A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

If anyone can give me some idea what the proposed story is at all it would be greatly appreciated as all I have is some cool drawings and thats it
and those cool drawings came out a looong time ago.

To be fair, a *lot* more does exist. I've been fortunate enough to see everything from the ADI maquettes to story documents - all of which were exciting to me as a fan. I *hope* Neill chooses to reveal more, but there's plenty of reasons not to reveal everything at the moment.

But who does that rule apply to? There's real no hard and fast rule about what is and isn't "canon" - especially with this franchise. You can start with Charles Bishop Weyland vs. Peter Weyland as one of this series' multitude of canonical inconsistencies. The "rules" for canon - at least for this franchise - change with every new marketing team and production regime. One year we're told Aliens: Colonial Marines is "official studio sanctioned canon" for the sake of marketing a game, then a new regime comes in says, "Actually, here's the *new* canon." The only constant is change.

The film is the bedrock foundation. Games and comics are the cinematic equivalent of DLC.

I dont consider Alien Vs Predator canon in the slightest sense. They amount to nothing more than making a new Superman movie, giving him blonde hair, blue eyes, calling him Superguy and making his planet of origin Krapton.

Everyone of the Alien series has a direct connection to each other regardless of what you think of their quality so if you want to completely remove TWO of those films for just the sake of *change*, at the very least the instigator of that change has a responsibility to express to the millions of people who have followed that series with some semblance of information why that change is occurring, minimum.

Saying that you have seen great things about NB`s venture carries as much weight as me saying that I have seen things about Alien Awakenings and gee, its mind blowing. Thats what I was saying there.

The film is the bedrock foundation. Games and comics are the cinematic equivalent of DLC.

According to you, for you. Others feel differently. Disney / Lucas has an entire division dedicating to telling us things in their new comics, games, and books actually "did happen" - whether or not you or I or anyone tells them, "that's not really canon." Hellboy fans may consider the comics canon. LOTR fans the books. Tomb Raider fans the games.

I dont consider Alien Vs Predator canon in the slightest sense. They amount to nothing more than making a new Superman movie, giving him blonde hair, blue eyes, calling him Superguy and making his planet of origin Krapton.

And I don't consider Alien 3 canon. I don't need it to be. It's a personal choice.

Everyone of the Alien series has a direct connection to each other regardless of what you think of their quality so if you want to completely remove TWO of those films for just the sake of *change*, at the very least the instigator of that change has a responsibility to express to the millions of people who have followed that series with some semblance of information why that change is occurring, minimum.

Fact or opinion?

Saying that you have seen great things about NB`s venture carries as much weight as me saying that I have seen things about Alien Awakenings and gee, its mind blowing. Thats what I was saying there.

Whether or not it carries any weight with you is completely immaterial to me. While I have zero ego, what I do have is over two decades of working in film / tv and at least 15 years of working on projects for Fox. What did you think of the Awakenings script? I wasn't a huge fan.

As others have noted, you seem... "huffy." Just because you want something to be true or fact, about canon, or what filmmakers owe you, is intellectually dishonest, and doesn't actually, in fact, make it so.

Last edited:
The huffy thing wasnt directed at me. And hows that Knights of Ren thing going?

And Ive got nearly three decades of work in TV and Theatre, who cares?

Obviously not, I dont know where you came to the conclusion that I was having a go at you about you seeing some preliminary work from NB. I was simply pointing out that it doesnt help me to understand why he wants to make the film. If you shared some of that knowledge, maybe it would. There was zero reference to anyones ego.

Obviously not,

I'm still completely lost by your Knights of Ren comment, can you clarify? I don't recall working on, or commenting on any such project. Did I miss something?

I was simply pointing out that it doesnt help me to understand why he wants to make the film. If you shared some of that knowledge, maybe it would.

Neill discusses why he wants to make the film around the 0:58 mark here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Knights of Ren comment was to highlight the fact that it was completely disregarded in the latest film and I`m supposed to take it as canon and not just DLC? Do you at least agree that I never made any reference to egos?

The Knights of Ren comment was to highlight the fact that it was completely disregarded in the latest film and I`m supposed to take it as canon and not just DLC?

I don't quite understand the Knights of Ren comment. Was Knights of Ren a DLC thing?

Do you at least agree that I never made any reference to egos?

Of course. But you said, "Saying that you have seen great things about NB`s venture carries as much weight as me saying that I have seen things about Alien Awakenings and gee, its mind blowing" - what I was saying was it doesn't bother me if it carries weight with you (or anyone) - that I don't have an ego about it. I'm just some guy on the internet. If the Last Jedi taught me anything, it's the risk/reward for engaging with other "fans" online really has nothing much to offer beyond diminishing returns (and that's not directed at you, just my own observation on online fandom).

The only "beef" I have with the first Alien is that Scott revealed the beast...that, for me, was a big mistake! You loose a lot of mystery for it. If he had kept it in the dark, with a few short/fast close ups of teeth or hands/tail, shadows, sounds, that would've been way more scarier than the original movie.
Do you know how the Boogie Man looks like? Nope! Now, as I said before, it's all about "types" of creatures, hardware and ways to birth the Alien and ways to kill them, or kill the humans.
No more mystery there.:rolleyes

I`m not buyin it for one minute. I think he`s playing the old " I`ve moved on" card now in the hope that DisFox will have to beg him to make the movie when they finally decide to go with it. The master at work. Too cynical? Dont blame me, blame Hollywood.

From the video posted at #668

"I think there are many other franchises where I would want to turn it all upside down and just totally screw with it, and Alien isnt one of them"

Hmmm, that just somehow makes me feel uncomfortable. I ve heard that before from others and they totally screwed with it and turned it upside down. Cough Rian Johnson cough.

He should do a tad more research, for better or worse Alien 3 and 4 are part of that franchise last time I checked.

>INSERT DROPS MIC GIF HERE<...No, seriously, I dont know how to do it.;)

Last edited:
I'm with you on that one mate;) Reverse psychology at its best:rolleyes...until DisFox says: "Alright, show us how you're gonna do it".

In my head-canon 3 and 4 are Ripley's hypersleep dreams. They never happened.

Whereas Prometheus and Covenant are just 2 more examples of directors not understanding their own films...

NB's vision is pretty much what I've wanted to see since I was 15.
Kinda sad that I'll probably never see it.

In my head-canon 3 and 4 are Ripley's hypersleep dreams. They never happened.

Whereas Prometheus and Covenant are just 2 more examples of directors not understanding their own films...

NB's vision is pretty much what I've wanted to see since I was 15.
Kinda sad that I'll probably never see it.

Yup.

So David created the alien eggs on the engineer planet only 10 years before the events of Alien - where they were discovered by the Nostromo crew and described as "fossilized."

So many contradictions.

Trouble with NB is that his movies have a certain "look"...now, it's nice and dandy to be recognized instantly for that "look", but it's also a curse. Take any scenes of any movies NB made (even his shorts on YouTube) and you know it's from him! Many details here to discuss, but you know what I mean...The message also has become, somewhat, old and tired.
He has to get away from the social/poor/uneducated/used/slave/invaded/vying for a better existence philosophy:rolleyes. We got it, now let's spend some time exploring other concepts that could make NB's Alien more palatable for SRS (he could produce and not direct if the story is the bomb). A 180 is needed here!

I agree. His films have an appeal because its a world that is strange but just familiar enough. In other words Johannesburg, or Joberg.

Re: Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

The best part of ALIEN and Alien-Isolation is that the creature is a singular threat. I love Aliens, but I prefer a stalking alien as opposed to cannon fodder jumping and leaping aliens. I have said it before in other conversations but what made the Alien so scary on the first film was you never really saw it and when you did it was unclear what you were seeing, you just knew it was bad. I love some of the behinds the scenes stuff showing how they practiced the creatures movements intentionally making them odd so that it wouldn't look like a guy in a suit.

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but this is so true, and just doesn't seem to resonate as much anymore with filmmaking; how a small, claustrophobic setting with a small cast and limited set pieces really make a suspense/horror movie hit home. It feels like a natural extension of that whole "The walls are closing in" vibe, that's hard to relate to with a lot of expanse and motion and "stuff" going on everywhere. I know I'm probably in the minority with this, but it's what I thought made The Blair Witch Project effective; it feels very small, and draws you in accordingly.

The only thing IMO that keeps Alien from being an absolutely perfectly shot film, is when Dallas is caught in the ductwork and the alien does the whole "Gotcha!" thing. It's laughably silly on multiple viewings, and we never should have seen it at all, just heard Dallas' screams.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back