be) outdoors when all the prior scenes were indoors - but, yeah, that scene that really stuck out to me on my first viewing as well (and still does.)

M

I know I saw it and glad someone else here did too. It just looks creepy.

It isn't addressed in TFA, but my take was that the flesh was burned off of the false hand shortly before the scene we saw in Rey's vision of Luke crouching next to R2 and he extends that mechanical hand as they sit beside some sort of fire. Perhaps the flesh was burned off as he tried to rescue someone from a burning building?

Dunno, but it would make sense that if this did happen during the destruction of his Jedi Academy--and he went into self-imposed exhile immediately after--that he probably didn't bother to get the flesh restored, and may indeed have left it that way as a reminder / pennace for having had his nephew turn dark and destroy what he was doing with the Jedi.

Actually, my thinking on it is similar but different – I assume that his hand had been without skin probably since ROTJ. Remember, it was looking at his damaged hand and seeing the mechanicals inside that made him realize that his path would be the same as his father's if he did not pull back from the Dark Side at the conclusion of the duel on the second Death Star. I was guessing he simply removed the rest of the skin from the damaged prosthetic hand and left it exposed – or occasionally covered with just a glove – as a constant reminder of that lesson.

M

Actually, my thinking on it is similar but different – I assume that his hand had been without skin probably since ROTJ. Remember, it was looking at his damaged hand and seeing the mechanicals inside that made him realize that his path would be the same as his father's if he did not pull back from the Dark Side at the conclusion of the duel on the second Death Star. I was guessing he simply removed the rest of the skin from the damaged prosthetic hand and left it exposed – or occasionally covered with just a glove – as a constant reminder of that lesson.

M

I think so too, it's very poetic that way.

Remember, it was looking at his damaged hand and seeing the mechanicals inside

Actually replying to myself (yay me!) to make a little correction – I don't have the movie in front of me, but if memory serves, his hand was actually damaged and the mechanicals exposed during the barge battle on Tatooine. Then he looked at the hand while in flight and covered it with a glove, and he looked at the gloved hand after looking at his father's exposed mechanical arm and made the mental connection. Still making the same point, but I did not want to lose my geek credibility points on a technical foul. :)

M

I've got a big one:

Even before the movie came out, people started insisting "it's just like the OT!" Why does anyone think that? Sure the key players are back and there's plenty of references and callbacks, but that's it. The cinematography, editing, overall look of the film is different (in spite of the insistence on using film and "real" sets).

I'm not saying that automatically makes it good or bad, but it isn't the same either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BX18Icf6fQ

Lots of similarities. But I still loved it.

That video is ridiculous.

This is not a TFA movie question, but: Hasbro has released action figures of characters that are not even on screen. Why no Luke figure?

Not what I meant but I think you know that. ;)

This is not a TFA movie question, but: Hasbro has released action figures of characters that are not even on screen. Why no Luke figure?

I have a feeling there will be one, now, but I can see why Disney wouldn't want figures of him released before the film, spoilers and all.

I know I saw it and glad someone else here did too. It just looks creepy.

Well, I just watched TFA again (enjoyed it just as much as every other time) and I think I have a pretty good guess as to why Han looks so "off" in that shot. I think it is a pickup shot filmed post-accident but before he was fully "back on his feet" so to speak.

In addition to his hair being different, looking more tired, etc. it always struck me that he seemed to be holding himself funny, more like a "frail old man". Then today I noted that he doesn't move below the waist much at all, and certainly doesn't take any steps. It's like he's rooted in one spot. (Once they try to imply movement, but he's really just shifting his weight and pivoting a little at the hips to imply as is he's about to take a step, but that's it.) I think his leg is in a cast or he is on one of those "knee wheelchairs" or something else propping him up but also keeping him stationary. Watch the scene again and it becomes pretty noticeable.

That's the only scene in the film where his injury is even slightly noticeable (to me). Perhaps it was just a pickup shot because they had to get the shot at an exterior location before moving on, so maybe they asked him to do before fully healed, which would also explain why his appearance doesn't match any of the shots before or after.

M

Well, I just watched TFA again (enjoyed it just as much as every other time) and I think I have a pretty good guess as to why Han looks so "off" in that shot. I think it is a pickup shot filmed post-accident but before he was fully "back on his feet" so to speak.

In addition to his hair being different, looking more tired, etc. it always struck me that he seemed to be holding himself funny, more like a "frail old man". Then today I noted that he doesn't move below the waist much at all, and certainly doesn't take any steps. It's like he's rooted in one spot. (Once they try to imply movement, but he's really just shifting his weight and pivoting a little at the hips to imply as is he's about to take a step, but that's it.) I think his leg is in a cast or he is on one of those "knee wheelchairs" or something else propping him up but also keeping him stationary. Watch the scene again and it becomes pretty noticeable.

That's the only scene in the film where his injury is even slightly noticeable (to me). Perhaps it was just a pickup shot because they had to get the shot at an exterior location before moving on, so maybe they asked him to do before fully healed, which would also explain why his appearance doesn't match any of the shots before or after.

M

I agree.....when you compare to what he looks like now,...he definitely looks like he was restricted at that point & probably in pain

J

not happy with JJ's example of R2's sleep mode i would like that answered different lol

not happy with JJ's example of R2's sleep mode i would like that answered different lol

Yes,...when I saw the film I automatically made sense of the scene with Luke placing his hand on R2's head as though he was entrusting him with another secret mission.....my initial take was that R2 was to wait until Rey turned up,....then bring her to Luke

JJ could be doing a 'Cumberbatch isn't Khan' with the explanation because they want it revealed in ep 8,.....I really hope this happens,......JJ's sleep mode is a bit lame

J

So, does the new novel Bloodlines blow out of the water the theory that Rey was training with Luke when Kylo turned and that she was hidden on Jakku to shield her from him? Possible spoilers:

In the film, it looks like she's left on Jakku, when she is around 8 years old. She's obviously closer to 18-20 when TFA begins, so around 10 years have passed. But the official summary says that Bloodlines is set 6 years before TFA, and Ben Solo is 23 and still training with Luke. So the attack on Luke's academy - and Luke's disappearance, and the waterfall effect it had on Han and Leia's marriage - happened no more than 5-6 years before TFA. Well after Rey was left on Jakku.

(Of course, I note that Han implies it happened a lot longer before, with all the references to having heard lots of legends about where Luke may have gone. But this is the same man who, when the Jedi were the dominant peacekeepers in the galaxy until he was around 10 or so, acted almost as if they were a long-forgotten myth in ANH - so maybe Han's memory went bad well before old age hit.)

M

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back