1:1 Rocket Racoon & Groot

Re: Rocket Racoon 1:1 poseable statue build

Really coming along great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I finally got some actual airbrushing done. This is the first time I've ever done something like this (working with fur) so it's been a lot of experimentation and "I better not screw this up".

The first image shows him after an initial base round of color. Still too dark all around but upon studying real fur patterns, they are often darker closer to the skin and get lighter at the ends.

pass1.jpg

This second image, taken in daylight with my crappy phone cam, has a lot of light dry-brushing and things applied, as well as a few dark washes here and there. I might go back and add some more color. Some renders show Rocket as having a few rust-colored patches. This seems to change between scenes and lighting, but it might give him more life. (Note: the eyes still have their protective cellophane covering and will until the very last.) Also, I decided to completely re-model his nose and the image below shows a test of the new version. (I discovered that printing it in 20 microns with certain settings gives the surface a texture that is not unlike the pores of a real animal nose:)

pass2.jpg

Starting to get back into the groove after moving and made a very early start on Rocket's big body guard. Didn't want to use stilts since I have no experience with them and a bulky suit with a heavy Racoon+gun on my shoulder would make balancing difficult, so I went with insulation sheet. Finding high-top sneakers with velcro in men's sizes wasn't easy but the 'bay turned up a good set of Nikes. Not cheap, but worth if for being comfortable and perfectly suited to my needs. Had a bit of a hard time attaching them to the foam, but Gorilla Glue came to the rescue. (Damn, that stuff is grippy!) I've walked around a bit in them and it feels OK.

I'll be trying the insulation-with-latex-tissue-texture route on this. One of my main concerns is keeping him fairly slim so he doesn't end up looking chunky, which this method can result in. I also want to get the body proportions right, so I'll probably see if I can hide my head in his neck. Might try my hand at some form of animated mouth with teeth, either manually activated or animatronic.

day001.jpg

Wonderful work, just beautiful. Great attention to detail. Sub'd...

I'd go animatronic for anything it will add that "over the top" effect I have been waiting to see.
Or how about a animated flower that's in a hidden tube in your suit/palm and a servo or actuator pushes out the flower and it opens in your palm? lol
I'd love to see that one also, man you can do so much with Rocket and Groot its too much to think about... heh

I know it's been ages since I updated here, but the project is definitely not dead. I've just been so busy with other stuff.

Here are a couple minor points of progress.

Some hardware details for Rocket's suit:
rocketgreebz.jpg

I also did a very quick proof-of-concept test in getting Groot's arm down in size. Groot is very tall and lanky in build, so I don't want to go the insulation-foam-route on his entire body but maybe just use it in a couple places. I therefore had to come up with something that would look like bark but not add 1-2" of bulk all around. So far, so good. The idea is sound and held up well to bending and movement. With some external pieces of bark glued on, I think it will work.
grootarm.jpg

Do you still have the 3D model you used for rockets head? And if so would you be willing to share a copy with me?
christopher

Do you still have the 3D model you used for rockets head? And if so would you be willing to share a copy with me?
christopher

Heya Christopher. Apologies but I can't share or release the file. I could print on up for you if you wanted, though. Send me a PM in that case.

I also did a very quick proof-of-concept test in getting Groot's arm down in size. Groot is very tall and lanky in build, so I don't want to go the insulation-foam-route on his entire body but maybe just use it in a couple places. I therefore had to come up with something that would look like bark but not add 1-2" of bulk all around. So far, so good. The idea is sound and held up well to bending and movement. With some external pieces of bark glued on, I think it will work.
View attachment 727058

This is beautiful work! Mind sharing the technique you used to create the texture on these arm pieces? I'm really intrigued!

This is beautiful work! Mind sharing the technique you used to create the texture on these arm pieces? I'm really intrigued!

Thanks! It's actually not that advanced- a combination of a special "rough" industrial wiping paper and latex/acrylic-based caulking material, then sculpted over a life-dummy wearing a lycra undersuit. But I'll be adding some other techniques as needed.

(I'm also going to tear down major parts of my Rocket head. Just not happy with it. He needs a higher forehead, wider cheeks, larger eyes and a few minor coloring changes.)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back