Harley Quinn hammer

Hydraxia

Any advice on making an oversized Harley Quinn hammer? I'll be Roller Derby-ing so need it to be super light. I'm a costume maker rather than a props maker but figure this should be easy enough for me to do.

Thanks in advance.

I'd get a bunch of those floral foam circles and glue them together. Use a lightweight dowel or plastic tube for the handle. Then you can coat it with modge podge or something similar before you paint it. That should be really light and still look like a giant mallet.

I really like KennyZ's suggestion. The one other way I can think of to go about it would be all tubing: go to a hardware store and ask what kind of plastic tubing they have and pick out something with a wide diameter for the head, then a thin, long PVC pipe for the handle. Enclose the ends of the head with cardboard (maybe stuff it with rolled up newspaper for a little stability), and paint it.

I made mine out of concrete pouring tubing (12" diameter) cut down to a 19" length and a shower curtain rod for the handle.
Harley Quinn (2014-10).jpeg
The handle, I covered with ducktape. The mallet itself is spray painted black and the ends are painted canvas and hot glued on.

I made one for my daughter for this past Halloween - In full disclosure, i made this from start to finish in less than 24 hours. I used the Sono-Tube (Concrete Form) - The 19" length sounds about right. I used inch or inch & 1/2 PVC for the handle - cut to about 5' in length. I used 1" pipe insulation to add bulk around each of the ends. I used 1" foam insulation panels to fill in the ends of the song-tube. I used Krylon spray paint for plastics for the color. I plan on taking another swing at this and taking more time to get the detail right. But i count this as a success for the time i allotted :)
IMG_2599.jpgIMG_2598.jpg

I kinda threw something together real quick for a big hammer for my Joki and my wife's Harley knock off. I used a large bottle that was for powdered protein mix and another that was used for Panko bread crumbs. bolted in the middle (with a actually bold :) and used a tube from a large plotter for the handle. I also wrapped some nylon strap around the joined hammer head pieces and the pole to strengthen it. A little foam, and some plas-dip to seal everything then, then primer, paint, and matte clear coat and a I have a cheap easy large hammer that I can use to work on computers :).

small hammer.jpg

small hammer 2.jpg

My husband made his out of styrofoam circles (cut from big sheets) and a length of PVC pipe. His ended up being pretty heavy partly because of the size (7 feet long), and partly because he coated the styrofoam part with plaster to make it more durable. If you skip that part, and make it smaller, it wouldn't be nearly as heavy (but I'd be concerned about it taking damage, especially in a roller derby environment!).

If you want something really lightweight but that can take a bit of a beating, what about something like those collapsible plastic tunnels? You can get them for cats, for kids, or as laundry baskets. You could cover it in fabric to make it look more like wood, or metal, or whatever look you're going for. You could probably still go with PVC for the handle, or a broomstick, or whatever works for you as far as size and weight goes.

Good luck with your build!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back