cw arsenal thread

@Etaru That's so cool! Did you make the jacket yourself? It looks awesome! You got the fading black to red just right, although the red colour looks a bit fluorescent (that may just be the pictures though) ;). I think you made the right choice with the deerskin material - in some of the reference pictures the hood does look to be made of a different material than the rest of the jacket. How much did the jacket cost to make in total?
Well done! :thumbsup

P.S. Thanks for the information about the screen jackets.

@Etaru That's so cool! Did you make the jacket yourself? It looks awesome! You got the fading black to red just right, although the red colour looks a bit fluorescent (that may just be the pictures though) ;). I think you made the right choice with the deerskin material - in some of the reference pictures the hood does look to be made of a different material than the rest of the jacket. How much did the jacket cost to make in total?
Well done! :thumbsup

P.S. Thanks for the information about the screen jackets.

Thanks Oswald! And yep, took about 3 days to draw up the patterns, it was a bitch lol. The jacket is really more of a blood red, the fluorescent definitely comes from lighting and photo editing - although, I think we'll take leather wax to the entire torso to darken it just a tad, the on-screen and promo jacket colors have variation so it's almost up in the air of which one is truly "correct". I'll let Kevin know that you approve of the deerskin suede, he made a good call ordering it, thank you!
The fabric cost is around $200-250, which covers the jacket and shoes (my labor was free haha), so we expect another $100-150 when the belts/bolts/escrima sticks are done, and quiver will be dependent on if we make it or have it commissioned.

Re: Definitive cw arsenal thread

Hey guys, we've been quietly watching this thread (and some others) with very attentive detail and wanted to thank you for all the work and research everyone here has contributed, it's truly appreciated it! My boyfriend and I made Arsenal/Roy for Emerald City Comic Con this past March, the "complete" version with all the belts, correct pants, and quiver will hopefully be done for C2E2 or Dragon*con, but wanted to show you guys and get feedback on all the resources and research everyone provided and what a HUGE help it can be. And use this to provide some help or answer questions for others who'd like to construct it (mostly from scratch).

One of the most discussed things in this thread I noticed was construction of the jacket, and from our experience, you won't get the right look with purchasing it. An issue I encountered when patterning the jacket and looking at the promo shots versus the behind-the-scenes shots was that they didn't match in fabric and pattern. This is because they use TWO jackets on the show (confirmed by a wardrobe employee who worked on set): one that's full leather, the "hero" jacket, that they use for promos, standing or sitting shots; and the "screen" jacket, which has elastic panels under the arms and down the waist. This is so the jacket leather doesn't tear while the stunt double is moving around and doing parkour.
When we figured that out, we went with the on-screen version, because it breathes better and leaves room for muscle growth. The body of it is lambskin, with the accordion panels and hood out of deerhide suede to get that different texture/color - I kind of wish we could've used a heavier ounce leather, but I don't have an industrial machine through which to sew it, so I think we did alright given the limitations. The ombre was achieved with airbrushing a diluted acrylic with fabric medium, then rubbing a lot of leather wax and sealant in layers over it.

Other notes:
* The shoes are Nike Jordan air, found for a super duper cheap $40; Roy's have some kind of metal encrusting on the tongue that we made with reversing rhinestones, but didn't bother to cover the Nike logo on the sides because why not.
* Mask is one from a previous Red Lantern costume, just didn't feel the need to order a new mask at the time
* Gloves are motorcycle riding gloves, we didn't like his archery gloves too terribly much and were okay with replacing them
* The bow is a children's ordered from Amazon and painted/glossed, it's re-curve so it generally was the right shape/size without investing $200 in the original children's bow.

View attachment 462166View attachment 462167View attachment 462170View attachment 462168

I've got a question about the belts - do they look to you guys like they're lined in red, or it's a fused red leather edge? They're obviously custom built with 3oz or thicker leather, but the red "piping" to them is unique that replica cosplay stores haven't been able to recreate properly. Thoughts?
If you have any questions about the construction process, or feedback/critique/comments, they'd be very welcome! (and also let me know if this was dropped in the wrong thread, I wanted to keep it relevant to the source materials I drew them from here).

So, so excellent. Those subtle details that I've seen missing from the ones you can purchase are what have been holding me back. I wish I had the talent to put a proper jacket all together like that! Or the money to commission one!

Excellent work, and definitely a welcome post in these parts :D

One of the most discussed things in this thread I noticed was construction of the jacket, and from our experience, you won't get the right look with purchasing it. An issue I encountered when patterning the jacket and looking at the promo shots versus the behind-the-scenes shots was that they didn't match in fabric and pattern. This is because they use TWO jackets on the show (confirmed by a wardrobe employee who worked on set): one that's full leather, the "hero" jacket, that they use for promos, standing or sitting shots; and the "screen" jacket, which has elastic panels under the arms and down the waist. This is so the jacket leather doesn't tear while the stunt double is moving around and doing parkour.
When we figured that out, we went with the on-screen version, because it breathes better and leaves room for muscle growth. The body of it is lambskin, with the accordion panels and hood out of deerhide suede to get that different texture/color - I kind of wish we could've used a heavier ounce leather, but I don't have an industrial machine through which to sew it, so I think we did alright given the limitations. The ombre was achieved with airbrushing a diluted acrylic with fabric medium, then rubbing a lot of leather wax and sealant in layers over it.

The suit looks pretty nice! Great job!

However in the opinion that there is a full leather jacket, I am not sure how reliable that is, along with the fact that there is photographic proof of this not being the case for static shots. There are multiple versions of the jackets used for both Arrow and Arsenal but usually the details are identical.

In the promotional picture specifically you can see the stretch panels in the right arm.

Thanks very much!
Well, the jacket they picture on the mannequin and in road shows for promotions are full leather, they have different top seams in the obliques. A friend who worked in the civilian wardrobe confirmed they do use two different jackets, one of which is full leather, just well fitted/tailored.

So, so excellent. Those subtle details that I've seen missing from the ones you can purchase are what have been holding me back. I wish I had the talent to put a proper jacket all together like that! Or the money to commission one!

Excellent work, and definitely a welcome post in these parts :D
I appreciate it, thank you! You can always add and alter some of the pre-purchased ones, they're a good base to start from at least. If you have some basic sewing skills, the best way to go about it is making a mock-up first, patterning and fitting the costume with cheap material like muslin so you can make inexpensive mistakes and go through trial and error without cutting into expensive fabric. It's also a great way to learn to pattern the jacket and get the fitting right, I spent probably a good 2-3 days messing with a muslin copy before cutting into the leather when I was sure I had the right fit, seams, length, etc.

Been working on making the perfect arsenal mask for such a long time and I'm finally starting to (I think) get the basic shape. Let me know if there's anything i can do to improve before I sculpt. image1-2.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG Keep in mind the foam is just a prototype not final material just to see the way the shaping to a facial structure since the paper template just crinkles lol.

Thanks very much!
Well, the jacket they picture on the mannequin and in road shows for promotions are full leather, they have different top seams in the obliques. A friend who worked in the civilian wardrobe confirmed they do use two different jackets, one of which is full leather, just well fitted/tailored.

Not trying to call your contact into question, but the High Resolution image of the Mannequin shows the same seams, stretch material and details as the in show jacket. So I am not sure what is being seen or possibly just a mistake in what they saw.

Only thing I can hope now is for thea mia dearden speedy, although I doubt her costume will be anywhere near as cool as arsenal's. Makes me wonder if there's much point in continuing my arsenal build. :mad:

Oh yeah, true. But Colton Haynes will have have to agree to a new contract, and I'm not sure that'll happen because apparently that's why he left now. Also, will titans be part of the DC television universe?
I agree. It's not likely that he'll be a lead role on Titans if any. But yes it's supposed to be .

Why would you abandon a costume just because a character is not recurring now?
My first statement came out wrong... I was more thinking along the lines of, if he comes back next season he may have a new costume, so I don't want to spend too much time or money on it. I'm certainly gonna continue it, its just gonna be moved to the back burner because of other costumes.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back