Molding and Casting the Vibro Axe Soft-flo soaker

adamata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
To follow up on my scope thread, i thought I would show another odd casting method I use to make the soakers used on the vibro axe

When I finally found an original soaker, i knew i wanted to mold it, but the biggest issue was how would I get the main pipe through it. I couldn't mold it solid because drilling a 1" hole through a solid block of resin would suck and possible destroy the casting. I had thought about cutting it in half along its equator and casting it in 2 pieces, but that didn't sound too appealing either.

So, I thought why not try to mold it with a 1" hole already in it? and I came up with this.

I filled all the original soakers vents with clay and drilled out the bottom to fit a 1" pvc pipe

soaker_orig.jpg

then did a 2 part mold using the main equator as the divider. This way, it would be easier to do any seam cleanup. I used a RTV layering method instead of a block method so I could make a mother mold to hold it together. Notice the recess on the left mold at the bottom? That is for the "core"

soaker_molds.jpg

this is what it looks like closed

soaker_molds_2.jpg

Yeah, I know. She doesnt look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts

then, I created a 1" solid RTV core with a threaded bolt in the center that has some washers in it. it gave it some stability and I can use the bolt to pull it out

soaker_molds_center.jpg

with the mold halves secured with clamps, I slide the core into the mold and down into the recessed slot at the bottom using the bolt to lock in into place

soaker_molds_3.jpg

then i pour the resin into the opening seen above. Very, very carefully. There is a vent on the other side as well. When cured, I slide out the core, open the molds and then snap off the pour sprue and it looks like this:

v2_soaker1.jpgv2_soaker2.jpg

Ready to go.

And that is it :)

So, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Its just another *way* over-engineered casting method I use

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back