Deathstroke Injustice Mask - First actual build

forcetrainer

Oddly enough when I started crafting foam I dove almost immediately into my foam sealing experiment. So while I got really good at sealing and painting foam, I hadn't really put anything together expect for a basic helmet.

I decided that i wanted to take a crack at the Deathstroke mask from Injustice. In hindsight I probably should've started with something a little easier and with a whole lot less pieces, but as one of my best friends always tells me, "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly." This is my first actual build of anything, so I wanted to get some comments/thoughts from folks. And don't worry - you won't hurt my feelings. Any insight is helpful in refining my techniques.

There are a few glaring bits that already stick out including: a clearly damaged edge due to the Dremel catching it and pulling it under (totally my fault), the eye patch being WAAAY too thick because I used the same thickness foam (3mm next time), and the fact that the base pepakura file is about 50% too small for my head. Regardless, I learned a lot in this build phase, and I'm going to take the mask all the way through to completion with paint.

Materials Used:
- 6mm foam from a 40"x 72" sheet - Probably used about 2.5 sq. ft. of foam.
- Contact cement - While it's a pain to work with and actual gluing is a one short deal, being able to glue part of the piece together and know it's not going anywhere is nice.
- Standard array of scissors, paper, tape, etc.

Here's the foam build with no sealing yet:

Q26JmMJ.jpg
MDIOCE4.jpg
te5vcQw.jpg

In my rush to get this done (rush being relative since this took me close to 10 hours of cutting, glaring, comparing to the 3D mockup, and so on) I didn't have any reference pictures to help me along. This is definitely another mistake because I would've caught a few oddities (especially the eye patch) if I had look reference art more than once. Again, lesson learned.

The biggest pain was definitely the stenciling. I spent the time to cut out all the stencils from paper, lay and attach on the foam, cut the foam, etc. Personally I didn't like it all that much, and I was wondering if anyone has tried use frisket film or another easy to peel off stenciling paper. It seems like it may be easier, but without having any frisket paper on hand I'm not sure how well it adheres and comes out without leaving residue.

Dude, for a first attempt at a complicated piece, this is fantastic work. If I were you, I would not spend the time to finish it. I would set it aside as a good draft, then remake it in a size that works for you. The details you captured around the eyes and on the face plate are fantastic. Really nice work!

Dude, for a first attempt at a complicated piece, this is fantastic work. If I were you, I would not spend the time to finish it. I would set it aside as a good draft, then remake it in a size that works for you. The details you captured around the eyes and on the face plate are fantastic. Really nice work!

I think you're probably right. I definitely learned a lot about the pattern doing this build, and there are a bunch of modifications I can make along with the resizing. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

That's pretty awesome. I'm thinking of creating a batman cowl using a pepecura file and I'm new to it as well. I thought it might be too hard but you inspired me to try. Thanks

Looks pretty sick indeed!! Where did you get your foam from? I'm currently looking for foam resources other than EVA from Harbor Freight.

Where I get my foam depends on the thickness. For the really thick stuff I just stick with the Home Depot/Harbor freight floor mats. It can be a pain if you ever need to sand off the diamond plating, but you can't beat the price. It's unfortunately the best option since it doesn't roll, so shipping would be massive from any of the foam wholesalers.

For the rest, it depends on the size:

2mm
Darice Foamie Roll from Amazon. You won't find foam this thin from the larger wholesalers. Great for embellishments and layered effects.

3mm and 6mm
EVA sheets from Foamorder.com. The sheets are great because they're huge (48" x 80") and can you make large pieces from them. However, shipping can make it expensive.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back