New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

The ribs on the tail end look a little skinny and is it an optical illusion or do they look a little pinched where they meet the inside of the body?

This is a hand assembled prototype with some paint texture and metal finishing still under review for the final production units. This product is bound to have it's own variations from Greg Jein's Phaser either because of production decisions and the fact it's going to a general audience and is not meant as an expensive exact "hero" replica, but an affordable consumer item.

They've done a really great job, and figuring in the stackable carrying case, the "Force Feedback" vibration and the side dilithium chamber dial that actually reveals a glowing chamber, how can you not geek out over this.

Last edited:
If you really think about it, the phaser from Star Trek II TWOK would make better remotes. Have the forward end slide off, as I remember seeing from one blueprint, flip it--and there are all the TV/cable buttons on a flat surface.

No communicator cell phone yet?

The metal bumper that goes around it (if memory serves) could be a slide out tab with a see-through display...later added...

You don't really need a phone. Against today's smart phones, you probably would lose functionality as you strived for accuracy. What you need is a communicator replica that is blue tooth in which you can access via your phone. This way you can always have your communicator even when you decide to change phones.

I've seen those before. Fairly custom jobs that cost a king's ransom.

Even if this has shiny metal parts, it is still one of the coolest (and most accurate) licensed phasers ever made for $150. Now if only WAND would consider a TOS communicator and tricorder, whether they realize them as remote controls, mp3 players, or smoothie makers -- if they are as nicely done as the phaser appears to be, I wouldn't really care what "true life" function they choose to incorporate in order to adhere to whatever whacked out guidelines the licensees have.

I discovered this at SDCC and was really impressed. Held it in my hand. Weight feels good. It's a gorgeous phaser. The lighting effects are kind of nice too. REALLY want to get this. Oh, and the two guys doing the demos were friendly and very professional. Got a GOOD feeling about this. Plan on ordering at Thinkgeek.com

Even if this has shiny metal parts, it is still one of the coolest (and most accurate) licensed phasers ever made for $150. Now if only WAND would consider a TOS communicator and tricorder, whether they realize them as remote controls, mp3 players, or smoothie makers -- if they are as nicely done as the phaser appears to be, I wouldn't really care what "true life" function they choose to incorporate in order to adhere to whatever whacked out guidelines the licensees have.

"The Wand Company spent 18 months on the remote"

You might have a wait Ted/Dr McCoy.

Anyway, I have 2 on preorder from StarTrek.com and I hope they are part of the first shipment. Just in case I have an email alert set from ThinkGeek.com when they get theirs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews come in on this once it is released. Funny how a company that makes TV Remotes is now producing some of the best affordable prop replicas out there. Funny old world, ain't it?

Finally, a pic showing the top. Swiped off instagram. I played with the colors and contrast so don't read too much into the crappy photo.

sdcc-phaser-140727.jpg

Alright, first batch of pics!
Phaser in hand

Case and parts

Screwdriver

Handle

Dilithium crystal chamber

No flash

flash

Stand

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back