Casting with Platsil Gel-10 in Smoothon Body Double mould

Jayesh Ranavaya

Hey people.

I was wondering that if I create a head mould using smoothon's body double with a hard outer shell, could I cast out of it using platsil gel-10? Its for a severed head for Halloween so need to use gel-10 for ultra realism.

I have already sculpted a head with gore detailing (cuts across face) using chavant medium clay.

Now I know they are both platinum bases silicones so they would stick together. I can't find any details about which release agent would have to be used.

Last thing I want is for the cast to stick to the mould. I really do only want to use these 2 materials as I have them already and funds are low to buy anything new.

Worst case scenario what could I use as an alternative to smoothons body double.

FuseFX has a product called Royal JeL-E that releases silicones. If you don't fancy paying that you can always just use some Vaseline.

Body Double isn't exactly the best option for your project, but if you don't plan to cast many it will work fine. I'd personally make a two piece epoxy and glass mold.

FuseFX has a product called Royal JeL-E that releases silicones. If you don't fancy paying that you can always just use some Vaseline.

Body Double isn't exactly the best option for your project, but if you don't plan to cast many it will work fine. I'd personally make a two piece epoxy and glass mold.

Thanks for your response.

One of the reasons I want a soft inner and hard outer shell is because I want create hard casts as well as soft ones in the form of masks. Therefore I need the soft inner to be hard wearing and able to do MANY casts out of it.

Which would be my best option for the inner soft mould? I may be able to get some funds together to purchase something new. Something that would be compatible with platsil gel-10 preferably.

Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back