"BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

Canadian lo viz roundel on a big yellow square?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667340

Hmm. No, looking at the provided example, the proportions don't quite match (the blur isn't that extreme; note the width of the bordering circle), plus the fact the same graphic was used multiple spots with none of the deviation you'd expect from manual layering of such a tiny decal.

If anyone (Retired?) can trace it as a vector graphic in just yellow & black, then Google might be able to match it better to something. It may help if we have the actual size of the decal; I seem to recall someone determined the height of the mandible sidewalls was 2 inches, so perhaps that will help. For example, if it is a 1/4 inch square, then we could probably eliminate that it came from a 1/72 scale kit. I swear it looks familiar to me, though. For some reason, I'm thinking 1/32 Tamiya F-14, but I don't think that was around at that time... perhaps it came from an Italeri armor model?

Correction: For the 'Drive Safely' the numbers should be in a block 'trimmed corner' stencil style; size is good. Also, the number string is not quite correct; should be:
The red characters should be taller, about twice the height of the numbers. See below close-up.

Almost all the yellow 'warning' blocks actually say "KANSAS" with some still to be determined verbiage below. The yellow rectangle of the design has an outline of the state set inside. See below.

The mystery yellow block noted in post #19 appears to be a state inspection sticker; the decals are turned sideways so the word "PENNSYLVANIA" is at the top, with the state seal in the middle in the circle, with other TBD verbiage to the side and below, ending in "1970". I flipped the image below on the side for easier reading. The state seal can be googled, basically a couple of horses flank a center design.

The "rectangle of buttons" is actually a tractor truck (or trailer?) tax & prorate plate. It consists of a grid of lines, not regular in that some columns have more blocks than others, where tax stickers are applied for display on the truck. Sort of a multi-state license plate. The one below is from the starboard mandible wall near the cockpit.

My comments in post #11 need updating as the words "HANDLE INSIDE" appear on one line below the yellow block of the RESCUE arrow "group". See below.

Near the rescue arrow group is a red Warning block that reads: (same line breaks marked with '/ ')
WARNING / THIS AIRCRAFT CONTAINS A / CANOPY REMOVAL CONTAINING / AN EXPLOSIVE CHARGE / FOR COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS / SEE T. O. TF-4E. 2. 3
The word WARNING is roughly twice as tall as the remaining text; the numbers at the end are not completely clear so my best guess. All lines are centered, with equal line spacing except the top line is 2/3rds the spacing of the rest (spacing for most is same as text height.) Image below also shows good view of the "lined rectangle" blocks that appear a lot on the mandibles. I have no idea what they originally represented; up close, they look like floor heat registers with different colored vanes.

I updated post #12 to reflect the closeup below;

Also, a closeup of the 'gray dumbell' design is provided. Note there is a solid area connecting the circles.

Stephen really took some closeup pix!

Regards, Robert

Attachments

• drive safely.jpg
    drive safely.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 305
  • upside down rescue plate.jpg
    upside down rescue plate.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 294
  • rescue arrow group.jpg
    rescue arrow group.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 217
  • red warning.jpg
    red warning.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 212
  • prorate plate strbd mandible.jpg
    prorate plate strbd mandible.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 243
  • penn 1970.jpg
    penn 1970.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 233
  • kansas n colorful blocks.jpg
    kansas n colorful blocks.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 208
  • dumbell design near cockpit.jpg
    dumbell design near cockpit.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Hey guys, here is the next challenge for this project: what is the yellow & black graphic that appears in (near as I can find so far) at least in three different locations; one is a partial that appears 'cut'. I've spend nearly 5 hours searching for it, or a better image of it but have had no luck. It is of such a form that it appears to be a placard type marking from an military vehicle, but the design in the middle *could* be a logo of some kind, possibly found as a sponsor graphic on a race car. I just can't get it clear enough to get any real traction. Perhaps someone has a nice picture of it or can drop by the Seattle museum and take a tight pic of it to clarify what it really is.

I thought perhaps it was an International Harvester logo in the circle (because of the asymmetric height in the middle area) though it also looks like a 'turtle' body to me. So far, Google Image search fails because the shape is so indistinct all it apparently can do it search on the color palette, which brings up a bunch of building interior scenes. I also thought the logo might contain a "W", but no luck with that rabbit-hole. So, I'm stumped unless someone recognizes it from a kit they've built.

R/ Robert

There is also a Orange or Red version of that mysterious logo...

AzOKf7B.jpg

Possible; same design but with the lighting it is hard to tell if it actually is a different color or just bad light. Could be a different "year"? Looking for the decal that says "CORN" right now... ;^)

Correction: The red and gray design on the sheet that reads IOCN should have (partial S)OEN. See closeup. Update: S DEN (per Junk Pilot)
R/ Robert

Attachments

• red n white OEN.jpg
    red n white OEN.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Re: "BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

Dish details: an array of 'lollipop' designs in black, plus two ragged red rectangles at top & bottom of the dish.

- - - Updated - - -

The red blocks appear to be orange with red outline and red 'smudges' in the interior. Could have been parking lights off a car model?
UPDATE: Orange block & 'lollipop' circle numbered 23 & 24 respectively on spreadsheet

Attachments

• dish lollipops.jpg
    dish lollipops.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 178
  • ragged dish red block.jpg
    ragged dish red block.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I'm reading it as "SDEN". If you look closer at the top and bottom left corners of the second letter you'll see they are sharp 90 degree corners and not curved like the right side.

Possible; same design but with the lighting it is hard to tell if it actually is a different color or just bad light. Could be a different "year"? Looking for the decal that says "CORN" right now... ;^)

Correction: The red and gray design on the sheet that reads IOCN should have (partial S)OEN. See closeup.
R/ Robert

New decal: CONN. / 3 - 69
or is that CORN? ;^P

Regards, Robert
UPDATE: Numbered as #67 in spreadsheet

Attachments

• corn locator.jpg
    corn locator.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 159
  • corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Another Mystery Decal...

Not sure what it is but has some word on top and a Square Wave symbol below...

Logomark.jpg Capture2.JPG Or it is the number 12 or 21 just sideways...:)

Last edited:
I found this on another rpf thread here,

The one decal below with the ??? is actually the Isky decal...
ISKY Cams logo already noted in post #6 (good eye, though; looks like we're following close process for this investigation!)

Good catch, JPC-O in post #32 - is that the bottom of the 'port' docking ring?
In post #35, one attachment was invalid, please use EDIT to redo the attachment (assuming it is different than the two already showing.)
Also, the block of black text on the forward starboard mandible wall starts with the word "CAUTION"; hopefully I can decode the rest by contemplating its form... ;^)

R/ Robert

Last edited:
Hi rbeach84,

Yes the invalid photo has already been noted too, its ok ignore that one.

How about my post #34, any idea on that. Seems to appear more than one place around the ship.

Hi rbeach84,

Yes the invalid photo has already been noted too, its ok ignore that one.

How about my post #34, any idea on that. Seems to appear more than one place around the ship.

I only saw that one location in Stephen's archive, so far. It appears to be somekind of hazardous materials (chemical) diamond placard, just need to determine which one. Or, perhaps is it just the number '21' or '12' on a yellow diamond, applied sideways - I think you're right on that one??
If it is a HAZMAT diamond, it might say 'EXPLOSIVE' and then have two small picto symbols below it. But I like the number idea...
R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back