Luke ESB Lightsaber

firebladejedi

I have had this repro Graflex laying around for a while and thought i would convert it into an ESB saber for a change. I was going to do the Hoth version but ended up doing the V2.

I spose if i am going for 100% accuracy i should add a screw to the clamp lever and take off the top red button, let me know what you think.

Heres some pics..

S4200096.jpg

S4200095.jpg

S4200094.jpg

S4200093.jpg

S4200092.jpg

S4200091.jpg

S4200090.jpg

S4200089.jpg

S4200088.jpg

I love the Luke ESB saber. ......

..........but..................

What are you trying to achieve? :$

The screen used sabers never had that textured tape, and the "ranch" version is basically a cobbled together last remnant of the Luke sabers....with many things wrong.

I'd get some smooth mylar to cover the GRAFLEX logo on the clamp band and call it sort of screen accurate.

Just my opinion, but the Ranch sabre sucks as far as credulity goes....( and then the bearded one uses it as a template for the ROTS sabre.....)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clancampbell @ Mar 17 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1442104[/snapback]</div>
I love the Luke ESB saber. ......

..........but..................

What are you trying to achieve? :$

The screen used sabers never had that textured tape, and the "ranch" version is basically a cobbled together last remnant of the Luke sabers....with many things wrong.

I'd get some smooth mylar to cover the GRAFLEX logo on the clamp band and call it sort of screen accurate.

Just my opinion, but the Ranch sabre sucks as far as credulity goes....( and then the bearded one uses it as a template for the ROTS sabre.....)
[/b]

Nice build, firebladejedi.

Some people like the textured tape. I think the machined texture on the ROTS saber is a classier version of that particular detail.

Anyway, the Ranch saber has been the basis for many, many replicas over the years. In recent times, however, we've gotten better reference on the screen-used props (which the Ranch saber almost certainly used to be before it was modified).

The MR version of the saber could have used a simulation of the 1/2" smooth tape. Despite being a slightly idealized version of the prop, the saber just doesn't look quite right to me without that shiny band across the middle.

Also, the MR version has silver rivets in the grip notches. While this matches early publicity photos (and what appears to be a few shots in the actual film, such as when Luke hits the ground after being knocked off his Tauntaun), my detailed study of the ESB DVD on a 42" HD tv indicates that the majority of the screen-used sabers had black (or painted black) screws/rivets in the grip notches.

Nice custom. I still have much to learn about the ESB Luke, but when it comes to trivial details, I'd rather just take what I like, and do it my own way.

What's the best kit out there?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amanaman @ Mar 17 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1442117[/snapback]</div>
Nice custom. I still have much to learn about the ESB Luke, but when it comes to trivial details, I'd rather just take what I like, and do it my own way.

What's the best kit out there?
[/b]

You'd probably want to find an original Graflex flashgun (or a replica) and then get some Blastech parts.

http://www.blast-tech.com/

Thanks for all the comments.

I have a little brass screw from my original graflex that i butchered for my rotj vader saber, its a box of bits somewhere i will have to look for it.

As for the rivets in the grips i, sure they will rust or i could paint them.

I like this version as its a bit different from the sabers we usually see.

Wow, it's been a long time since this subject came up.

The Hoth and Bespin Saber and the Dagobah Saber were not the same saber.

The Bespin was the 'hero' and had:
Silver rivets/screws in the grips
Both red buttons, no beer tab
Smooth 1/4 mylar tape on the clamp
Silver lines of HP-44 away from clamp lever
and the d-ring was 'upside-down' attached with rivets

The Ranch saber had:
Screws in the grips that were either black to start with or silver and turned black due to all the water/moisture during filming
It also had TEXTURED tape on the clamp
Small 2mm screws in the top of each grip
Brass screw holding lever to clamp
Silver lined of HP-44 toward clamp lever
A brass slotted head screw holding the clamp together (with lever tab present)
Only the bottom red button present
No beer tab

Hero:
NESB007-vi.jpg

Ranch:
NESB008-vi.jpg

Hero on top, Ranch on bottom:
NESB004-vi.jpg

Ranch in middle, Hero on bottom:
NESB002-vi.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clancampbell @ Mar 17 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1442104[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

You see the Textured tape every single time Luke is on screen in Dagobah.

Blas-tech it is, then. Thanks.

I'm leaning on the Parks for the pre-drilled holes, but I don't want to buy it from them directly. Rather pay much less and not support them.

I have a question about the bottom. The belt clip brace on the MR version is flipped around, which one is right?
All4AtAnAngle.jpg

In ANH, the clamp and bottom tube were connected together, the 'top' was the part that got spun around.

The bottom d-ring is correct on both versions depending if the clamp/bubble strip is on the left side or the right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(James Kenobi 1138 @ Mar 17 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]1442141[/snapback]</div>
Wow, it's been a long time since this subject came up.

The Hoth and Bespin Saber and the Dagobah Saber were not the same saber.

The Hoth/Bespin were the 'hero' and had:
Silver rivets/screws in the grips
Both red buttons, no beer tab
Smooth 1/4 mylar tape on the clamp
Silver lines of HP-44 away from clamp lever
and the d-ring was 'upside-down' attached with rivets

The Dagobah/Ranch saber had:
Screws in the grips that were either black to start with or silver and turned black due to all the water/moisture during filming
It also had TEXTURED tape on the clamp
Small 2mm screws in the top of each grip
Brass screw holding lever to clamp
Silver lined of HP-44 toward clamp lever
A brass slotted head screw holding the clamp together (with lever tab present)
Only the bottom red button present
No beer tab

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clancampbell @ Mar 17 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1442104[/snapback]

[/b]

You see the Textured tape every single time Luke is on screen in Dagobah.
[/b][/quote]

No, you don't.

I've checked carefully. The Dagobah saber had the smooth 1/2" tape, but is missing the upper red button, like the Ranch saber.

As far as I can tell, the textured tape NEVER appeared on-screen.

Also, the Hoth and Bespin sabers both appear to have black screws/rivets. In the Wampa cave and when Luke escapes from his snowspeeder, the D-Ring bracket is not upside-down, as opposed to the Ranch saber (it looks like the MR version), and the rivets appear to be black. Also, when Luke is in the Bespin corridor (and Artoo is bumping against his leg), you can see the right-side-up d-ring bracket, the 1/2" silver tape, and the black rivets/screws (in a well-lit shot, no less).

Check out the Parts of SW page:

http://www.partsofsw.com/esbsksab.htm

The first photo at the top of the page is the Ranch version as it was in the 90s (rusty screws, upside-down d-ring bracket, textured tape) , the second is from the snowspeeder escape (black rivets/screws, right-side-up d-ring bracket, 1/2" tape), and the third is an early pre-production/publicity shot (siver rivets, right-side-up d-ring bracket, 1/2" tape).

Here's my breakdown of the ESB sabers:

PRE-PRODUCTION AND HERO VERSIONS:

As in A New Hope, Luke's lightsaber was made from a vintage Graflex 3-cell flashgun. It appears that the prop department referenced pre-production photos from A New Hope, since the clamp is in the same position on the ESB props as it was in the pre-production ANH version.

However, although the new props were intended to represent the same lightsaber that had been given to Luke by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first film, there are several noticable differences:

1. Six (instead of A New Hope's seven) black plastic or rubber grips were attached to the lower half of the flashgun, and the edges are not rounded as they were in the first film (they are instead at 90-degree angles). Further, to help keep the grips attached to the flashgun, notches were cut into the lower part of each grip's ridge, and small rivets or screws were added. The grips are at(looking at the saber from the rear with the rabbit ears/red button at 12:00) 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, and 11:00.

In all of the early pre-production/publicity photos, these rivets/screws are SILVER (which is the version the Master Replicas Luke ESB LE and SE props are based on).

However, in nearly every scene of the film itself (except for one shot of Luke getting knocked off his tauntaun by the Wampa ice creature, at least) these rivets/screws are either BLACK, or are painted BLACK (to disguise the fact that the grips are being held on in such a manner).

Also, some (possibly all) versions of the hero prop have small screws added at the top of each grip to the right of the ridge (just under the Graflex's middle band) to help reinforce the grips even more. The Master Replicas version of the prop does not replicate this feature.

2. A strip of 1/2"-wide smooth chrome tape was wrapped around the flashguns' middle band to cover the "GRAFLEX" imprint.

3. An old HP-44 computer card edge connector was cut down to 13 gold bars (which taper to silver lines), and slid into the lashgun's mounting clamp (with the silver lines facing away from the clamp lever).

4. The "beer tab"/retaining ring (and the post it was mounted on) around the Graflex's knurled red button was removed.

5. A second knurled knob/red button from another, identical Graflex flashgun replaced the test light lens on the flashgun.

6. A d-ring mount (actually the mounting clamp from a Kobold flashgun--the same type of flashgun used to make Luke and Han's droid callers) was riveted to the bottom of the flashgun, and a d-ring (much larger than the d-ring on Luke's ANH saber) was attached.

THE DAGOBAH SABER:

A variant of the main hero props can be see in the film during all the Dagobah scenes. This version appears identical to the hero versions, except that the upper knurled/red button behind the Graflex's "rabbit ears" is missing, leaving only an empty socket.

It has been speculated that because of this common trait (the missing red button), the "Dagobah" and "Skywalker Ranch" (see below) sabers are one and the same.

THE SKYWALKER RANCH VARIANT:

The only surviving Luke ESB saber is known as the "Skywalker Ranch saber". These details differentiate it from the other HERO versions:

1. There is no knurled button behind the "rabbit ears", just an empty socket with the two gold pins. In recent years, the other red button (which replaced the Graflex's test light/lens) was removed from the lower socket and screwed in behind the rabbit ears.

2. The clamp lever is screwed down against the clamp with a brass slotted head screw. Also, the HP-44 edge connector is upside-down compared to other versions. On this version, the tin silver lines are facing the clamp lever.

It is possible that sometime after filming, the clamp lever broke or became loose, and the edge connector feel out and was put back in upside-down prior to the lever being screwed on.

3. A piece of 1"-wide, textured tape was added to the middle band to cover the "GRAFLEX" imprint. It is important to point out that THIS TEXTURED TAPE IS NOT SEEN IN THE FILM. It may very well have been added AFTER filming, possibly to replace the 1/2"-wide smooth tape.

4. The d-ring mount is attached to the flashgun upside-down compared to other versions, and is screwed on. The mounting gear in the grip notches are rusty phillips-head screws, and the are also small screws to the right of each grip ridge.

It is more than likely that the current state of the prop is not how it was during filming.

Although it has been speculated that the "Dagobah" saber and this saber are one and the same, please note that the Dagobah saber definitely had the 1/2" smooth chrome tape around the middle band in the film, whereas the "Ranch" saber currently has the 1" textured tape.

It is possible that the 1/2" tape was replaced (possibly because the it was weakened and decayed/fell off after being submerged in the first scene in the swamp on Dagobah).

This battered variant later served as the basis for Anakin Skywalker's ROTS saber.

STUNT SABER # 1:

There is some photographic evidence that indicates that at least one stunt/dueling saber prop was nearly identical to the HERO props, save for the addition of a wooden "blade".

STUNT SABER # 2:

Another bladed stunt version of Luke's saber appears to have a black middle band. This saber was presumably the one converted into Darth Vader's ROTJ saber.

STUNT SABER # 3:

For the shot of Luke's hand being severed, what appears to be a reused saber from A New Hope was used. Photos indicate that it has 7 grips without notches/mounting gear (instead of the 6 seen on other ESB sabers), the red button with tab/post in the upper button socket, the test lens in the lens socket (as in ANH), a missing bulb release clamp (the "rabbit ears"), and no d-ring mount. This saber was attached to a dummy hand for the shot.

You might be right, I don't have access to my reference pics at work. I'll check it when I get home but I remember the textured tape being on that saber.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(James Kenobi 1138 @ Mar 17 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]1442156[/snapback]</div>
You might be right, I don't have access to my reference pics at work. I'll check it when I get home but I remember the textured tape being on that saber.
[/b]

I think the main reason people connect the Ranch and Dagobah sabers is because they're both missing the upper red button. But the Dagobah saber absolutely had 1/2" silver tape during filming. The textured tape may have been added later on, possibly as a quickie replacement.

HD screencaps:

http://tiedostot.pilvikaupunki.net/TESB108...agobah_0082.png

(No red button, 1/2" tape, black screws/rivets)

I'm still not sure of the orientation of the HP-44 bus connector and the d-ring bracket on the Dagobah saber, but in all other aspects (aside from the missing red button) it seems the same as the Hoth/Bespin-type heroes.

Also, in the "Yoda, you seek Yoda." shot, you can see the missing red button, but you can also see the 1/2" tape before Hamill's hand comes to rest at his side (and obscures most of the saber).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amanaman @ Mar 17 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]1442146[/snapback]</div>
Blas-tech it is, then. Thanks.

I'm leaning on the Parks for the pre-drilled holes, but I don't want to buy it from them directly. Rather pay much less and not support them.

I have a question about the bottom. The belt clip brace on the MR version is flipped around, which one is right?
[/b]

If you mean the d-ring bracket on the ESB saber, the Ranch version has it upside-down (I'm not sure about the Dagobah version, but if those two props are one and the same, then the bracket was probably like that during filming, too), while all other versions have it the other way around (the way it looks on the MR version).

Nice lookin' saber.

I made my latest Luke ESB with the textured tape too, just because I think it looks cool. :D

Accuracy is one thing, but sometimes it's good to go with what you like (my one is for trooping with).

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back