Han Solo's ANH "Hero" DL-44 Blaster

Machinimax

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo

Han Solo's DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol

IMG_0406_zpsrbpbjr4r.jpg

This reveal has been a long time coming but is finally here! Like last time, the assembly of the blaster was based upon the designs of Scottjua. In fact it is thanks to Scott that I got the parts I needed!

Specs

Denix base with real wooden grips
Dark Energy Creations aluminum/pewter cast blaster kit
Todd's steel flash hider
Plecter Labs Blaster Core v3
Superflux barrel LED
Premium speaker

The ANH DL-44 definitely requires a lot more machining work than an ESB style but the end results are more than worth it! DEC did a fantastic job on their kit and it turns the Denix into something completely new. All bare metal parts were painted black with the exeption of the bull barrel and the knobs which were blued with Birchwood Casey aluminum black. I even took the time to drill through the barrel and add lights!

IMG_0414_zpsrjwyynhw.jpg
IMG_0420_zpsjzu63ss5.jpg
IMG_0421_zpsnep41kbs.jpg

Build Pics

image_zpse1nhjvxk.jpg
image_zpsjo16xg7u.jpg
image_zpsom9mjzt1.jpg

Video

https://youtu.be/TwNxGnY7QS8

There is an indescribable joy to having this iconic Star Wars weapon, probably second only to the saber itself! Thanks for looking, all!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely beautiful! In my opinion, this is one of the ultimate props to have in any movie collection. You did an absolutely beautiful job with it! I'm hoping to get one of these built sometime. But I don't have any kind of metal working tools at the moment, and honestly I'd like to hold out for an MGC replica if possible.

The build looks great! I'm getting my parts together to do a similar build.
Can i pick your brain and ask what paint you used? Anything special or just a matte black? I can't decide if I want to strip everything and blue it all or just paint.

The build looks great! I'm getting my parts together to do a similar build.
Can i pick your brain and ask what paint you used? Anything special or just a matte black? I can't decide if I want to strip everything and blue it all or just paint.

Yup just a simple matte black. I'm in love with the results. I did take the time to blue the bull barrel though. Word of warning, bluing these takes A LOT of time. If you decide to to that for any part, take your time.

that came out real great! what did you use to grid down the barrel? the grips look sweet!

Small hand files, typically used by a jeweler. I actually got them at a Michael's craft store and they have now become a great investment for my work station!

The grips are indeed sweet! They aren't even the DEC ones. Those are stock Denix grips.

Machinimax,

Love the blaster! Nice work.

Can you, Scottjua or anyone else give a little more info on how the electronics work? What size battery, how it's charged, any resistors, how the the trigger is activated, speaker location, etc?

I'd like to build a denix based DL-44 and am curious how to do it with sound and an LED with a blaster core or adafruit. Worst case, I'll get a Disney parks blaster and recycle the electronics of that. But I'd liek to know how it's works mechanically and electronically.

Thanks

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back